When To Flip For Optimal Yield

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PassTheJ

Basically you stress your plant. Stretch it and hook it. Do this until you fill your floor. So if you have 4 plants in a 4x4, you want to fill that floor until you don't see it anymore.

As you fill the floor by stressing your plant, it naturally gets shorter as you pull it wider and the end game is do cover the floor while hitting about a 1/3 height that youd prefer before going to flower which tends to... grow 3x the size..

As you full the floor you're also topping and supercropping because there's no point of stressing if you ain't making new tops along side to fill the canopy.

Fill the floor..
Fill the canopy..

Max yeild regardless how many plants you have.

P

PassTheJ

Please no God/Heaven talk on the farm. LMAO. Same with politics. Way too subjective of topics. Hahahaha. You scrog @PassTheJ ? What kind of medium you grow in?

No scrogg. 60% foxfarm ocean 30% peat 10% perlite vermiculite. Basically the same crap they sell now as pro mixes. I make sure to add a shitload of... I forget the name. Endomy... something. Basically living organisms for your soil.

The fluffier the soil, the better the root. I also starfish the clone roots and I set clones directly into 5gl so it registers the space from the get go..

All helps..

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

How many plants you typically work with and how long to fill the footprint of your flower. (4x4)? 30 days? More? You said you used 5 gal? I'm just trying to compare notes and figure a solid system for my 5x5. How many to run thru veg and how long before flip.

P

PassTheJ

How many plants you typically work with and how long to fill the footprint of your flower. (4x4)? 30 days? More? You said you used 5 gal? I'm just trying to compare notes and figure a solid system for my 5x5. How many to run thru veg and how long before flip.

Time is just a reference. Also quality of lights play a big part in how fast you can veg out.

In my case, I veg for 2 months post clone transplant. Usually run 3 toppings and stressing sessions every 3 weeks and 2 super cropping sessions the first two times I top.

I have a 4 x 8. I've done 20 plants, 15, and now I'm down to 10. But only because I like playing around with my veggies.. if I didn't stress them as much, I could do 15. If I don't stress at all and the plants just grow upwards then 20. But veg would only be 30 days in 1gl pots. Otherwise to much growth and canopy gets insane to handle..

I leave you with this advice..

There is no right way of growing weed but many way to grow it wrong.

Like children, feed one kid 3 times a day and another kid 5 times a day. As long as its nutritional and praportioned, both kids will turn out healthy. But if you starve your kids, they'd die regardless..

Same point applies and also why there's is no freaking standard. You have to experience it yourself while spending hours on forums gaining experience through others.

In the end its really preference and the faster you realize it, the less sleep you'll lose wondering if you should have rubbed you left nut on the stem or your right nut on the foliage.

Last edited:
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Time is just a reference. Also quality of lights play a big part in how fast you can veg out.

In my case, I veg for 2 months post clone transplant. Usually run 3 toppings and stressing sessions every 3 weeks and 2 super cropping sessions the first two times I top.

I have a 4 x 8. I've done 20 plants, 15, and now I'm down to 10. But only because I like playing around with my veggies.. if I didn't stress them as much, I could do 15. If I don't stress at all and the plants just grow upwards then 20. But veg would only be 30 days in 1gl pots. Otherwise to much growth and canopy gets insane to handle..

I leave you with this advice..

There is no right way of growing weed but many way to grow it wrong.

Like children, feed one kid 3 times a day and another kid 5 times a day. As long as its nutritional and praportioned, both kids will turn out healthy. But if you starve your kids, they'd die regardless..

Same point applies and also why there's is no freaking standard. You have to experience it yourself while spending hours on forums gaining experience through others.

In the end its really preference and the faster you realize it, the less sleep you'll lose wondering if you should have rubbed you left nut on the stem or your right nut on the foliage.
I'm a right nut on foliage kind of guy. Sometime the tip dangled in the tops. LMAO. Good info man. That's why I ask everybody's methods. It's all relevant and irrelevant at the same time. Just picking out the good stuff.

Junk

Junk

Did a scrogg my first grow with RDWC system and boy was that difficult. Lost my second grow and 9n my third I think I finally figured it out. The nutrition part but when it comes to training and filling space the best I'm still learning.

It's difficult to decide what lower growth to just get rid of because it's not worth the fluf I'll get in the end and the drain it will have on the overall growth of my girls.
Imo u need to grow a plant at least once in ur setup to know when to flip it. N my rdwc/scrog, I top twice and flip, leave s me 6-8 tops per, which is usually more than enough.

But I just did my first real og, and 6-8 wasn't enough, but next time, I'll know.

Lower growth I decide where to go based on the stretch and wattage. But again, I need to grow it once to know exactly where.

Imo, lollipop hard. Just pick a point on the plant, and take everything below it. Anything that doesn't reach the scrog I remove

S

Shawnery

The thing is with the way my plants are growing there's nowhere to stretch it to. They're already as wide as the five gallon bucket they're attached to. By the time they've been vegging for another month they're all going to be touching each other.

I've topped them 3 times and it's really increased the bottom growth. I'm doing eight plants 5-gallon pots rdwc system in a 5 by eight and a half space. The other foot and a half by 5 is being used for devices. I have a really bad back and when I scrogged last time it made it very difficult for me to clean out the middle of the plants. I ended up getting a lot of dead growth because of that.

I guess we'll see what happens!

P

PassTheJ

In a 5gl, I try to stretch it out 8-10 inches past edge. In a 4x8, 10 plants fill the floor pretty evenly.

I love topping a few times over without stressing and letting it all bush up. Then give it a nice pull and watch 8 tops rise up. Like little bud huts running along a road..

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Sounds to me like the footprint of your flower area is full. Flip that shit. Lol. Thin out the lower third of the plants (lollipop) and go for it. Place any supports in where needed since no scrog.

S

Shawnery

Another off topic question.

I'm losing a .1 to .2 of EC per day and finding that as soon as my leaves fully mature the plant starts cannibalizing them. The plant is growing new healthy foliage hand over fist but it seems to be at the cost of mature foliage.

Is this normal or a sign that I need to up my EC? In the past week it's gone from 1.6 to 1.1, those are rounded off.

S

Shawnery

Some thing must have eaten your nuits, plants maybe?

In a perfect system EC should stay stable, PH should rise and Nutrient Solution should fall.

I get where it's going but thanks. The point was, what is the connection between the plants cannibalizing their mature leaves and the EC falling so quickly.

S

Shawnery

Obviously this entire conversation only really applies to growers involved in some kind of training, correct?

I can't even think of reason not to train your plant in some way. I'm sure that an oversight made by a newb. I assume really only a sog makes sense in terms of not training?

P

PassTheJ

Obviously this entire conversation only really applies to growers involved in some kind of training, correct?

I can't even think of reason not to train your plant in some way. I'm sure that an oversight made by a newb. I assume really only a sog makes sense in terms of not training?

You don't have 2 train anything. You can fit as many half gl pots a tent can house and transition into flower on day 25 and wait till the plant matures and transitions. No stress.. No topping..

You'll have a canopy filled with single stem swinging dicks..

No one would do something like that only because it's not very effective taking care of 40 plants in a 4x4.

But it's not a wrong way of growing. Just kind of stupid.

S

Shawnery

Back handed comment of the day!

It's not the wrong way to grow, just stupid.

:D

Junk

Junk

The thing is with the way my plants are growing there's nowhere to stretch it to.
By "stretch" I mean after you flip them to 12/12, and they go through the phase where the grow taller rapidly.

Your q was about when to flip for optimal yield. My point was you need to grow it once to really know. It depends on your height, lights, conditions, how dialed etc. If you post a pic, many people on here could tell you if you are there yet.

If you have already filled out a canopy, in DWC it's time to clean up and flip. When you clean up (lollipop) pick a height, and anything not reaching that point take off. Don't be afraid to be aggressive, it's just going to crowded out after the stretch and produce larf.

Top Bottom