When to start seeds indoors

• Thread starter oosik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

12/12 and later for bloom happens on the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere (different latitudes may have some variation).

There’s also a website that will give you the daylight hours to months so you can plan accordingly based on your location, since the equinox is a “general” approximation (and I’m not sure if that counts twilight hours or not).
Yeah it usually takes them at least a couple weeks to realize the days are shortening before they flip to flower naturally. Summer solstice is June 21st, mine are usually starting flower, or at least preflower by July... that obviously varies by strain. Harvesting anything before October here is usually wishful thinking if it's a photo.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I live in CT, we start our seedlings in April and they go out after memorial day, that gives them 2 months to get big enough to handle a cold snap if one occurs, we chop in October.
Seedlings seem to be able to handle cold, as long as it doesn't go below freezing.

I used to grow outdoors in Connecticut, before climate change. I remember breaking up soil in May while the soil was still semi-frozen. I also planted seedlings, and the next night -- snow flurries. All seedlings survived, though some turned white before recovering.

grnmtn

grnmtn

Are you asking that so you can say it doesn't matter how early you start them, they will still have to flower for the same amount of time once they flip after the solstice? Because now you don't have to cause I just did lol. I'm sure there's tricks people use, like flipping to flower before planting... but that's just asking for a reveg or herm if you ask me lol.
I was seriously wondering the reason, not to counter with anything. However what you said was true!

Reactions: TSD
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I have a question. You mentioned starting Sativas early? Is that so they grow bigger?
Not necessarily. Flowering and maturing will still happen according to it's own clock. But it will give you a chance to prune, top, work with it a little more.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yeah it usually takes them at least a couple weeks to realize the days are shortening before they flip to flower naturally. Summer solstice is June 21st, mine are usually starting flower, or at least preflower by July... that obviously varies by strain. Harvesting anything before October here is usually wishful thinking if it's a photo.
Our house is in the northeast near Canada. Last year was the first time I ever grew outdoors and it just happened to be an unusually late, warm fall. To harvest Nov 1st is probably extremely rare. I think most peopke harvested closer to Oct 1st just out of habit. One of the things I'm going to try is some sort of makeshift umbrellas for late season rains. If I can keep a certain amount of water off of them in the last month.......it might help with potential mold issues. Another is one of those outdoor heat guns......they look like a little jet engine. If I can squeeze out an extra few weeks.......if it gets below 30 at night/early morning and I can prevent frost issues by raising the temps 5+ degrees at key times, maybe it can make a difference and I can harvest a month later.

grnmtn

grnmtn

Our house is in the northeast near Canada. Last year was the first time I ever grew outdoors and it just happened to be an unusually late, warm fall. To harvest Nov 1st is probably extremely rare. I think most peopke harvested closer to Oct 1st just out of habit. One of the things I'm going to try is some sort of makeshift umbrellas for late season rains. If I can keep a certain amount of water off of them in the last month.......it might help with potential mold issues. Another is one of those outdoor heat guns......they look like a little jet engine. If I can squeeze out an extra few weeks.......if it gets below 30 at night/early morning and I can prevent frost issues by raising the temps 5+ degrees at key times, maybe it can make a difference and I can harvest a month later.
I'm close to you. Yes, rare year last year! With care we could make it to Nov. Covered a few real cold nights and all was good.

E

elusiveshame

I look back and wonder how big they would be if I had them in my tent with humidity. 3 days and all the new seedlings look like they will surpass the older ones. I would not have planted 17 more in the interim. Life lesson learned, if you have a tent just set it up and then start. I've had the tent for 2 months, and i set it up Saturday. Let the race begin.

If they’re photos, just veg them a little longer and they’ll catch up
Seedlings seem to be able to handle cold, as long as it doesn't go below freezing.

I used to grow outdoors in Connecticut, before climate change. I remember breaking up soil in May while the soil was still semi-frozen. I also planted seedlings, and the next night -- snow flurries. All seedlings survived, though some turned white before recovering.

Ground was still frozen last April, so while we do get less snow than we did in the 80’s and 90’s, we still get harsh winter conditions through April.

oosik

oosik

Is there a fertilizer you use when they are 3 inches high? Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Top Bottom