When to start topping your plants?

• Thread starter thomas2402k
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thomas2402k

thomas2402k

What are your alls recommendations on when to start topping your plant? Do you do the pinch method or do you go in with scissors? I’m about to replant into her final pot, should I wait to top until it’s transferred or does it not stress the plant that bad?
Planted 4/21
When to start topping your plants

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

You want to start training about Node 5 so you have a little ways to go yet.
Give these a watch. They will help you big time!

Stokes

Stokes

When i top i wait for 5 nodes. Lop off the top 2 and clean up the extreme lowers.

I only recommend it when you have several plants and are trying to maximize your canopy. If thats the only plant i think you should just lst it and focus on training, you’d be surprised at what just lst can do

Stokes

Stokes

That does look kind of chunky LOL I use Coast of Maine now that I'm in Maine but I've used loads of ffof, but never tried Happy frog, thanks for the heads up

I used it for a few years. FFOF was my go to for my first 2 years of growing.Happy frog was the base of my mix until i discovered promix. Quality has been steadily declining for several years, it seemed that the mulchy stuff was a regional thing, now its everywhere.

CoM is a much more complete soil, just want to shove my face in it. Smells wonderful. Only knock on it is the fungus gnats from time to time.

Newty

Newty

Idk where some people get their Fox Farm soils, I wonder if they separate bags by quailty and sell lower quailty in bulk at a reduced cost to some suppliers.

I buy my Happy Frog and Ocean Forest from the same local supplier, I've been buying it for years and have yet to have a bag I thought was crap or declining in quailty. Just picked up 4 bags and the 5th free, this is how I always buy it. I got 2 Happy Frog and 3 Ocean Forest, 1 of each has been opened and quailty is great like always.

I'll comment on topping as well.
If you have multiple plants in the same tent and they are different heights, you can cut each plant at a different node in order to make the plants the same height again so you have a more even canopy throughout your grow.
You will have to do some additional training later to keep it that way but topping so they are same height is a good place to start.

You still have a little bit to go before you top but I always make sure my plants are established in their final pot before I make the cut.

If this is your first time, I would use the cut method, which is called topping.

FIM is the pinch method.

I've fimmed a few times but topping seems to stop the stretch more so I stick to topping.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I top for the first time above the second 5-finger node, which is often the fourth node of true leaves. That usually happens while the plants are still in solos in my seedling area. I just pinch the stem off with my thumbnail against my index finger. Lots of ways to train. That's just what's worked for me.

thomas2402k

thomas2402k

Idk where some people get their Fox Farm soils, I wonder if they separate bags by quailty and sell lower quailty in bulk at a reduced cost to some suppliers.

I buy my Happy Frog and Ocean Forest from the same local supplier, I've been buying it for years and have yet to have a bag I thought was crap or declining in quailty. Just picked up 4 bags and the 5th free, this is how I always buy it. I got 2 Happy Frog and 3 Ocean Forest, 1 of each has been opened and quailty is great like always.

If you have multiple plants in the same tent and they are different heights, you can cut each plant at a different node in order to make the plants the same height again so you have a more even canopy throughout your grow.
You will have to do some additional training later to keep it that way but topping so they are same height is a good place to start.

You still have a little bit to go before you top but I always make sure my plants are established in their final pot before I make the cut.

If this is your first time, I would use the cut method, which is called topping.

FIM is the pinch method.

I've fimmed a few times but topping seems to stop the stretch more so I stick to topping.
Not sure where you’re from so no clue if you’re familiar with the store rural king but it is a “discounted” store I guess some would say. They sell high end stuff but also have pure Chinese shit that’ll break if touched wrong. Anyways this is my very first bag of happy frog so I have absolutely no clue what it should actually look like when it’s a healthy bag. Also, the only FF product they seemed to carry was the happy frog, no ocean forest or anything else so. 2 CU FT bag for $19.99

Newty

Newty

Not sure where you’re from so no clue if you’re familiar with the store rural king but it is a “discounted” store I guess some would say. They sell high end stuff but also have pure Chinese shit that’ll break if touched wrong. Anyways this is my very first bag of happy frog so I have absolutely no clue what it should actually look like when it’s a healthy bag. Also, the only FF product they seemed to carry was the happy frog, no ocean forest or anything else so. 2 CU FT bag for $19.99
If you haven't transplanted into your final pot size, I personally do a mix of 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Happy Frog when I transplant into final pot size.

I've been using Happy Frog and Ocean Forest for quite awhile but If I'm ever able to get Pro-Mix locally or somehow aquire some, I would definitely give it a shot. If I like what it does, I would not be against switching completely.

Happy Frog and Ocean Forest at my local supply store is $20 a bag also but buy 4 get 1 free. The supply store is not a big chain store or anything like that, they sell not just everything for growing cannabis but also flowers, vegetables, etc. It's a supply/nursery/greenhouse.

This is what my Happy Frog looks like, this is 1 of the bags I just bought but it always is the same.

I don't think it's too mulchy IMO but I'll get a big piece of wood here and there but nowhere the amount shown in your original post picture.
You should see the sticks that I pulled out of the cheap stuff I got for our flowers and vegetables!
20240514 193235

20240514 193241

20240514 193254

20240514 193212

20240514 193910

20240514 193235
Stokes

Stokes

FIM is the pinch method.

This is just a theory of mine, there is absolutely no evidence to it whatsoever, but im willing to bet that Fox Farms is outsourcing alot of its workload to independent regional producers, which would explain the regional inconsistency. Its quite common practice for nurseries to fulfill demand with independent composters. Its why after the initial peak in spring the quality of local compost goes down and inconsistency goes up. I think alot of markets are opening up, and i couldnt imagine their main operation is big enough to handle the demand. I noticed that when it was only available around growshops and a select few landscaping shops around here, the product quality and was alot more consistent. Now that its available in ace hardwares and shit the quality has plummeted.

As i said, no evidence to that theory whatsoever

thomas2402k

thomas2402k

If you haven't transplanted into your final pot size, I personally do a mix of 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Happy Frog when I transplant into final pot size.

I've been using Happy Frog and Ocean Forest for quite awhile but If I'm ever able to get Pro-Mix locally or somehow aquire some, I would definitely give it a shot. If I like what it does, I would not be against switching completely.

Happy Frog and Ocean Forest at my local supply store is $20 a bag also but buy 4 get 1 free. The supply store is not a big chain store or anything like that, they sell not just everything for growing cannabis but also flowers, vegetables, etc. It's a supply/nursery/greenhouse.

This is what my Happy Frog looks like, this is 1 of the bags I just bought but it always is the same.

I don't think it's too mulchy IMO but I'll get a big piece of wood here and there but nowhere the amount shown in your original post picture.
You should see the sticks that I pulled out of the cheap stuff I got for our flowers and vegetables!
View attachment 2171394
View attachment 2171386
View attachment 2171389
View attachment 2171390
View attachment 2171391
Is there a specific mixture of pro-mix you’d prefer to get? At my local Walmart surprisingly I have pro-mix organic gardening mix and pro-mix moisture potting mix. You think I’d be better off getting a couple bags of whichever of those and using it when I transfer? Along with a healthy dose of mycorrhizae

Newty

Newty

Is there a specific mixture of pro-mix you’d prefer to get? At my local Walmart surprisingly I have pro-mix organic gardening mix and pro-mix moisture potting mix. You think I’d be better off getting a couple bags of whichever of those and using it when I transfer? Along with a healthy dose of mycorrhizae
I'm not sure on the Pro-Mix from Walmart, others might be able to give you input on that.

I seen your other thread and from the picture of your Happy Frog in your bin, it doesn't look to bad. Maybe your plant just got a little more mulch in it that wasn't mixed as well.
I honestly don't think you're going to have a problem with your grow and the Happy Frog you have is going to be fine to start your plants in.
I would either go to something else that has a little more nutrients in it when you transplant, that's why I do the 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Happy Frog.
You could switch your soil altogether or mix some of the Happy Frog you have with something else.

Stokes

Stokes

For me, in this order

HPCC
HP
BX

Edit

Maaaaaaann

I just looked on their website and they didnt list none of those. What a MASSIVE loss for soil growers

thomas2402k

thomas2402k

I'm not sure on the Pro-Mix from Walmart, others might be able to give you input on that.

I seen your other thread and from the picture of your Happy Frog in your bin, it doesn't look to bad. Maybe your plant just got a little more mulch in it that wasn't mixed as well.
I honestly don't think you're going to have a problem with your grow and the Happy Frog you have is going to be fine to start your plants in.
I would either go to something else that has a little more nutrients in it when you transplant, that's why I do the 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Happy Frog.
You could switch your soil altogether or mix some of the Happy Frog you have with something else.
@Stokes @Newty
Pretty sure it was my own fault from not thoroughly mixing the bag after putting it in the tub 😅 pic of tub and 3 different handfuls, still looks like a slight more wood material tho. Also attached at the very end is the ingredient list for the pro-mix organic, opinions?
IMG 6899
IMG 6900
IMG 6901
IMG 6902
IMG 6903

Top Bottom