When to start topping your plants?

• Thread starter thomas2402k
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stokes

Stokes

@Stokes @Newty
Pretty sure it was my own fault from not thoroughly mixing the bag after putting it in the tub 😅 pic of tub and 3 different handfuls, still looks like a slight more wood material tho. Also attached at the very end is the ingredient list for the pro-mix organic, opinions?
View attachment 2171425View attachment 2171426View attachment 2171427View attachment 2171428View attachment 2171429

Looks good. Pretty much the same thing (given peat to coco ratio) as hpcc, only a smaller fancier bag. Remember you will have to either amend it or feed immediately. It doesnt contain castings or guanos like happy frog and ocean forest

thomas2402k

thomas2402k

When i top i wait for 5 nodes. Lop off the top 2 and clean up the extreme lowers.

I only recommend it when you have several plants and are trying to maximize your canopy. If thats the only plant i think you should just lst it and focus on training, you’d be surprised at what just lst can do
I have 2 other plants of the same strain planted days later but might focus all my attention on the thriving one as my tent is only 2.7’ X 2.7’ and from my understanding this plant could produce enough to completely fill the tent.

It’s an indica that I can’t find much information on but I haven’t done a complete search for anything genetic wise. Strain name: cherry malt

Stokes

Stokes

I have 2 other plants of the same strain planted days later but might focus all my attention on the thriving one as my tent is only 2.7’ X 2.7’ and from my understanding this plant could produce enough to completely fill the tent.

It’s an indica that I can’t find much information on but I haven’t done a complete search for anything genetic wise. Strain name: cherry malt
Is that 2.7 meters?

Stokes

Stokes

Youre honestly not gonna have a whole lot of room to spread the canopy horizontally bud. I would honestly just lst. When they get to flower they double in size, sometimes triple.

What is the vertical height of your tent

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
If you haven't transplanted into your final pot size, I personally do a mix of 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Happy Frog when I transplant into final pot size.

I've been using Happy Frog and Ocean Forest for quite awhile but If I'm ever able to get Pro-Mix locally or somehow aquire some, I would definitely give it a shot. If I like what it does, I would not be against switching completely.

Happy Frog and Ocean Forest at my local supply store is $20 a bag also but buy 4 get 1 free. The supply store is not a big chain store or anything like that, they sell not just everything for growing cannabis but also flowers, vegetables, etc. It's a supply/nursery/greenhouse.

This is what my Happy Frog looks like, this is 1 of the bags I just bought but it always is the same.

I don't think it's too mulchy IMO but I'll get a big piece of wood here and there but nowhere the amount shown in your original post picture.
You should see the sticks that I pulled out of the cheap stuff I got for our flowers and vegetables!
View attachment 2171394
View attachment 2171386
View attachment 2171389
View attachment 2171390
View attachment 2171391
That’s good lookin dirt! : )

thomas2402k

thomas2402k

Youre honestly not gonna have a whole lot of room to spread the canopy horizontally bud. I would honestly just lst. When they get to flower they double in size, sometimes triple.

What is the vertical height of your tent
Height is 63 inches. Yeah that’s what I’ve learned. At the beginning of the day I thought people always topped, and did lst. The setup I got came with the twist ties for lst so I guess it works out.

Thanks for the all the advice though. Wish growing where I live wasn’t “looked down upon” so I could have hands on guidance. I might just end up creating a daily journal in a new thread and hopefully someone willing will take me under their wing lmao

Stokes

Stokes

Height is 63 inches. Yeah that’s what I’ve learned. At the beginning of the day I thought people always topped, and did lst. The setup I got came with the twist ties for lst so I guess it works out.

Thanks for the all the advice though. Wish growing where I live wasn’t “looked down upon” so I could have hands on guidance. I might just end up creating a daily journal in a new thread and hopefully someone willing will take me under their wing lmao
Thats the best thing to do. Post frequently with good pics and encourage people to chime in that notice things that you dont know to look for.

My advice is that if you run those 3 and one of them you cant keep healthy, cull it. If its not keeping up with the others. Cull it. Nobody wants to do that but if the plant wont perform you can give more space to the ones that do

thomas2402k

thomas2402k

Thats the best thing to do. Post frequently with good pics and encourage people to chime in that notice things that you dont know to look for.

My advice is that if you run those 3 and one of them you cant keep healthy, cull it. If its not keeping up with the others. Cull it. Nobody wants to do that but if the plant wont perform you can give more space to the ones that do
Yeah I didn’t really have a thought process as I germinated the first seed. Found it in a bag, germinated it, then decided to go absolutely autistic about growing and got a smart tent setup from VIVOSUN. Got carried away and germinated two more that I had found and now they are at such different stages I might just cull the two siblings. I’ve had to change the intensity of the light for the thriving plant and I don’t think the other plants are too happy about it.

Stokes

Stokes

Yeah I didn’t really have a thought process as I germinated the first seed. Found it in a bag, germinated it, then decided to go absolutely autistic about growing and got a smart tent setup from VIVOSUN. Got carried away and germinated two more that I had found and now they are at such different stages I might just cull the two siblings. I’ve had to change the intensity of the light for the thriving plant and I don’t think the other plants are too happy about it.

Part of the process dude. You learn things as you go. You had it thought out better than me. I started out with emergency blankets taped to a squat rack, in clay pots on top of a kitty litter box under a $19 amazon blurple light

IMG 0901

Mothman

Mothman

Not sure where you’re from so no clue if you’re familiar with the store rural king but it is a “discounted” store I guess some would say. They sell high end stuff but also have pure Chinese shit that’ll break if touched wrong. Anyways this is my very first bag of happy frog so I have absolutely no clue what it should actually look like when it’s a healthy bag. Also, the only FF product they seemed to carry was the happy frog, no ocean forest or anything else so. 2 CU FT bag for $19.99
Good price, and if they gotta limit what they carry, Happy Frog is not a terrible choice!

Mothman

Mothman

This is just a theory of mine, there is absolutely no evidence to it whatsoever, but im willing to bet that Fox Farms is outsourcing alot of its workload to independent regional producers, which would explain the regional inconsistency. Its quite common practice for nurseries to fulfill demand with independent composters. Its why after the initial peak in spring the quality of local compost goes down and inconsistency goes up. I think alot of markets are opening up, and i couldnt imagine their main operation is big enough to handle the demand. I noticed that when it was only available around growshops and a select few landscaping shops around here, the product quality and was alot more consistent. Now that its available in ace hardwares and shit the quality has plummeted.

As i said, no evidence to that theory whatsoever
I think you’re right, they HAVE to have regional production/packaging facilities. Maintaining consistency must be tough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom