When to Use Nettings

• Thread starter evu80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
evu80

evu80

Hey Fellow Farmers

This is my first time using a trellis netting and I'm not quite sure when to apply it to my garden.

Some farmers use them from the start to get the plants growing horizontally while others apply them when they begin to bloom.

I got 6 inch netting which was applied right after the flipped my girls and it was set about one inch above the canopy. Now looking back, this was probably a mistake cause i'm unable to get in there and continue on trimming and the net was set about 6 inches too high to start with.

I'd like to hear what works for you guys so I can incorporate each method/style into my own garden. Thanks for the tips

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
This is what I do. When I think my plants are ready to be spread out I put the net on. I then veg for another week and flip. I experimented a little this round and I trimmed everything below the net after the first week of flower. Seems to be working great.

Chobble

Chobble

Early Veg, Late veg, Flower.

Early Veg is a box around the plant spreading the branches out

Late Veg is similiar, Spreading branches out as seen fit.

Flower is a blanket that spreads the colas apart from eachother.

Chobble

true grit

true grit

Heres what I do-
per 4x4 table I build a 1" pvc square with semi adjustable height legs. I drop the square with netting directly onto the plant tops at flip- as in plants are pressed down to begin scrog. I make sure to spread and fill teh net space. After about a week or two when the dominant tops protrude through screen i clear out all lower growth.

Once tops get established and you figure the height, i put bamboo sticks down center of each of the adjustable legs (this requires a drilled hole on top rail pvc) and use those sticks to put on a second trellis that will support the finished weight. Theres a good 2-3wks before you need the second trellis, so if you defoliate and remove unnecessary growth before that theres not much work to do and everything is supported! good luck.

evu80

evu80

hey guys thanks for the tip.

Is there is certain size netting you are using to press down on the plants during veg? I have 6 inch netting i got from the hydro store and it doesnt quite work the way I envisioned it. I'll have to try your way Truegrit the next round. The girls are 12 days into bloom and theyre stretched vertically through the netting. I built my own 8x8 table and right now its impossible to defoliate without having to remove the net.

is there anything wrong with waiting for the stretch to complete say in week 2 to 3 to defoliate and remove unnecessary growth and then apply teh netting?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

hey guys thanks for the tip.

Is there is certain size netting you are using to press down on the plants during veg? I have 6 inch netting i got from the hydro store and it doesnt quite work the way I envisioned it. I'll have to try your way Truegrit the next round. The girls are 12 days into bloom and theyre stretched vertically through the netting. I built my own 8x8 table and right now its impossible to defoliate without having to remove the net.

is there anything wrong with waiting for the stretch to complete say in week 2 to 3 to defoliate and remove unnecessary growth and then apply teh netting?

Actually the problem with waiting til after the stretch to apply the net is that you are defeating the purpose of the net in the first place. When you put a net over your plants you are suppose to manipulate the bud sites to grow thru each hole/square, that includes the top branches being forced underneath the net as they grow and the lower branches being brought up thru the net until you have an even canopy. Now if you wait til after the 12/12 stretch to apply the net then there will be no more upward growth to train thru the holes, so IMO there is no point of putting the net on after the stretch.

true grit

true grit

No theres nothing wrong with waiting that far in since it sounds like you missed the initial training period. Sounds like you will still need another net if they get too tall and need support. Hell you are only 12 days in, you could theortically put up the second net now and careafully bend/super crop them to fill that screen and go from there. I do my first defoliation around day 7-10 then another once stretch is finished and again mid flower....actually i continually defoliate and remove unwanted bud sites all the way through bloom. Its good for em.

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

never used a net before but looking at pics of the result will def give it a go

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No theres nothing wrong with waiting that far in since it sounds like you missed the initial training period. Sounds like you will still need another net if they get too tall and need support. Hell you are only 12 days in, you could theortically put up the second net now and careafully bend/super crop them to fill that screen and go from there. I do my first defoliation around day 7-10 then another once stretch is finished and again mid flower....actually i continually defoliate and remove unwanted bud sites all the way through bloom. Its good for em.

I don't uderstand what you meant. You said there is nothing wrong with waiting til after week 2-3 of bloom to put the net up then you said they might get too tall and need support. How will they get taller after the bloom stretch?? I thought they kept growing til around week 2-3 (the stretch) then stopped growth and focused on bud formation, so if he puts a net up after they stopped growing then how will they get too tall?? Please explain :)

true grit

true grit

If they were not trained to lay flat and create upward budsites under the screen (scrog) they will stretch taller. Which means he will need more support for the lankier top. I know that I run some plants that will add another 4-5" in bud growth/cola height after wk2/4. I usually wait til I get an idea of total cOla height before 2nd screen. Not only that some its not needed til wk 5/6 just due to weight of cola regardless of height.

Chobble

Chobble

Actually the problem with waiting til after the stretch to apply the net is that you are defeating the purpose of the net in the first place. When you put a net over your plants you are suppose to manipulate the bud sites to grow thru each hole/square, that includes the top branches being forced underneath the net as they grow and the lower branches being brought up thru the net until you have an even canopy. Now if you wait til after the 12/12 stretch to apply the net then there will be no more upward growth to train thru the holes, so IMO there is no point of putting the net on after the stretch.

I always apply 6 inches in advanced with the netting so that it will stretch quite a bitch but still be fresh growth before I train it. I find that to work sincei t keeps it spread out. You can also move it as you go.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If they were not trained to lay flat and create upward budsites under the screen (scrog) they will stretch taller. Which means he will need more support for the lankier top. I know that I run some plants that will add another 4-5" in bud growth/cola height after wk2/4. I usually wait til I get an idea of total cOla height before 2nd screen. Not only that some its not needed til wk 5/6 just due to weight of cola regardless of height.

Oh ok ;) I understand what your saying now. Your right about that my plant that I have in week 7 of flower right now had some top bud sites shot up like 5 inches in growth since week 3.

Top Bottom