When to water root riot cubes

• Thread starter ThatRapperWeed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I've never used Root Riot plugs but after some recommendations, I decided to try them. They were evenly moist when I opened the bag so I didn't soak them. I've got them in a tray with a dome and the temp is averaging 77 to 79 degrees and humidity was 80% now stable at 72% inside the dome. I planted seeds directly into the plugs 24 hours ago, checked one plug and it seemed pretty moist but I noticed a very slight change in moisture. When should I wait to water until? I was thinking when they seem dry enough, I'll either mist them lightly with a spray bottle or use a syringe to water feed them. Thoughts?

Lisa22

Lisa22

Try giving them a little squeeze - you can see if they are dry are not. I just started seeds with them too. Have already had two come up with the root facing up. Not sure what to do - they are in a tray under lights. Tried to cover with a dusting of dirt and will see if that helps.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Try giving them a little squeeze - you can see if they are dry are not. I just started seeds with them too. Have already had two come up with the root facing up. Not sure what to do - they are in a tray under lights. Tried to cover with a dusting of dirt and will see if that helps.
Thanks Lisa. 5 of the cubes were looking visibly dry and feeling drier than the rest so I used a dropper to add a tiny bit of water to just those 5. Hope it goes well! Might go back to paper towels and direct planting after this. :D

Lisa22

Lisa22

Thanks Lisa. 5 of the cubes were looking visibly dry and feeling drier than the rest so I used a dropper to add a tiny bit of water to just those 5. Hope it goes well! Might go back to paper towels and direct planting after this. :D
I just got these and started using them after failing miserably with the coffee filter to rock wool method. Would get them from the coffee filter to the rock wool and then they wouldn't come up from the rock wool - so this sure seems preferable to me. This is my 3rd time with seeds and I seem to fail a lot with coffee filter/ paper towel. Seeds aren't cheap - I swear I can get clones cheaper but they are never of the strains I want to try.

I saw one fellow put holes in the top of a small water bottle and sprinkle them instead of using the spray bottle

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Depending on the humidity, whether the dome is on or not, etc. I found that I would typically water my clones in root riot cubes approximately every other day (or every day if the dome is off) with about 6 ml of water per cube. I use a 12ml syringe (the kind without the needle they sell at most Farm and Ranch supply stores) to administer the water directly to the top of each cube. Typically see roots within 6 to 10 days of cloning. Never tried seed in root riot cubes, most seed I do goes into dirt for mothers.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've never used Root Riot plugs but after some recommendations, I decided to try them. They were evenly moist when I opened the bag so I didn't soak them. I've got them in a tray with a dome and the temp is averaging 77 to 79 degrees and humidity was 80% now stable at 72% inside the dome. I planted seeds directly into the plugs 24 hours ago, checked one plug and it seemed pretty moist but I noticed a very slight change in moisture. When should I wait to water until? I was thinking when they seem dry enough, I'll either mist them lightly with a spray bottle or use a syringe to water feed them. Thoughts?
I would have pre-soaked them in water somewhere between 6-7 pH, and then squeezed them out because I don't feel they come straight out of the bag wet enough, but I've had mixed luck with them if I'm honest so take my opinion for what it's worth but I would wet them if they were mine, good luck

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Depending on the humidity, whether the dome is on or not, etc. I found that I would typically water my clones in root riot cubes approximately every other day (or every day if the dome is off) with about 6 ml of water per cube. I use a 12ml syringe (the kind without the needle they sell at most Farm and Ranch supply stores) to administer the water directly to the top of each cube. Typically see roots within 6 to 10 days of cloning. Never tried seed in root riot cubes, most seed I do goes into dirt for mothers.

I got a water dropper to do just this, thank you for the suggestion. I gave a tiny bit to a few that were looking a bit dried out, I'll continue to monitor them, I think I'll just have to keep testing and learn as I go. Thanks a lot guys, this has helped a ton! :)

Lisa22

Lisa22

All my seeds sprouted within 4 days. Had a couple get to tall and spindly - had to transplant deeper into small size solo cups (after only 5 days!) - was surprised that they had decent roots. Put them into the root riots 12/9 - so 5 days and they already have a really good start. I am a real believer now in these little root riot guys - so nice not to have to keep checking the coffee filter and then even after that, if you get them going, you still have to transplant. I have them in a sprouting tray on a heating pad. I can see their progress that's another benefit!

Top Bottom