When will they show their Sex?

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Started the babies for the outdoor run from seed - they're in 1 gallons in fox farm soil at the moment.

I would like to sex them before they go into their 300 gallon beds - how big will they be when I will be able to sex them? I'm hoping to avoid multiple transplants and just transplant once from the 1 gals to the beds.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Started the babies for the outdoor run from seed - they're in 1 gallons in fox farm soil at the moment.

I would like to sex them before they go into their 300 gallon beds - how big will they be when I will be able to sex them? I'm hoping to avoid multiple transplants and just transplant once from the 1 gals to the beds.
It all depends on the strain as to how big they will be. You can usually sex things at around 6 weeks....but sometimes it can take up to 8 weeks before they show. I've had plants that I thought were females for sure wind up being males a week later.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

6-8 nodes worth of growth, once the nodes just begin to alternate, is when they'll show. Males almost always show first.

I'll advise against going from the 1gal to the beds unless you're going to transplant the moment the roots hit the edge of that pot.

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

6-8 nodes worth of growth, once the nodes just begin to alternate, is when they'll show. Males almost always show first.

I'll advise against going from the 1gal to the beds unless you're going to transplant the moment the roots hit the edge of that pot.

Thanks. What's the better alternative to transplanting them after I sex them in their 1 gallons?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The most important thing is to not let them get too root bound, that will slow down growth. Keeping them in the 1gals will delay or retard some of that vital root growth.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've kept plants in 1G pots while sexing them with no issue. Doing it this year too. Like sea said, I find when they get to the 6-7 node you can start to tell. Magnification definitely helps.

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, I hope my post wasn't confusing. I start mine in cups, then they're transplanted to 1-2gal pots and from there they're sexed (assuming I wasn't too late in transplanting and they haven't shown in the cup). From there I like to go one more up-potting to a 3gal IF I can't get them into their final destinations. I'd do 5gal but I can't really lift them easily, so it's 3 for me.

The goal is to keep those roots growing outward and penetrating as much soil as possible.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I swear i have had seedlings show female parts early on...Then, later, turn completely male.
Not herms..no more hairs..just pollen sacks
Gotta keep a close eye on some of em.
They try to trick you!!

Top Bottom