Where should I top my plants?

• Thread starter LEDNOOB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

Just starting up on my first grow...
I have 4 x feminised mimosa champagne seeds and 1x bag seed which come from a bit of stardawg which I have named #StrayDawg !
I currently have them under a 20W household e27 LED bulb But in the next week I will be moving them to a tent - however still using household bulbs, nothing fancy or expensive just to see if I can achieve a sensible yield of decent bud as inexpensive as possible really! I have decided when flowering I am going to switch to household cfl bulbs as I am trying to keep the workspace as small as possible, I will be topping the plants when they are moved to the tent and I will start trying out LST to keep a low canopy as I am hoping to flower these 5 babies (providing the stray dog turns out female) in a 1.2x.80x 1.5 ... if this doesn’t work out I have a 1.2x1.2x2.0 on standby...
As explained this is my first grow with no experience... I have just tried to educate myself a little from some of you experienced guys on here, but it’s trial and error for me really so any tips would be welcomed! But as I said this is a bit of fun to me, I don’t have the funds to spend fortunes and I am a complete novice willing to learn so no shutting me down please! I’ve come across a few problems with the mimosas already, I think due to overwatering at the start- I don’t think it’s light problems or anything else as some are coming on perfect! But any insights would be appreciated! When moved to the tent I will upload links of everything I am using from soil to bulbs etc.
The question I have though, is, topping at the third node.... is this just the third set of leaves that have branched since a seedling or the third node after the first set of five leaf leaves ?
So the purple bucket is the #StrayDawg which is 1 week ahead of the mimosas... the orange buckets are the mimosa champagne, the two slightly deformed ones I have renamed mimosa lambrinis ... I’m guessing this was due to over watering? As the soil has been drying the new growth is gradually coming through better?
89616F44-04B0-4C02-ACB8-416902A31F7E.jpeg
7CD6A495-2F6F-467F-A52E-84B395E1CCAD.jpeg
1160CDFF-8E4D-4F40-A08A-DC474C629362.jpeg
A8913339-90F0-45F9-B53E-29D9903AEC26.jpeg
D64D29C4-19D1-43C7-85E2-29934C6D9292.jpeg
EC70B71B-DDEB-48BC-9C7C-8711D65A033D.jpeg

BigCube

BigCube

You are going to need a shitload more light.

I only top plants that I've let sit around too long and have gotten too tall. Other than that I LST or scrog. You CAN top it wherever you want, as long as you have 1 node left, the plant will be fine. 👍

Traditionally one would wait for the plants to be larger.

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

You are going to need a shitload more light.

I only top plants that I've let sit around too long and have gotten too tall. Other than that I LST or scrog. You CAN top it wherever you want, as long as you have 1 node left, the plant will be fine. 👍

Traditionally one would wait for the plants to be larger.
Thanks! I’m going to wait until they’re moved to the tent before topping. I was only planning on topping as the scroging you mentioned is what I wanted to have a go at really as explained I’m trying to keep my growspace as small as possible. Any little tips or must nots I should be aware of?
And all the bulbs I am going to use are only 20W but they all individually produce 2000lumens or so the product description states anyway.
I have 7 bulbs and fittings but I was thinking I wouldn’t even need all 7 ? Surely the Wattage being used isn’t relative it’s just how many lumens them watts are putting out? Or am I wrong again 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

Thanks! I’m going to wait until they’re moved to the tent before topping. I was only planning on topping as the scroging you mentioned is what I wanted to have a go at really as explained I’m trying to keep my growspace as small as possible. Any little tips or must nots I should be aware of?
And all the bulbs I am going to use are only 20W but they all individually produce 2000lumens or so the product description states anyway.
I have 7 bulbs and fittings but I was thinking I wouldn’t even need all 7 ? Surely the Wattage being used isn’t relative it’s just how many lumens them watts are putting out? Or am I wrong again 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Have a look at my last micro scrog, it may answer some questions.

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

Today I have put the plants into the tent- I need to get some better light fittings as I am currently using household lamps which aren’t going to work as the plants get bigger.... I have 5x 20 W leds in there currently. I will post some pics later- I also think I Got a little carried away with what I thought I can fit in the tent that I was planning on using, especially as I’m going to germinate a couple of autos to stick in the mix aswell 👀 so I am unsure weather to get a double of this same tent, or move up to my 1.2x1.2x2 ?
I plan on topping a couple of the plants today also... I am going to put a screen across the plants over the next week or so, but can anyone recommend what size squares are ideal for a Scrog? Or any links to something on amazon/eBay would be great!

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

A little hard to show you in the picture but I would pinch at the point of the red arrow, you can top or fim it there
Screenshot 20200927 085417 Photo Editor

A more conventional topping might look something like this
20200927 085159

it's a little tough to show you, you're going to have to do it a few times to figure it out, but that's what I would do for maximum tops, good luck!

BigCube

BigCube

Today I have put the plants into the tent- I need to get some better light fittings as I am currently using household lamps which aren’t going to work as the plants get bigger.... I have 5x 20 W leds in there currently. I will post some pics later- I also think I Got a little carried away with what I thought I can fit in the tent that I was planning on using, especially as I’m going to germinate a couple of autos to stick in the mix aswell 👀 so I am unsure weather to get a double of this same tent, or move up to my 1.2x1.2x2 ?
I plan on topping a couple of the plants today also... I am going to put a screen across the plants over the next week or so, but can anyone recommend what size squares are ideal for a Scrog? Or any links to something on amazon/eBay would be great!

Anything under 3" is hard on the plant when weaving the branches.
I use 3.5 inch for the bottom.

For the top net anything larger than 4 inch will do fine. I use 6 inch.

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

So I’ve topped the two healthy looking mimosa champagnes as you can see, one had slightly more new growth but they’re both pretty much bang on the same size so I topped them both at the 4th node. One wasn’t quite a clean a cut as the other but I’ll see what happens over the next few days 👀
I’ve decided against topping the #StrayDawg for now - as explained it was a bag seed and being my first grow I’m unsure when the safe mark is to get away from the females and don’t want to risk the whole grow, so I’ve made a little box up for it lined with tin foil I will move it to over the next few days (this plant looks the healthiest) it is a week or so ahead of the others but yeh that one looks promising providing it’s a she of course! So here are the two girls I topped :
995DB376 BDE9 4D2F B9E8 0EC6334A1D6D
7B742F45 AC89 4F1E 908D DF3ECF35FD59

As explained my set up isn't brilliant ( tight budget) but here is a pic of how things are at the minute ( I’ve left my fan somewhere so will be adding that the next few days but the room temperatures and humidities are keeping just under the high level of what’s acceptable so I believe)
F0015E0A 085B 4A5D 87BA 2183BC26D727
9DEE0FDD 6351 469B 84C6 6163EC026AF4

So I have 1x these bulbs priced at £12.00

I have 6 of these bulbs but currently only the fittings for 4, they cost 12.99 for 3.

and I got this little 1 into 3 bulb adapter thing which is pretty handy but have seen since a 1 into 7 one someone here helping used in one of their previous grows ! So I’ll soon be upgrading... to fit in my ghetto kitchen high standing lamp fitting of course! Keeping it real with the interior design here 💪🏻 Haha!

Big shout out to people for the tips ! Keep em coming and watch this space! Love peeps !

Saticoy

Saticoy

I have 4 x feminised mimosa champagne seeds and 1x bag seed which come from a bit of stardawg which I have named #StrayDawg !
I currently have them under a 20W household e27 LED bulb But in the next week I will be moving them to a tent - however still using household bulbs, nothing fancy or expensive just to see if I can achieve a sensible yield of decent bud as inexpensive as possible really! I have decided when flowering I am going to switch to household cfl bulbs as I am trying to keep the workspace as small as possible, I will be topping the plants when they are moved to the tent and I will start trying out LST to keep a low canopy as I am hoping to flower these 5 babies (providing the stray dog turns out female) in a 1.2x.80x 1.5 ... if this doesn’t work out I have a 1.2x1.2x2.0 on standby...
As explained this is my first grow with no experience... I have just tried to educate myself a little from some of you experienced guys on here, but it’s trial and error for me really so any tips would be welcomed! But as I said this is a bit of fun to me, I don’t have the funds to spend fortunes and I am a complete novice willing to learn so no shutting me down please! I’ve come across a few problems with the mimosas already, I think due to overwatering at the start- I don’t think it’s light problems or anything else as some are coming on perfect! But any insights would be appreciated! When moved to the tent I will upload links of everything I am using from soil to bulbs etc.
The question I have though, is, topping at the third node.... is this just the third set of leaves that have branched since a seedling or the third node after the first set of five leaf leaves ?
So the purple bucket is the #StrayDawg which is 1 week ahead of the mimosas... the orange buckets are the mimosa champagne, the two slightly deformed ones I have renamed mimosa lambrinis ... I’m guessing this was due to over watering? As the soil has been drying the new growth is gradually coming through better? View attachment 1035763View attachment 1035764View attachment 1035765View attachment 1035766View attachment 1035767View attachment 1035768
I top mine between the 4th and5th nodes. Then when they get long enough I tie them down.

quirk

quirk

So I’ve topped the two healthy looking mimosa champagnes as you can see, one had slightly more new growth but they’re both pretty much bang on the same size so I topped them both at the 4th node. One wasn’t quite a clean a cut as the other but I’ll see what happens over the next few days 👀
I’ve decided against topping the #StrayDawg for now - as explained it was a bag seed and being my first grow I’m unsure when the safe mark is to get away from the females and don’t want to risk the whole grow, so I’ve made a little box up for it lined with tin foil I will move it to over the next few days (this plant looks the healthiest) it is a week or so ahead of the others but yeh that one looks promising providing it’s a she of course! So here are the two girls I topped :View attachment 1036685View attachment 1036686
As explained my set up isn't brilliant ( tight budget) but here is a pic of how things are at the minute ( I’ve left my fan somewhere so will be adding that the next few days but the room temperatures and humidities are keeping just under the high level of what’s acceptable so I believe) View attachment 1036687View attachment 1036688
So I have 1x these bulbs priced at £12.00

I have 6 of these bulbs but currently only the fittings for 4, they cost 12.99 for 3.

and I got this little 1 into 3 bulb adapter thing which is pretty handy but have seen since a 1 into 7 one someone here helping used in one of their previous grows ! So I’ll soon be upgrading... to fit in my ghetto kitchen high standing lamp fitting of course! Keeping it real with the interior design here 💪🏻 Haha!

Big shout out to people for the tips ! Keep em coming and watch this space! Love peeps !

Don't forget to clear out the undergrowth. Popcorn is for the movies. Organic soil auto grower.

DSCN2333 1
DSCN2278 2
DSCN2344 2
DSCN3053 2
LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

Don't forget to clear out the undergrowth. Popcorn is for the movies. Organic soil auto grower.

I wasn’t sure when to do this? I was about nervous with the topping ( and I’m so impatient I’m checking on them every few hours 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 ) but I was scared too much straight away would shock them? Also- the leafs from all the nodes at the moment aren’t branched out enough to even think about tying down for LST... when should I be looking to do this? I like the look of mainlining... but don’t want to run before I can walk!
I’m going to put a screen in there in the next couple of weeks so was just gonna chop everything underneath once the canopy fills the screen..
Anyone have any tips for organic nutrients? I’m looking to experiment with coffee grounds and some local seaweed...any other weird and wonderful things people use out there ?

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

Them pots... ? My plants are going to be transplanted one last time I was going to get some of them material like cloth bags... what are the difference in them and the ones used in your pics? And what would you recommend for my final pot size ?
All much appreciated !

Saticoy

Saticoy

So the purple bucket is the #StrayDawg which is 1 week ahead of the mimosas... the orange buckets are the mimosa champagne, the two slightly deformed ones I have renamed mimosa lambrinis ... I’m guessing this was due to over watering? As the soil has been drying the new growth is gradually coming through better? View attachment 1035763View attachment 1035764View attachment 1035765View attachment 1035766View attachment 1035767View attachment 1035768
Oh and the plant I showed you was a little over 3 weeks when I topped it. I wait until after the 4th node, usually 3 to 4 weeks every time does it. It will stress them but if you’re taking care of it well like mine it will show little signs of stress. This was that same plant.

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

So today I have checked the tent and everything is coming along nicely.... other than the fact I have mould on one of the plants top soil... I woke up and the rh was at 80 ! Where as it normally sits around 65.... would this have been my issue? And what would people recommend I do just scrape the top layer of soil with the mould and remove or what?
184EB2C2 0C93 4BE6 8F8E A065DC06F541

Other than that things are looking good 👀 this is one of the mimosa champagne girls i
76669805 D62A 4140 9C63 2049DAB0D2A1

This is the untouched #StrayDawg
A6710C79 0A38 450C 9AA8 E39EE19A91B0

and this weird little thing is the mimosa champagne that I overwatered in its first few days which I thought was why it was growing a tad deformed ... but what ever happened to it it seems to have somehow topped itself or something 🤷🏻‍♂️ Or is there something someone can explain?
23C400BC BBA1 424C AE79 7DCFA9061412
9F779A11 4EFC 419E 921B 9056F0913E06

BigCube

BigCube

Deal with that mold as soon as possible. It's from over watering. Allow the soil to dry out more between waterings.

You can remove as much as the mold as you can. Then top dress it with new soil. Then in your next watering, mix water and hydrogen peroxide at 3 to 1. 3 water to 1 peroxide. This should help kill off any mold spores kicking around.

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

Deal with that mold as soon as possible. It's from over watering. Allow the soil to dry out more between waterings.

You can remove as much as the mold as you can. Then top dress it with new soil. Then in your next watering, mix water and hydrogen peroxide at 3 to 1. 3 water to 1 peroxide. This should help kill off any mold spores kicking around.

I’m on it now mate cheers 👍🏻

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

I have removed all the surface mould I can see and topdressed it with new soil.
( biobizz lightmix )
Is there anything organic I can use to try kill off any mould left lying around rather than hydrogen peroxide?
also would it be something to do with drainage aswell as overwatering? The pots I am currently using are just Halloween buckets I pierced holes in the bottom of 🤦🏻‍♂️ Ghetto fixtures like I explained! - I am planning on transplanting then one last time- do you have any recommendations ? I was going to go with the material like pots ( smart pots I think they are called ) but there was someone who posted a picture with a plant in one of them spiked air hole pots I quite like the look of. What would you recommend ? And what size pots would be ideal as the final size ( next time I’m going to transplant straight from seedling to final pot )
I’m not sure if pot size helps at all with formation of the plants ? As explained my floor space is limited and I am going to be putting a screen in over the next week to try keep my canopy low as the tent they are in and I want to finish them in really is only 1.5 m tall... I’m going to flower with cfls just thrown everywhere in the mix ( normal e27 bulbs just hanging down everywhere ) see how it goes !

BigCube

BigCube

Hydrogen peroxide is as organic as water.. it's just hydrogen and oxygen like water but instead of h2o, its h2o2.

Its water with one more oxygen molecule. The extra oxygen is beneficial to the roots as roots need oxygen. It helps control mold, fungus and pests by oxidation.

I mentioned hydrogen peroxide because its is perhaps the safest most natural option.

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

Hydrogen peroxide is as organic as water.. it's just hydrogen and oxygen like water but instead of h2o, its h2o2.

Its water with one more oxygen molecule. The extra oxygen is beneficial to the roots as roots need oxygen. It helps control mold, fungus and pests by oxidation.

I mentioned hydrogen peroxide because its is perhaps the safest most natural option.

is it the 3% or the 6% food grade? Hydrogen peroxide I’m not sure which I should order?

LEDNOOB

LEDNOOB

So I have some better pictures today, and noticed a few things progressing. If anyone could explain to me what stages the plants are in now, what they are forming and what they might potentially need soon? Would be much appreciated... so at the start of the nodes I’m noticing what looks like more leaves coming or is this branches or what?
7603520F ED4A 4EFB 9D1D 36E3517EB983
182E89D5 1035 4059 A28E 63D2BADCBC89

And this other plant seems to have done something weird, the top node appears to be single and the plant has split itself underneath? Or if this isn’t the case can someone enlighten me as to what the f@*k has gone on with it ? 😂

51B82D11 4FA6 48BE 87A3 552F2C93BECF
A17774F3 F50B 4EEB B52E 65DCF401873D

Top Bottom