Where to start trimming foliage?

• Thread starter Mullet
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mullet

Hello,
My indoor plants have literally been growing like weeds and now it seems too crowded in the tent.
The problem is I don't know where to start, or if I should still wait.
Some fan leaf fingers are over 8 inches long and absolutely packed together.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Where to start trimming foliage
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Flip them. 12 on 12 off
The plants will get a foot taller pretty quick. Stay on veg mix for now.
In 3 weeks time. When they are finished stretching and have formed bud sights.

Switch to flower mix. Cut way back on the nitrogen.
Bump up the cal mag a bit.
Remove all leaves 30% up each main stalk, then 30% up each stalk off the main stalk.

When the plants are 30 days into flower, carefully remove any leaves bellow the main canopy and
remove any popcorn bud sites bellow the canopy along the stems.

At this point you will have stripped each stalk 3/4 up each stalk. Each will be developing a nice top flower.
Maybe a couple of small buds just bellow the cola.

Take your time and enjoy the work. pinch off all the popcorn bud bellow the canopy and the plants will put everything into the tops for you.

Take your time. Proper defoliation is done one little step at a time as the plant requires.
Your plants look great! Don't change anything just flip them and in 60 days they will blow your mind!

Nice and shiny clean bud very well done.

Last edited:
F

Freddiebest

When it comes to trimming, you can start by removing the fan leaves that are blocking light from reaching lower branches. This will help with overall plant health and encourage more even growth.

B

Bdubs

The short answer is to only remove leafs you need removed. Lower leafs should be first. Too leaf’s do a lot more work and shouldn’t be removed for reasons to the plants own ability to create optimal use of the light. The leafs just below your fan leafs are set by the plant to be called a shaded leaf and provides and performs specific amounts of photo. If you introduce the shaded leafs to new intense light, you most likely damage that leaf and its photo is less than what it was before unshading it. Best to stick to bottom up! Only remove top leafs shading others in specific situations. I personally never take too leads as the plant will grow itself to do all the work to optimize light that is present. If you want to encourage growth and maximize lighting, LST.

B

Bdubs

You are compacted in your grow place with sub optimal room for growth. Your situation may call for taking leads but only to prevent them from disturbing other plants. Other than those leafs intruding other plants, your plant will grow appropriately to maximize the light available. I can get a photo of how my plants grow out (with some minor LST to spread the light area) and create spot lighting on lower leafs. The plant knows what to do. It only shows later when the plant starts to mature, then, you will notice how the plant grows where it needs to to create that spot lighting to lower leafs and utilizes the big leafs for most of its photo. I LST to prevent mains from being too close but the plant does all the work to maximize light usage, human intervention isn’t needed. Defoliating for you is going to help with mold and airflow. That’s the only reason you should cut things off is to cool it and allow airflow.

F

Freddiebest

When it comes to trimming, you can start by removing the fan leaves that are blocking light from reaching lower branches. This will help with overall plant health and encourage more even growth.
You can also trim dead or yellowing leaves, as they won't contribute positively to the plant's development. Take it step by step, and don't rush it. Gradual pruning will give your plants room to breathe without stressing them too much.
If you're looking for more guidance, there are plenty of helpful resources online specific to different plant types. And if you're into trying something new, I found an article about CBD that might interest you: https://www.trythecbd.com/products/delta-9-thc-gummies/

B

Bdubs

I just did some pruning. I do it random and light in flower and only on leafs that must go. Like a leaf shoving up against another and/or smashing a node. Dead or dying (usually at the bottom). (Flower)

I just manicure in veg aside from normal HST and LST.

B

Bdubs

I just did some pruning.
I most likely won’t do it again because I am nearing the end of week 4. My no touchy zone is beyond week 4. If I didn’t get it done, I definitely leave it. Everyone is different though.

Top Bottom