Where will the scene go from here? Is it over for the good old days v2?

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fractal

fractal

By the good days version 2.0 I mean 2001-2008 roughly, when all of the name brand strains we know today were coming out of the woodwok. V1 would have been 1976-1980s when the hippies were in full swing hybridizing new afghan genetics and the Amsterdam seed scene was growing huge. I feel lucky to have been in the swing of things when I was close to some people who were the first in california to have sour D, bubba, OG and all that. The last few years all of those cuts have been all around the world and copied incessantly. Nothing new has happened for 5 years save for GSC which is nowhere near the whole sour D/OG/Bubba hype was. We used to look in awe at Tom Hill and his huge outdoor grows, now everybody does that.
Things are going toward a more commercialized, professional, photo-shopped growing scene. Glossy trade mags, trade shows, 1000 different seedlines of OG. It just feels like the innercircle of cannabis growers don't have anything to themselves anymore.
No more outlaw feel to growing, not on the west coast at least. If your products don't have THC ratings from a lab, nobody wants them. Your edibles don't come from state certified commercial kitchens, same deal.
What do you think? What could possibly lay ahead for the cannabis scene? Is it going to remain down-to-earth much longer or is it going to be Malrboro joints for all, grown from Monsanto seddstock?

Natural

Natural

come visit us on the East Coast..lol. You might spend all day hunting buds like you did back in jr high...lmfao!
I hear you on the breeding side though..far off genetics for us terrorist-destroying democracy-bringing Americans are not as welcome as we once were in nations like afghanistan..we need a true hippie type to lead this country..real grassroots!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
By the good days version 2.0 I mean 2001-2008 roughly, when all of the name brand strains we know today were coming out of the woodwok. V1 would have been 1976-1980s when the hippies were in full swing hybridizing new afghan genetics and the Amsterdam seed scene was growing huge. I feel lucky to have been in the swing of things when I was close to some people who were the first in california to have sour D, bubba, OG and all that. The last few years all of those cuts have been all around the world and copied incessantly. Nothing new has happened for 5 years save for GSC which is nowhere near the whole sour D/OG/Bubba hype was. We used to look in awe at Tom Hill and his huge outdoor grows, now everybody does that.
Things are going toward a more commercialized, professional, photo-shopped growing scene. Glossy trade mags, trade shows, 1000 different seedlines of OG. It just feels like the innercircle of cannabis growers don't have anything to themselves anymore.
No more outlaw feel to growing, not on the west coast at least. If your products don't have THC ratings from a lab, nobody wants them. Your edibles don't come from state certified commercial kitchens, same deal.
What do you think? What could possibly lay ahead for the cannabis scene? Is it going to remain down-to-earth much longer or is it going to be Malrboro joints for all, grown from Monsanto seddstock?

You gotta get out more man. Inner circles have plenty of genetics that don't gloss hightimes or win cups. Most growers I know would never support high times and enter that bs anyways. Tons of folks don't use the interwebs for herb and they grow the serious herb that you want in your bowl.

Skunk #1, Northern LIghts , Blueberry, White Widow, Chemdog, Sour D/Bubba Kush/OG Kush, GSC. Those seem to be the top strains since the mid 90's. You can't expect to see amazing new stuff every year in the mainstream. Really good OG Kush keeps people baked and the few sativa lovers seem to be coming up with more variety than the OG heads, imo.

Just a question but what happened to the 1990's, tons of killer pot then, Chemdog and the like. If you follow the urban areas, you'll find the mainstream weed names. Look at the triangle on weedmaps and notice all the other strains they still grow. I know people that hate OGK and won't even grow it because they like big buds and they cannot lie!

People get busted daily on the west coast, read the newspapers...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
It's been illegal for how long and look at the culture. REgardless of the laws there will be people like you and me who want good herb. It's as down to earth as you keep it. Just say no to Marlboro doobies for sure! NOt sure where you are, but good herbs go regardless of testing. Some use it as advertising but killer product goes. I would hope somebody who is selling a food product at a licensed club/facility would have a kitchen that is open to inspection for cleanliness. I don't look at all this as bad, it's good if anything. Hold people to standards that don't harm peoples health. You can grow your own or know someone who does, and if they outlaw that, just remember it's been outlawed all of our whole lifetimes....:D

ttystikk

ttystikk

The Good Old days are every day we are alive! Don't worry, be happy :cool:

DAMN STRAIGHT!

WE are the legends the next generation will look to for inspiration. So quit whining about missed bowls and get to work!

Let us not forget that the improved quality today has as much to do with improved cultivation methods and equipment as it does with genetics. Don't believe me? Ask a breeder for more testers after you run his first batch half-assed and see what happens!

Today and in the future, quality will remain king. It may not sell for as much as it once did, but it WILL sell. What's more, it's its own best advertising...

Anyone who says quality and low cost are incompatible goals must gave a $20,000 widescreen tv. After all, the new one at Wal-Mart can't possibly be better for $647, in spite of the fact that they've been building them for ten years!

I've been building gear and grow ops that pull less power and get the same or better results than the conventional wisdom for years now. Finally, the price is starting to make people think what I have to offer might be valuable!

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

come visit us on the East Coast..lol. You might spend all day hunting buds like you did back in jr high...lmfao!
I hear you on the breeding side though..far off genetics for us terrorist-destroying democracy-bringing Americans are not as welcome as we once were in nations like afghanistan..we need a true hippie type to lead this country..real grassroots!
I hope you were talking about me!:rolleyes::D..........take it easy

green punk

green punk

I hear you. It seems we are all on the look out for something better(unique). The ever so common ideology of "this is a killer cut, lets make a cross and see what we get" is great but it certainly has watered things down. The classics are getting absorbed into the lemon/fuel flavored status quo. The stuff from Holland had a role in making what we see today for sure, but every thing became floral and fruit.
I miss the days of animal odors, catpiss, rotting fruits/flesh and real strains that had a legacy behind them. They are still around but I find my self looking for phenos similar to old favs in the new lines.

Who here knows about the Blueberry that was (may still be) available in Tok Junction, AK in the 90's. That stuff was the real deal.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
glorify the past and fear the future...Have you been watching Fox news man? lol

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

I'm usually the first one to long for the good ol days, when things were a little simpler. But sometimes I remember some of the shittier aspects of the good ol days. Having to leave the hydro shop like it's a crack den, taking back streets and watching your mirror so nobody follows you home. staring at helicopters just SURE they are watching your house. The .38 in your waistband when you are trying to move a couple lb's in some shitty trailer in the worst part of town. Things in CA. at least have gotten so much easier, in alot of ways. All of the above still exist in some places more than others. But they have mostly left my life and i'm greatfull. More strains more problems but the problems could be worse.

fractal

fractal

glorify the past and fear the future...Have you been watching Fox news man? lol
Hahaha, short answer: no.

Some good ideas there baba. Mainly I was talking about strains. What could possibly be around the bend that has not been done already? It is hard to imagine.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Some good ideas there baba. Mainly I was talking about strains. What could possibly be around the bend that has not been done already? It is hard to imagine.

Shit. My imagination must be on overdrive, because I see nothing but possibilities!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty

It is always hard to imagine the un-done my man! I bet during the 1920's, had you mentioned you could remotely fly a drone plane over another country and drop dookies on them, you would have blown some minds. WE can't see what is coming, we get a glimpse and some brilliant minds will lead us one way or another but to think YOU can see the undone....good luck!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Dabs have taken over!!!!

I think the extract scene taking off has taken some of the emphasis off of finding new strains.

Tired of smoking Og or gsc? Put a dab to the head
dabs of certain strains are awesome, same strains I wouldn't even wanna smoke the nugs...JIllyBean comes to mind, hate the nugs, love the dab!

ttystikk

ttystikk

It is always hard to imagine the un-done my man! I bet during the 1920's, had you mentioned you could remotely fly a drone plane over another country and drop dookies on them, you would have blown some minds. WE can't see what is coming, we get a glimpse and some brilliant minds will lead us one way or another but to think YOU can see the undone....good luck!

Dude, sometimes I can. That's why I'm an engineer, not because I try to be, but because it just... comes. So yes one can see the future sometimes.

I bet you go into your breeding lab and get a glimpse now and again yourself, don't you? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about!

ttystikk

ttystikk

The next big strain might be an accident...how do you foresee that?

Regression analysis. Statistics suck to learn, but they are powerful tools to use when predicting outcomes of many uncertain but related events- like a breeding program.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I've taken some Biometry and Stats...lol
I hear you on the level, just is not the norm to see the future technology or advancements without having a key into creating the new avenue we go down. Being an engineer you understand how to put together things to create a synergistic unforeseen result. The average youtuber can't put their name on a test...lmao

Top Bottom