Which camera to install in tent to create grow timelapses?

• Thread starter Toscano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toscano

Toscano

Hi everyone!

Want to mount a small camera to create video timelapses of my grows.
Just need one of those cameras that snap a picture per hour or something like that.

What brands and models more appropriate for this?
Maybe one of those sports GoPro cameras?
Will they survive a grow tent for 3 or 4 months in a humid environment?
Does it have to be connected to a computer?
How to keep it charged?

Well... if anyone has experience with this, any help appreciated.

Thanks!

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

I have zero answers for you, but Im watching! Been wanting to do the same!

E

elusiveshame

Your humidity shouldn’t really ever get above 60-65%, which is around the most comfortable humidity possible, so your camera should have zero issues unless you tipped the dew point and you’re getting things wet in the tent.

As for which camera, you can use any that you want, though cameras without a time lapse feature will prob require software to snap pictures.

If you’re going to do this, please don’t do what folks on YouTube have done: have really annoying music play during the whole video, or only have a portion of the grow in the video (I.e., 27 days of veg only).

Boxlapse (I think that’s the name of the channel) does some fantastic time lapse grows, but none are cannabis.

Good luck with your project!

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Your humidity shouldn’t really ever get above 60-65%, which is around the most comfortable humidity possible, so your camera should have zero issues unless you tipped the dew point and you’re getting things wet in the tent.

As for which camera, you can use any that you want, though cameras without a time lapse feature will prob require software to snap pictures.

If you’re going to do this, please don’t do what folks on YouTube have done: have really annoying music play during the whole video, or only have a portion of the grow in the video (I.e., 27 days of veg only).

Boxlapse (I think that’s the name of the channel) does some fantastic time lapse grows, but none are cannabis.

Good luck with your project!
Are you saying your grow should never get over 65% humidity, or if you’re putting a camera in your grow room it shouldn’t get over 65%?

E

elusiveshame

Are you saying your grow should never get over 65% humidity, or if you’re putting a camera in your grow room it shouldn’t get over 65%?
The grow shouldn’t get above 65% IMO as you can start risking conditions for mold and mildew (especially if you have inadequate air circulation). Some folks will say 70% is needed for seedlings, but I had no issues with 55-60%.

Here’s a dew point chart: https://www.kosterusa.com/files/us_en/dew-point-chart.pdf

You want to make sure your temperature and humidity level doesn’t cause condensation on surfaces (this isn’t the same as leaves sweating and having a wet spot).

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Gotcha, I could say that for very beginning of flowering, but I have to disagree with veg. I run 73% humidity and 82F, it all corresponds with your VPD. As long as you have good air circulation in and out, running humidity over 70% shouldn’t be an issue and believe you will see better Veg growth with humidity over 70% and temps over 80.

To the OP, I am not sure what the best camera to use is, but I’m following along because I want to do the same

E

elusiveshame

Gotcha, I could say that for flowering, but I have to disagree with veg. I run 73% humidity and 82F, it all corresponds with your VPD. As long as you have good air circulation in and out, running humidity over 70% shouldn’t be an issue and believe you will see better Veg growth with humidity over 70% and temps over 80.

To the OP, I am not sure what the best camera to use is, but I’m following along because I want to do the same
Sure, if that works for you, that’s great. I’ve never let my tent go above 63% (aside from one night a week or 2 ago) and temps never go above 79F, and my girls are growing pretty darn good.

But that doesn’t change the fact that when there’s too much water in the air (humidity), it starts creating condensation on surfaces, which isn’t good for any electronics that aren’t made for those conditions.

Also, most resources say it’s preferred to be 70% or lower for veg and later, so I suspect most people will experience issues if they stick around 70% or higher.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Sure, if that works for you, that’s great. I’ve never let my tent go above 63% (aside from one night a week or 2 ago) and temps never go above 79F, and my girls are growing pretty darn good.

But that doesn’t change the fact that when there’s too much water in the air (humidity), it starts creating condensation on surfaces, which isn’t good for any electronics that aren’t made for those conditions.

Also, most resources say it’s preferred to be 70% or lower for veg and later, so I suspect most people will experience issues if they stick around 70% or higher.

Thanks for the article links bro! Will give them a read! Happy growing 😀

E

elusiveshame

Thanks for the article links bro! Will give them a read! Happy growing 😀
No problem!

And I hope I’m not being seen as argumentative. There’s many ways to skin a cat, and people will have different experiences 😛

If ya’ll do time lapse vids, I’m definitely watching them, so happy growing for all!

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
No problem!

And I hope I’m not being seen as argumentative. There’s many ways to skin a cat, and people will have different experiences 😛

If ya’ll do time lapse vids, I’m definitely watching them, so happy growing for all!
Absolutely not, I’m always open to different opinions and experiences and sharing mine 😁 That’s what I love about growing, every strain is unique and growing patterns and desires may vary! ☮️

AmiT

AmiT

- by using a raspberry or equivalent with a webcam (I used raspberry zero and made a script - easy to do - to take pictures and make a timelapse. And added sensors etc.)
- by using a webcam, a long usb cable to a computer
- by using a gopro, connected to usb charger/adapter

E

elusiveshame

If you're using a webcam, I just discovered this free app: https://skystudiopro.com/

I might try that at some point as I have a webcam in my tent + a laptop right outside of it. I just need to get a good angle and stable way to mount the camera.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Hi everyone!

Want to mount a small camera to create video timelapses of my grows.
Just need one of those cameras that snap a picture per hour or something like that.

What brands and models more appropriate for this?
Maybe one of those sports GoPro cameras?
Will they survive a grow tent for 3 or 4 months in a humid environment?
Does it have to be connected to a computer?
How to keep it charged?

Well... if anyone has experience with this, any help appreciated.

Thanks!
i'm curious as well. i wanted to know more about which ones have damaging night vision or if they all do or what. I remember reading a thread somewhere that they linked their hermie issues to a software bug in the camera that was using infrared or whatever for night vision even when it says it wasn't which was disrupting the light cycle at night and it was invisible to human eye.

Top Bottom