which light?

• Thread starter cbatterton
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cbatterton

cbatterton

so i have two plant food lights bought from ace hardware. ones 120watt and ones 65watt. i currently have one clone in a closet setup i have looking to go up to three clones within the next week. which light should i be running for the single clone and the three clones? or do i need a different light setup all together? thank u

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
How tall do you plan on growing your plants?

T5 floresents are great for vegging plants up to 12'' , maybe 24 inches.
.But I dont think the work very well for flowering.
you may want to get a adjustable power HPS light for flower..

germinator

germinator

You can try High Tech Garden Supply. htg.com.... or
Local hydro store..
You may wanna go eight tube 2 by 4 for closet, and your gonna need a indoor air quality, odor control plan.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Welcome to the Farm, brother! From your avatar pic, I'm guessing you're also a Colorado resident?

If there is one near you, I'm going to plug my favorite hydro store chain; Way To Grow. Those guys have been very knowledgeable, helpful and have been able to help me out many times. Whatever store you choose, build a rapport with them so they know that you're a regular customer. Treat them well and if they're worth half a Damn they will do the same.

The above might sound off topic, but I'm here to tell you that it is not. Who stands behind your equipment and how well they get you back up and running after a breakdown can mean the difference between a successful run and disaster.

They will also be able to make specific recommendations as to the type of lighting that's most likely to suit your needs, but supplement what they tell you with some research online.

Answering questions like these will help narrow down what we'll work best for you;
How much do you want to grow?
Are you planning to get bigger over time?
What kind of growing style are you planning to pursue?
Will you SCROG?
How much square footage are you trying to bring into production?
I'm sure there are more relevant questions, but the answers to these will lead you in the right direction.

cbatterton

cbatterton

Yes i am a colorado resident(northern). ive been to a couple grow shops but nothing stood out or was just way to pricey for me. i dont wanna sound cheap but i am willing to spend if its worth it...you guys are awesome and have helped out a ton thanks!

cbatterton

cbatterton

also how far above the plant should i be hanging my light?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
also how far above the plant should i be hanging my light?

it depends on what kind of light it is :)

Fluorescent lights can be and should be just a few inches away....

The HPS and MH should be 3ft or more at 1st.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
i have a 65watt plant food light i bought from ace.

A food light? or a flood light?o_O Im not sure what kind of like that is :confused: Does it get hot to the touch?
If not, keep it a couple inches away...Put your hand close to the bulb..if your hand gets hot, its too hot for the plants..
.maybe blow a fan gently in that direction so the plants don't get hot..they like the new air;)

L

leafmold

I started with a light like that. I harvested a couple grams. Craigslist is usually a place to find affordable used lights. You need at a minimum a cfl or a t5 setup to get something thats almost worthwhile.

cbatterton

cbatterton

would using the 120watt work any better or does it matter with these type of bulbs?

urbanfog

urbanfog

honestly, having been in your shoes I wouldnt mess with adding a bunch more cfls, your just going to have to keep moving them and deal with heat. I would pay the money now and either go t5 or get a 150-250 watt hps and go from there. Craigslsist always has stuff, homey depot carries 150 watt lights, In the long run you will be happier. Good luck and happy reading ;)

cbatterton

cbatterton

oh alright thanks man! im probably just gonna go buy a florescent light tomorrow from ace hardware. that would be the t5 right?

Top Bottom