Which Metal Halide bulbs will fire on Quantum digital ballasts?

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I rock 1000W Quantum Ballasts with Hortilux SuperHPS bulbs. Never had an issue, fires up fine, running good for a year now, only replaced a couple bulbs. I know, I know, spectrum shift, lumen loss, blah, blah, change em every 2 crops...blah, blah...fuck that..too expensive! Rock em till they are real orange or they die!! Never had a problem!

I wanted to diversify my light spectrum and add a few Metal Halide bulbs here and there. So the other day, I lost a HPS bulb, so I went to the store and I bought a regular Hortilux Metal Halide bulb. Upon replacing the busted bulb with the MH, the MH didn't fire. At first, I thought my ballast died and blew the bulb with it, but then I tried multiple hood, bulb, ballast combinations, and then just decided that the MH bulb they sold me was DOA. So I took it back to the shop and they stuck it into a mag ballast, and boom, it light up bright and perfect. I felt like a retard. So it was a limitation of my Quantum ballasts not firing up the Horti MH bulbs. Funny that I've been rocking Quantums since 09 and have never bothered to shove an MH in there till now.

Anyone have Quantums or another digi bulb with similar experiences?

Any recommendation on Metal Halide bulbs that will work on digitals, particularly the Quantum 1000Ws?

Here is what I've found so far:

SolarMax™ 1000 Watt Metal Halide Conversion Lamp - 7200° K

http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/solarmax™-1000-watt-metal-halide-conversion-lamp-7200°-p-441.html

Kinda pricey!

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

easy. Digilux MH. Made specifically for digital ballasts.

M

MIway

You are talking the Hortilux Blue MH? The ones that run like $200 each? LOL

No way dude... they retail at $240, get it straight.

Horti_BLUE_Spectral.JPG

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I run MH blues in quantums all day long without a issue.
Same here. In fact, I overdrive (drove? past tense) a 400W MH @ 600W with my Quantum. Killed it after four months, but at <$20 a pop, I hardly felt a thing.

Oh yeah, it was a 4200K Sylvania from Lowe's. There is NO FUCKING WAY I'm spending that much on a bulb. Good Christ.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah i change out my hps and mh for veg and bloom as well. i use the super blues. thing with the quantum ballast is sometimes when u turn them off and on they need like a 20 minute cool down before they will fire up again. just putting that out there.

D

dank_

Yep those bad blues are pricey! But hey! You get what you pay for! Girls love those lamps. I even got a little 250 MB Blue for the little ones.

I DISAGREE

Don't waste your money. Fucking shit, they're over $250 at the store. When I was buying them they were $230...

Anyways, you're paying a lot MORE money for LESS lumens.

Yes, the spectrum is cool, white light is great! BUT holy jesus, what a fucking waste of money!

I get MORE weight with the $130 SuperHPS. You're going to pay $100+ for less weight.

You can say quality is better, I can't say for sure. But either way, it is not worth the money. If I want more blue, I'll add a MH light.

B

billybadazz

^^^^^ You can send me 2 and I will use the shit outta em'!!

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
Shit I run hps for vegg and the side by sidectest I've done I ran a ushio super mh vs a lumatek hps bulb both 600's and the lumatek smashed on the ushio faster growth just as tight internod all around better mh is good but hps is better if you Dnt believe me try for your self just my input

D

dank_

/\/\/\ if i send you 2 free will you use them? I dont veg under HPS, the blue is blue, the MH standards are more white.
Iagree there overpriced, but i think they work excellent.

If you're sincere, I appreciate the offer and would prefer you extend that offer to someone in need.

Since I stopped the SuperBlue, I just run HPS when vegging. ALTHOUGH, I rather both MH+HPS than just HPS, I just don't have the resources atm.

S

snkrhd23

for vegg bluer is better, ive too vegged under an hps light and yes the node spacing can be tight but the growth is similar to that of a plant that was jus flipped and streching with less lateral branches forming. that was jus my observation after seeing this done multiple times

S

snkrhd23

I DISAGREE

Don't waste your money. Fucking shit, they're over $250 at the store. When I was buying them they were $230...

Anyways, you're paying a lot MORE money for LESS lumens.

Yes, the spectrum is cool, white light is great! BUT holy jesus, what a fucking waste of money!

I get MORE weight with the $130 SuperHPS. You're going to pay $100+ for less weight.

You can say quality is better, I can't say for sure. But either way, it is not worth the money. If I want more blue, I'll add a MH light.

did u think they meant flowering under a mh blue light???

P

PuraVida305

I use quantums 1000k with Sun Masters and never had a problem.

Top Bottom