Which Tent?

• Thread starter spider125
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spider125

Hey I was about to start my first indoor grow in the next few weeks and was thinking about a tent. Dont know which one i should get. here's a few i was looking at.

http://www.accesshydroponic.com/dark-room-48x48x78-inch-hydroponic-grow-tent.html

http://stores.indoorgrowsource.com/-strse-269/Hydrofarm-Lighthouse-4x4-Indoor/Detail.bok

Or a complete one like this I just don't like the light and it saves me from having to shop around.

Any ideas? I was looking at the DIY spaces too. That would be fun. I want to keep it around 4ftx4ft and height is maxed at 8ft.
My only concern is smell. How much smell comes out of a tent even with the filter and all that?
Thanks everyone!

G

Genius Genetics

Easy bro and welcome to the farm:)

The tent i would go with is the Hydrofarm Lighthouse its the best made tent of the 3

and dont be concerned about the smell,
if you have good filters and some negative pressure (more air out than in) you wont smell a thing.
Just remember to change your filter's (i do every 9 months) and u'll be good..

Happy Farming Bud... Hope it all go's well for ya:)

Peace
GeniusG;)

G

ganjherbsmoke

def look around more man

ebay has lots of tents for mad cheap
i saw some 4x8x7s on there for like 180 shipped
you could fit two 1000s in one and spend less than the 800 dollar tent light combo you posted

i bought a 2x4x7 a few years ago for 100 shipped, still have it and shes done me real well!

S

spider125

Well I was hoping to keep it at 4ftx4ft. Thanks for the info about the air in and out Genius Genetics. I'll keep that in mind, but how do I do that? How many fans would I need? New to this indoor stuff. Lots of stuff to buy! lol I wish someone had a sticky on here of all the parts one would need to get a tent grow running! That would be amazing! Thanks again. ganjherbsmoke Those were just a couple I had up right now. I've been looking at all kinds for a month now! Reading a ton!

G

Genius Genetics

kool bud, no worries;)
to get some negative pressure you want two inline fans, 1 for air out, 1 for air in.

you can either have your air out fan bigger than your air in fan
so more air is being forced out the tent, then there is air being forced in the tent.

or.. what i like to do is have both fans the same size and get two fan speed controllers cheap on ebay,
i found some for ÂŁ26 each and they all still work great.

then you can play around with the speed conrollers intil you see your tent being sucked in abit (negative pressure) the tent should feel quite tight, not loose and differently not blown up like a balloon lol

Peace

GeniusG;)

S

spider125

O ok I get what your saying now. Had a brain freeze last night when reading what you were saying. So I need 3 fans total. One for air in the tent, one for air out of the tent, and one for the light and the filter goes on the fan that pulls air out. So now I need to find a website that sells fan/filter combo's for cheap that also has lights! One other question for all of you out there, which is better... Cool tube or the hoods with vents with the glass? It seems like the tubes cost more but is there that much of a difference in temps with one or the other? Lastly, which grow system would be easiest to work with in a tent? I like the idea of dwc or maybe even rdwc, just that the rdwc seems a little tougher to build myself. Thanks farmers!!!!

S

spider125

I did find this too. I like the looks of it too!

What do you farmers think? Is it a decent price? I see they have this too. The cheapest one I've found so far!

Let me know!

S

spider125

Well the kit on that website is the SJ120. Thats what I'm prob gonna order next saturday. I have about 1500 bucks to spend. Anyone wanna throw out a complete shopping list? :)

Cort

Cort

Well the kit on that website is the SJ120. Thats what I'm prob gonna order next Saturday. I have about 1500 bucks to spend. Anyone wanna throw out a complete shopping list? :)
Not complete, but here is what I picked up for my 4x4. I will include the stuff I found out later that I needed or didnt need.

Tent
Light/ballast/bulb(went with 1k)
Adjustable light hangers. I found some at home depot half the cost of ones from hydro shop
Fan ( I went with 6 inch value line rated at 435cfm)
various controllers, depending on set up. I went with CAP VSC-DNe after some trial and error. This controls the fan speed based on temp inside the tent. Temps are selectable for day/night.
Carbon Filter + flange
I used tie down straps to hang these nice and secure. Overkill, but secure. Home depot 4 pack was only 10 bucks
ducting (started off with 6 inch aluminum ducting from sunleaves, it leaks light and is very weak. I had several breaks. Today I got 6 inch insulated from home depot)
Air filter/s for intake (I set up 2 passive intakes, both 6 inches leading to a box with an air filter on each. Im betting there is a better way)
Pots + soil/coco if your going this way.
Gorilla brand duct tape. its stronger than normal duct tape.
Aluminum tape
Small oscillating fan or 2 for inside the tent.
TDS/EC meter
PH meter
nutes
ph up and down
Various measuring tools (I like the syringe types and shot glass. Both found at walmart cheaper than hydro shop)
Timer/s for lights and feeding if your automating that. CAP ART-DNe would work for feedings.
5 gal homer bucket or 2
1 gal water jugs for small feedings
propagation trays + humidity domes. Get the big tall ones
Rubbermade totes as needed. (dont buy the sterilite ones from walmart, they suck)
Airstones and air pumps (if needed)
Water pumps (if needed)
t-5 lighting for veg
Rockwool 1 inch for the babies you are going to trim off your girls
3x3x4 or 4x4 to transplant your 1 inchs into if your going this route
Good water filter or a couple 5 gal jugs to haul RO water around.
Tomato cages, bamboo or other gear to train your girls.
Pipe cleaners or other gear to tie your girls to the tom cages or bamboo
thermometers Hydrometer etc...

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

and a note book to list everything in. Daily grow space conditions, plant conditions, feedings, and everything else. This will help others help you should something go wrong and keep a record in case everything goes right.

Im sure theres more, or maybe I went overboard. Im out of time so I dunno :D

Cheers :bongsmi:

S

spider125

Ok wow that is a lot. I'm already at like 1300 bucks. lol getting up there. I still haven't gotten the nutes or the stuff to do my RDWC which is what I'm prob gonna do. I want to do dwc but i was reading about the water getting to warm in them. I have 3 4in fans that are rated at 175cfm. on for the light which i hope is enough. one for air in and one for air out. have one speed controller for the air going in to slow it down a bit to keep the smell down like was previously told to me :) thanks for that tip! 600watt hps. TDS/PH testers humidity/temp monitor and for the tent that comes with the ducting and that filter i mentioned. the C02 boostbucket from there also! which sounds like I should get hopefully it works good! Now i need to look around to making a rdwc instead of just the dwc i was gonna do! Anything else im def missing?

Cort

Cort

Ok wow that is a lot. I'm already at like 1300 bucks. lol getting up there. I still haven't gotten the nutes or the stuff to do my RDWC which is what I'm prob gonna do. I want to do dwc but i was reading about the water getting to warm in them. I have 3 4in fans that are rated at 175cfm. on for the light which i hope is enough. one for air in and one for air out. have one speed controller for the air going in to slow it down a bit to keep the smell down like was previously told to me :) thanks for that tip! 600watt hps. TDS/PH testers humidity/temp monitor and for the tent that comes with the ducting and that filter i mentioned. the C02 boostbucket from there also! which sounds like I should get hopefully it works good! Now i need to look around to making a rdwc instead of just the dwc i was gonna do! Anything else im def missing?

Im far from an expert but from what I have been told, if you are doing a vented tent additional CO2 is almost wasteful. You will be sucking that CO2 out just as fast as you make it.

I was advised to use 1 good fan sucking out of the tent and use passive air intakes. This will help keep my start up costs a tad lower.

My set up goes like this:

Passive filtered air in via two six inch ducts near the bottom of the tent.

Charcoal filter hanging from the very top of the tent

The fan sucks through the filter, then pushes out through the sealed light and out of the grow area.

By pushing the air through the light, any leaks will blow back into the tent instead of sucking stinky air into the already clean air thats in the duct.

Just remember this: I am a noob too and on my first grow. What I have posted is what I have been told and a few things I picked up. Right or wrong, I dont know. Its how I am doing it till I learn better. My shopping list is prolly a bit excessive, in fact Im sure theres several things I could do without if I needed to. If someone who knows better could chime in and correct where I advised incorrectly it would be appreciated.

Lights on in about an hour, I might post a pic and let you judge for yourself my set up. Its feeding day anyways so all the girls come out.

One other tip: When you get your tent, get inside it, zip it up and sit for a while. Your eyes will adjust to the dark and you can easily pick out light leaks to be fixed. Do this again when you get the venting set up and before you flower. It can leak a bit of light during veg, but must be dark for flower.

G

ganjherbsmoke

you should do yourself a favor and avoid these packages youve been posting
they all seemed like over priced/hyped products
not worth the change their askin imo your def better off buying things on their own in most cases
1300 could get me 4k in lights fans panda plastic and a few bags of dirt

dont jump the gun and over spend man mistake i made plenty of times in my first few gos...

Cort

Cort

you should do yourself a favor and avoid these packages youve been posting
they all seemed like over priced/hyped products
not worth the change their askin imo your def better off buying things on their own in most cases
1300 could get me 4k in lights fans panda plastic and a few bags of dirt

dont jump the gun and over spend man mistake i made plenty of times in my first few gos...

He has a very valid point.

My tent(4x4 hydrohut silver), light(1k with vented hood), fan, filter, cheap ducting that I had to upgrade anyways cost me a little less than 800 by using a local shop. I got a good discount for buying that much stuff (plus nutes) all at the same time. Thats the price of that generic ebay kit and I have much better gear, plus good rapport with a local shop.

If building your own spot is an option you should look into it. The savings will be tremendous. Building wasnt for me so tent it is.

Most of the stuff I listed is nickle and dime stuff that can be sourced at Walfart, home depot and the 99 cent store.

For more info about Walmart, and the people you will meet there, check this out. :evilgrin0040:

S

spider125

Yeah your right. I just added all the stuff from that site into my cart seperately and it came up cheaper. wtf? ok so now I'm feeling like I need more help! lol I need to get a list of everything I need. I def wanna go with this: It says the roof can hold 100 pounds and i really like the way it looks. What do you all think? I don't wanna get one of the cheap ones from ebay. most of them don't look that good. Damn. Just thinking about everything I need is buggin me cause I don't want to forget anything! I only have 2 shops even remotely close to me and I'm going to one tomorrow to check it out. I doubt they have any tents! Here's a link to the sites even though they don't sell stuff online! http://www.eastsidehydro.com/ and

Again Im only looking for a 4ftx4ft tent with 1 600watt. I really like the idea of a RDWC. I guess some think of it as a UC but iunno. HELP! lol Thanks everyone for your input! Glad I got people that know what they are talking about helping me!

S

spider125

So I went to one of the local hydro shops. Its like 26 miles away, so not really local! They had a lot more then I thought they would! They did have a GrowLab 80 out for display and the guy actually did a pull up on it!!! Thats a strong ceiling for a tent! I got a bunch of nutes for a decent deal too! I saved around 110 bucks total from not having to get it shipped! Anyway after seeing him do a pull up on the GL80 I'm def gonna get the GL120! Here in another 3 weeks or so I'll be able to start my first grow journal!!! I'm stoked! Now I gotta find a tut on setting up a 4 bucket RDWC that has a part list! Wish me luck! I'll post some pics of some of the stuff I got from the store!

N

NBfrost

if i was you I would go to a local shop and buy one of there display systems .. Where it is your first grow , you will see if this style will work for you , and you will have everything you need . Im sure they would love the chance to get rid of a display setup they do not use anymore ..

S

spider125

It was actually being used! It even had the light (T5) hanging in there when he did it. But it was only the GL80. I want the 120 because its bigger. They did give me 10% off on everything I bought too! They even gave me a card to get 10% off for the whole year! Great place!

Cort

Cort

I havnt found a local shop yet not willing to make a deal when I show up with cash in hand. Prices are often as good as I get online when shipping is counted.

S

spider125

Yes I agree. Just with the cost of shipping for the nutes I saved around 180 bucks for everything I bought there. Very please! Anyone ever heard of a mag called Maximum Yield? They had them at the shop. Hell the 2 guys that were in the store are in this mag. Pretty cool. Well thanks again everyone for the info!

Latest posts

Top Bottom