White But Not Powdery Mildew, Stores Don't Know

• Thread starter Daylight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Daylight

Daylight

can you identify this white and a course of action? this is like dried white liquid, not fuzzy. but it does mostly, 80%, smear off with rubbing. june 8, 9, it rained hard for 2 days, when wet it disappears to eye sight but when leaves dry can again be clearly seen. doesn't look like last year's powdery mildew. showed pics/sample leaf to 2 grow stores and one master gardener in a nursery, all say they don't think it's powdery mildew or downy mildew. plants started indoors, 7-11 weeks ago, T5, no problems except ca mq deficiency because i never fertilized, i thought the soil was good enough to support. so i had a bunch of brown spots and brown edges on leaves, started to liquid fertilize and mostly went away. i put the plants outdoors may 29, we had no rain for 2 weeks since i put out except last 2 days. 70F to 83 day, 46F to 50 night. the white started to show up about june 5 and is increasing daily on all plants. indoors all plants were touching each other, outdoors separated. thank you for any advice!
seeds
7 to 11 weeks old
18” to 3’
plants outdoors spread out over 80'
fabric pots 25gal to 100 gal
G&B premium outdoor soil
started indoors T5 cocoa based indoor soil. a few plants had costco miracle grow organic.
no ph testing
started using botanicare Tea, and Pure Blend Pro Grow at 6ml per gal only in last weeks
no spraying
oregon zone 8
all kinds of insects crawling on them outdoors
indoors had hundreds of little gnats i guess, come through the window screens at night (seeing the lights). plants didn't have fan most of the time but had open windows next to them.
a few years growing

White but not powdery mildew stores dont know
White but not powdery mildew stores dont know 2
White but not powdery mildew stores dont know 3
Last edited:
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
can you identify this white and a course of action? this is like dried white liquid, not fuzzy. but it does mostly, 80%, smear off with rubbing. june 8, 9, it rained hard for 2 days, when wet it disappears to eye sight but when leaves dry can again be clearly seen. doesn't look like last year's powdery mildew. showed pics/sample leaf to 2 grow stores and one master gardener in a nursery, all say they don't think it's powdery mildew or downy mildew. plants started indoors, 7-11 weeks ago, T5, no problems except ca mq deficiency because i never fertilized, i thought the soil was good enough to support. so i had a bunch of brown spots and brown edges on leaves, started to liquid fertilize and mostly went away. i put the plants outdoors may 29, we had no rain for 2 weeks since i put out except last 2 days. 70F to 83 day, 46F to 50 night. the white started to show up about june 5 and is increasing daily on all plants. indoors all plants were touching each other, outdoors separated. thank you for any advice!
seeds
7 to 11 weeks old
18” to 3’
plants outdoors spread out over 80'
fabric pots 25gal to 100 gal
G&B premium outdoor soil
started indoors T5 cocoa based indoor soil. a few plants had costco miracle grow organic.
no ph testing
started using botanicare Tea, and Pure Blend Pro Grow at 6ml per gal only in last weeks
no spraying
oregon zone 8
all kinds of insects crawling on them outdoors
indoors had hundreds of little gnats i guess, come through the window screens at night (seeing the lights). plants didn't have fan most of the time but had open windows next to them.
a few years growing
Looks like hard water

Daylight

Daylight

Looks like bird droppings:)
i meant calcium and magnesium deficiency and a store confirmed my thought when seeing image and context. i added that fact in case it had weakened the plants to become susceptible to disease/this white stuff.

it's not bird droppings, in my best opinion but you could be correct, as i first thought the first few days. the plants are too far apart, no white stuff on any other vegs, fruits, plants in yard, nothing on tarps, or soil, i'm in the yard 10 hours a day straight doing other things for weeks now and never have been hit or seen a drop. but you are right, thousands of birds a moving through, the pigeons and swallows migrated to stay for the season. don't see bats at dusk like we used to get either. it's amazing to be in the middle of no where, no city for hundreds of miles and the forest is full of migrated pigeons. i don't remember them years back. when i moved here daily sightings of racoon, skunk, fox, rabbit, pheasant, coyote, 1 wolf shot dead, bear, river otter, monarchs, bats, bees, vultures, hawks, falcons, bald eagles... and all in the last 4 years almost all are gone replaced by pigeons, rats, mice, yellow jackets, feral cats. the only thing good holding on are vultures, hawks and bald eagles. do yellow jackets crap white, but i haven't seen anything on the plants but small insects.
(i don't know how to eliminate images from reposting, sorry)

P2
Last edited:
Daylight

Daylight

Looks like hard water
we don't have hard water but mostly normal coming from the mountain creek water treated by the city. i've never sprayed these plants' leaves until long after i saw the white to try to wash it off on a few plants 90% were never sprayed. the rain hit them 2 days hard but 10 days after first appearance of white.

one factor all plants have in common is being transplanted into G&B premium Raised Bed outdoor soil about the same days.

(did nixon really say that? LOL)

Last edited:
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
It’s to thick to be salt I have one more idea that could have happened if you guys want to here it?

Daylight

Daylight

since droppings is a favorite, yesterday i really inspected closely the grapes, apples, pears, all plants that live in the yard have no white but they do have the normal brown areas on leave which i never spray, the fruit comes out fine always. it's not bird droppings i guess it could be crawling animal kingdom crap that only visits marijuana and at night when i don't see it? it has to be an insect because a mammal would snap the plants. but i have been seeing a more silver white show up on the indoor starts of melons, cucumber in same trays as pakalolo were. i thought the silver/white was due to sun too strong sun moving in to out. the silver/white is always the oldest leaves to base stalk, further leaves are green healthy. i took a pic of the worst watermelon and this appears now to be a furry white and not like the marijuana leaves white. i have one more grow store and one more master gardener. it's rained showers for 4 days now but sunny and 80F 90 in the forecast. i could try to wipe the marked/test leaf and see if it comes back. also will ask city for our drinking water report and if we have hard water. oregon does not add fluoride. (previous master gardener said turn over the leaf and if i see gray color opposite the white side then it's some type of fungus. i think i need a microscope.)

Watermelon
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

melons ,cucumbers ,squash,get this shit all the time,something with hydration i do believe,it not pm and not sure what it is,ecompost told me once but cant remember the name,got to say though,in triple digit heat during day and mid 80's at night,sunburn is sure to follow,always have with my veggie garden,just got to were when it does show its face,i pull all plants and lay it down for the cooler weather to come.
now that was guess number 1,my second guess will blow your mind here,but true,you mentioned all the wildlife disappering on ya right? well i got the same looking stuff a few months back in my winter garden,if texas has a winter,but anyway,kept getting a white pasty looking shit on my plants,couldnt figure out for shit what it was,nothing on top garden or anything else had it,figured it out when i got it all over the car,the only newish one i got with paint actually on it still hahah,but 3 properties over was taking advantage of the fire ban lift and was burning tons of ceder trees,the ash was sticking to the car and leaves of that plant.
last but not least is buzzard puke,is there a foul odor to it? just asking cause of a incident a few years back,involving a wore out deer blind,2 baby buzzards inside it,knocking there home over and making a old women scramble to roll windows of truck up real damn quick like hahah

Daylight

Daylight

melons ,cucumbers ,squash,get this shit all the time,something with hydration i do believe,it not pm and not sure what it is,ecompost
i was burning apple, pear, cherry, cedar branches, droppings, grass twice before the white showed up. but not showing on any other plants means only the marijuana has a chemical to activate the ash to white. interesting idea i never thought of!

assuming this is a fungus which product you you suggest i can try on one plant one leaf?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i was burning apple, pear, cherry, cedar branches, droppings, grass twice before the white showed up. but not showing on any other plants means only the marijuana has a chemical to activate the ash to white. interesting idea i never thought of!

assuming this is a fungus which product you you suggest i can try on one plant one leaf?
LAB feed with foilar spray,go to build a soil.com jeremy has a great recipe for making it,if you wont my version here it is,take 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice,place rice in water and let it sit for about 30 min,every now and then,stir it were you get a good milk look,strain the rice and take the milk put in a big jar,then take the jar put a paper towel over it and rubber band the towel,let it sit for 24 hrs in a cool but dark place,it will collect all the spores from the air around you,after 24 hrs,you should see a little difrence in the top of water,just little stuff floating,anyway after 24 hrs,take your collection and put 1 cup of the milk to 10 cups of regular milk,dont use fresh from cow milk the cream is a bitch to get out,after you put the milk and collection together in the jar,place back in cool spot and paper towel rubber banded on,let it sit for 7 days,the curd will form on top ,the way liquid is what your after,there will be a seperation,curd on top and a little stuff on bottom,all that liquid in bettwen is what you wont,make your container or jar were you can cut that curd out without getting to much in the LAB,what your shooting for and reason i say this is i live in extreme heat and it only took 6 days for mine to turn,when you first make it,smell the end product,what your shooting for is a difrence in smell,not rot but just a tad of difrence like almost fermented,not sweet not sour smell just a difrence,the curd you can then make chesse from,yes you can eat it,same as cottage cheese without shit added to it,i put that on my compost myself,just aint got time to make cheese if you dig,but that is bacteria your gonna foiler spray at them,fungus always rule by numbers bacteria dominate by strength,check out jermy video and you will dig what im saying,i make all my feeds and ipms,just takes time,but the lab itself cost you a gallon of milk and cup of rice,cheap

Top Bottom