White furry buds during cure

• Thread starter Reckless459
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Reckless459

Reckless459

Hey there, so I had to go out of town while in the middle of curing. Trusting my wife would be responsible and check the jars and adjust accordingly. Well I was wrong and came home to 2 jars white and furry like a spider had spun it's web around every bud. Now that being said is there any thing I can do to salvage them or repurpose them. I have moved them into paper bags and put them in a very dark space but if I'm only holding onto a spore bomb let me know so I can't act accordingly. Thanks much for any and all help

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I'm not sure if ISO is an option here but it probably would be the only way and then maybe use for edibles only.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Lets see it first.
It sounds like some sort of mold, or a major spider mite nest. I'd like to see which one it might be.
And it could be something else entirely.

elduderito

elduderito

I believe you could salvage it with bubblebags/icewater extraction.... from bubblebag.com :

"YES. Bubble Man recommends an extra mold-removing step: place your herbal extract into a jar full of water with a tight-fitting lid and shake it up. The mold spores will float to the top and can be skimmed off with a spoon or turkey baster. Then, rinse the jar into the 25 micron bubble bag and press the moisture out as usual."

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

If you have other jars with good buds I would throw those two jars out. Even if you attempted the washing and bubble bagging with 25 micron bag you’ll probably end up with a fraction of a gram of sketchy yuck! Sorry to say but the old expression comes into play, “if you want something done right, don’t let your wife do it”. Sorry man🙁

Narsbars

Narsbars

Only if you are desperate. Soak and agitate in enough 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to submerge the buds for several minutes, General agitation and continuing to submerge the buds will drive out all of the air and kill the fungus. Then you can take the weed out, hang it, put a powerful fan on it until dry. It will be OK, IF you didn't have any bud rot. I would ignore wastage, make bubble hash, melt it in 200 proof Ethanol, then dry. Then I feel it would be as safe as possible. I just posted a thread referring to the same issue to see what people think of my solution.

Reckless459

Reckless459

Wow thanks for the suggestions. I'll take post pics soon. It's just a sad scene and I am grateful that it was only two plants. It was a little shorter than my usual dry time and these buds were super sticky, but I was having issues with bud worms this year so I rushed.

I digress. I was thinking to only use what's left for edibles like canabutter or coconut oil. Just wanted to see if there was a way to remove the mold and not the medicine. Again thank you and pics to come.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
If you have other jars with good buds I would throw those two jars out. Even if you attempted the washing and bubble bagging with 25 micron bag you’ll probably end up with a fraction of a gram of sketchy yuck! Sorry to say but the old expression comes into play, “if you want something done right, don’t let your wife do it”. Sorry man🙁
++

hippystuff

hippystuff

Only if you are desperate. Soak and agitate in enough 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to submerge the buds for several minutes, General agitation and continuing to submerge the buds will drive out all of the air and kill the fungus. Then you can take the weed out, hang it, put a powerful fan on it until dry. It will be OK, IF you didn't have any bud rot. I would ignore wastage, make bubble hash, melt it in 200 proof Ethanol, then dry. Then I feel it would be as safe as possible. I just posted a thread referring to the same issue to see what people think of my solution.
I usually do a bath of lukewarm water with a1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup baking soda per gallon. Lightly swish the pot then I do the hydrogen peroxide 1 qt to a gallon. this is for the powdery mildew on plants fresh harvested. Remember luke warm or about70 degrees. Then dry in good air movement. Works great. Do not smoke moldy bud or you can get some bad lung issues from it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm going to be the responsible adult here lol...

While I would say almost every toker has smoked mold, bugs, bacteria etc. I would toss it.

Yes hydrogen peroxide and bud washing will reduce the overall mild and spores it won't eliminate them.... then again this is coming from a supposed ✌grown up✌ who ate dirt and has probably drank more water from a garden hose that lays on the sun all day then tap water.

Just saying that you can kill the mold and wash it but any spores left can produce toxins etc. It doesn't need to be alive to harm ya.

Tldr: if you know the risks and choose to take em that's up to you, but better know then not.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

While I would say almost every toker has smoked mold, bugs, bacteria etc. I would toss it.

Yes hydrogen peroxide and bud washing will reduce the overall mild and spores it won't eliminate them.... then again this is coming from a supposed ✌grown up✌ who ate dirt and has probably drank more water from a garden hose that lays on the sun all day then tap water.

Just saying that you can kill the mold and wash it but any spores left can produce toxins etc. It doesn't need to be alive to harm ya.

Tldr: if you know the risks and choose to take em that's up to you, but better know then not.
Exactly, the molds themselves might not be a huge problem in themselves, but the metabolites they've created along the way, during their growth cycle. Some of which can be exceptionally harmful, and toxic.

like Penicillium mold naturally produces the antibiotic penicillin, but in this particular case, with a more unknown (possibly) deadly, toxic twist. Not to mention the inflammatory responses to some of these substances. I know for sure I've ingested them over the years. I agree it's simply not worth it.

Last edited:
Reckless459

Reckless459

My intention is to not smoke (I'm too old and have done enough risky shit) I was more asking if I could use for cooking etc. I'll admit even if someone gave me an absolute fool proof way and 100% complete removal of the mold I'd still be scared and I used to smoke some pretty questionable shit in my younger years.

Reckless459

Reckless459

20210928 1303532
As you can see the fuzz is gone but all those little white dots and super dark color is not ok from what I know. They have been in a paper bag with desiccant packs for 3 days. This is the first time I've even looked at them in fear of having them spore out and infect anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom