white powdery mildew.. getting more resistant?

• Thread starter GNick55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i just want to see what others think as this has been on my mind the last couple weeks.,
over the last few years of legalization and the new amount of outdoor growing compared to before legalization,
well do you think with that going on and everyone getting the mildew and basically using one of the same 5 to 10 different treatments that the mildew is building up resistance to it and becoming stronger?
i can’t believe how bad it’s attacking my plants and i’m treating them everyday and i know what i’m doing..

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

i just want to see what others think as this has been on my mind the last couple weeks.,
over the last few years of legalization and the new amount of outdoor growing compared to before legalization,
well do you think with that going on and everyone getting the mildew and basically using one of the same 5 to 10 different treatments that the mildew is building up resistance to it and becoming stronger?
i can’t believe how bad it’s attacking my plants and i’m treating them everyday and i know what i’m doing..
I would think that’s very possible for them to adapt and become more resilient. I use to get it when I had light depo greenhouses bc I covered them with tarps and couldn’t control my VPD’S. Knock on wood 🪵 I haven’t gotten it in my closet grows bc I can control my VPD’s better and sanitize between cycles but that’s not to say the spores aren’t floating around just waiting.

Z

Zill

GNick,

I doubt a few thousand cannabis plants will initiate a massive case of fungal mutations leading to a more aggressive fungal strain. More than likely if you are growing in a tent the spore inoculum is accumulating over time. The tents should be disinfected after each use. Growing outdoors you are entirely at the mercy of the weather and how densely you plant and existing spore loads not random mutations.

Zill.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I would think that’s very possible for them to adapt and become more resilient. I use to get it when I had light depo greenhouses bc I covered them with tarps and couldn’t control my VPD’S. Knock on wood 🪵 I haven’t gotten it in my closet grows bc I can control my VPD’s better and sanitize between cycles but that’s not to say the spores aren’t floating around just waiting.
yep and i realize different marijuana strains matter too but these future 1’s shouldn’t be causing this much of an issue, especially indoors with treatments and a controlled environment..
anyhoo thanks for replying..

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

yep and i realize different marijuana strains matter too but these future 1’s shouldn’t be causing this much of an issue, especially indoors with treatments and a controlled environment..
anyhoo thanks for replying..
You think the strains are becoming more prone as the years go on? I thought that was a trait breaders could make more resilient?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
GNick,

I doubt a few thousand cannabis plants will initiate a massive case of fungal mutations leading to a more aggressive fungal strain. More than likely if you are growing in a tent the spore inoculum is accumulating over time. The tents should be disinfected after each use. Growing outdoors you are entirely at the mercy of the weather and how densely you plant and existing spore loads not random mutations.

Zill.
i’m pretty clean and even when grows are going smooth i still keep everything clean and neat, take apart equipment, clean everything with peroxide or isopropyl..
my grow area is generally the most sanitize area of the house!..
thank you for replying

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
You think the strains are becoming more prone as the years go on? I thought that was a trait breaders could make more resilient?
yes you would think they would get more resilient and probably are,.. at least breeders with the smarts to do so..

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

yes you would think they would get more resilient and probably are,.. at least breeders with the smarts to do so..
You don’t think the more the same grow area is sterilized with the same solutions those spores in that area are adapting? Maybe switch off the sterilization methods so they don’t know what to expect?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
You don’t think the more the same grow area is sterilized with the same solutions those spores in that area are adapting? Maybe switch off the sterilization methods so they don’t know what to expect?
mmm isopropyl kills everything, i put in pump sprayer to reach/get everywhere,
sometime i use 3 cleaning methods, with soap water, 10% peroxide, isopropyl..
it’s not the cleaning as spores are natural in the environment and are literally impossible to keep a room 100% sterile, maybe the space shuttle or something like that..

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

mmm isopropyl kills everything, i put in pump sprayer to reach/get everywhere,
sometime i use 3 cleaning methods, with soap water, 10% peroxide, isopropyl..
it’s not the cleaning as spores are natural in the environment and are literally impossible to keep a room 100% sterile, maybe the space shuttle or something like that..
Yeah, I would really like to know how you got it after everything being so clean and your on point with everything.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah, I would really like to know how you got it after everything being so clean and your on point with everything.
well i did go through i week or so of “neglect”
which did cause large temperature swings but humidity kept fairly tight zone..
i did help a friend or showed him how to treat his plants with mildew in mid sept,
i had a change of cloths before coming into my house and when i did i went straight to shower but i must of brought it in than.. i use to think the mildew only infects the surface of the plant but i’m starting to think the strains that affect marijuana are getting into the system of the plant and affecting it in different ways?? to ultimately kill the plant

Blastfact

Blastfact

@GNick55 it's the way of hybrid. Back in the day it was really rare to have massive mold/mildew issues or even massive pest issues like so many fight today. If mold/mildew and pest were a issue in the old days everything indoor and outdoor had issues from ornamental to vegetable to include fruit and nut trees along with vine producers. Now days everything can be healthy in ones indoor and outdoor gardens and yet many struggle with cannabis issues. The morons crossing all the weed up are slowly and completely destroying cannabis.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

well i did go through i week or so of “neglect”
which did cause large temperature swings but humidity kept fairly tight zone..
i did help a friend or showed him how to treat his plants with mildew in mid sept,
i had a change of cloths before coming into my house and when i did i went straight to shower but i must of brought it in than.. i use to think the mildew only infects the surface of the plant but i’m starting to think the strains that affect marijuana are getting into the system of the plant and affecting it in different ways?? to ultimately kill the plant
Dang that’s crazy how easy it is to transmit pm. I wonder if was the combination of the neglect and you helping a buddy

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Dang that’s crazy how easy it is to transmit pm. I wonder if was the combination of the neglect and you helping a buddy
well it seems like it, its sitting around than i gave it the opportunity to grow.. or it’s my cat digging outside the window i have open and causing spores to enter my grow via the fan.. sometimes i keep my window open to bring in fresh air or cool air, so it could of been that.. it is the first time in a long while having pm indoors and first yr having the cat live with me..

Z

Zill

Gnick,
The spores are ubiquitous, everywhere. I worked in and developed clean rooms, drug filling suites. I cant tell you how flippin difficult it is to keep everything airborne, viable or non viable out of those suites. Unless you have HEPA filters installed in every wall opening there is nothing you can do. That is why sanitizing like you’re doing between crop harvest is so important.

But if you seeing an increase in disease incidence you may need a more aggressive decontamination procedure. I can help with that if you’re interested.

Zill.

Anthem

Anthem

Nick,
Once PM takes a foot hold in your tent you are fighting a battle. I have never been able to completely wipe it out during a grow once it has taken a foot hold. The only way I have heard of actually knocking out an active case is to get a sulphur burner. I think Dirtbag knows a lot about using a sulphur burner.
I think I posted earlier to get finally ground sulphur and a duster. I would recommend doing this on your next run. I try to dust the plants about the first week of flower so no sulphur gets on the buds.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Nick,
Once PM takes a foot hold in your tent you are fighting a battle. I have never been able to completely wipe it out during a grow once it has taken a foot hold. The only way I have heard of actually knocking out an active case is to get a sulphur burner. I think Dirtbag knows a lot about using a sulphur burner.
I think I posted earlier to get finally ground sulphur and a duster. I would recommend doing this on your next run. I try to dust the plants about the first week of flower so no sulphur gets on the buds.
ya i hear ya, i was or am just shocked at how quickly the plants are deteriorating, my light probably should be higher but it’s as high as it gets.. just hoping i can get to the harvest window.. searched the plants today and it’s the first day since i first spotted the mildew that i didn’t find a spot.. i have a slight feeling plants might not make it to the end..
trichomes look all good with loupe still..

Z

Zill

It’s tough. No doubt. The best method to decontaminate and it takes time is to wipe down everything exposed or covered with a 10% hypochlorite and water solution, bleach. Then wipe down with isopropyl alcohol to remove the reside. Repeat. Then buy yourself some of this https://www.sterislifesciences.com/...rilant/spor-klenz-ready-to-use-cold-sterilant.

Spor-Klenz is used in clean rooms and kills bacteria and fungi. Even better it inactivates all spores.

Zill.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

ya i hear ya, i was or am just shocked at how quickly the plants are deteriorating, my light probably should be higher but it’s as high as it gets.. just hoping i can get to the harvest window.. searched the plants today and it’s the first day since i first spotted the mildew that i didn’t find a spot.. i have a slight feeling plants might not make it to the end..
trichomes look all good with loupe still..
Well fingers crossed they’ll pull through to the end and you can really tackle the grow area after harvest and nip this pm in the butt

Latest posts

Top Bottom