White powdery mildew ?

• Thread starter ozarkgrey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
8th week of flowering and would appreciate some more experienced eyeballs give me their thoughts on chances of this being WPM or not. i have good vent i thing? 6" out, 4" in 45-50 RH temps high 70's-mid 60's at night? i read a some other older threads but they older gave me the noids as i'm baked... send well wishes and kind thought but i can handle the hard truth if need be don't sugar coat it.

thanks in advance guys

OG

White powdery mildew
White powdery mildew 2
White powdery mildew 3
White powdery mildew 4
Anthem

Anthem

That is really in the buds not so sure I would keep buds with PM in the buds. The concern is that PM spreads by creating spores. There is more than likely spores in the buds that washing is not going to take off because the trichomes are sticky. Spores are not good because when you smoke the bud the spores can get into your lungs and start to grow PM in your lungs. Basically the perfect place for the stuff, warm and humid.
If you turn into concentrates it should be OK but lets see if someone can comment on that.
Lastly, if you just got to smoke the stuff look on you tube for the Jorge Cervantes videos on washing the buds.

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
money shot of the FP , this came to me as clone, and think it might got jammed up when some other plants went south and one developed root rot? right now my room is 76 degrees and 40RH if i try and go below 40 RH my temps skyrocket ?

IMG 9771 2
Vagician

Vagician

Without a doubt, that's PM. Mycotoxins will only be concentrated if you make a -->concentrate<-- 100% removal of PM is something that is very difficult. You can remove the majority of it by dipping/swirling the harvested buds in a strong peroxide/water solution, then drying/curing as usual. We did this at a recreational grow in Oregon but it didn't get all of the PM off, it didn't even get it below the cutoff for fungal testing. It makes it safer, but not safe.

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Without a doubt, that's PM. Mycotoxins will only be concentrated if you make a -->concentrate<-- 100% removal of PM is something that is very difficult. You can remove the majority of it by dipping/swirling the harvested buds in a strong peroxide/water solution, then drying/curing as usual. We did this at a recreational grow in Oregon but it didn't get all of the PM off, it didn't even get it below the cutoff for fungal testing. It makes it safer, but not safe.

so just cull the son of bitch and toss it ?

Vagician

Vagician

money shot of the FP , this came to me as clone, and think it might got jammed up when some other plants went south and one developed root rot? right now my room is 76 degrees and 40RH if i try and go below 40 RH my temps skyrocket ?

Harvest everything, bleach the room, wait 7-10 days, bleach again before the next round. Go OCD and clean every groove and crack in your room. PM needs a plant host to survive, if it doesn't have one for long enough it should die off. Day/night temperature swings of more than 10 degrees, high humidity, low airflow, dirty filters, and a dirty room in general are usually the main culprits of PM. I had a boss who brought his dog into the flower room and sure as shit 7 days later we had mites and PM on the same path where that little bastard wandered through.

Anthem

Anthem

Harvest everything, bleach the room, wait 7-10 days, bleach again before the next round. Go OCD and clean every groove and crack in your room. PM needs a plant host to survive, if it doesn't have one for long enough it should die off. Day/night temperature swings of more than 10 degrees, high humidity, low airflow, dirty filters, and a dirty room in general are usually the main culprits of PM. I had a boss who brought his dog into the flower room and sure as shit 7 days later we had mites and PM on the same path where that little bastard wandered through.

PM is spread by spores. The spores can live in adverse conditions for months. The spores are in the environment and will grow when conditions are optimum. Clean as described above but look into a product that will kill the spores. It keeps coming back because;
#1. The environment is ideal for growth
#2. The spores have not been killed.

Vagician

Vagician

PM is spread by spores. The spores can live in adverse conditions for months. The spores are in the environment and will grow when conditions are optimum. Clean as described above but look into a product that will kill the spores. It keeps coming back because;
#1. The environment is ideal for growth
#2. The spores have not been killed.

Bleach will definitely kill the spores. However, I thought PM was an obligate parasite and the spores died if they didn't encounter good growing conditions after a few days, but I'll have to dig more on that. In my mycology courses I learned that PM is everywhere and in every breath you are breathing thousands of spores, maybe the variety that harms cannabis is tougher/different 🤷‍♂️ Either way a clean room with proper temps and RH are definitely the best prevention. Being so far into flower really limits the options for saving the crop.

Anthem

Anthem

Bleach will definitely kill the spores. However, I thought PM was an obligate parasite and the spores died if they didn't encounter good growing conditions after a few days, but I'll have to dig more on that. In my mycology courses I learned that PM is everywhere and in every breath you are breathing thousands of spores, maybe the variety that harms cannabis is tougher/different 🤷‍♂️ Either way a clean room with proper temps and RH are definitely the best prevention. Being so far into flower really limits the options for saving the crop.
Did a little searching on Google and found this.
The fungi overwinter on plant debris as cleistothecia or mycelium. In the spring, the cleistothecia produce spores that are moved to susceptible host tissue by splashing raindrops, wind or insects.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Pm is easily treatable naturally.
It is systemic and can be eradicated with due diligence.
I had pm in my flower room and have completely removed it. While in flower.
94F3B904 7FE6 415E B611 0CA2AD91E3B1

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Sorry friend, but yes, you have white powdery mildew...and you are 8th week in flower. Personally, I don't keep this when this late in flower...I throw it out. But, to each his own....hard to admit sometimes, but true

Last edited:
Bbonez

Bbonez

Sorry friend, but yes, you have white powdery mildew...and you are 8th week in flower. Personally, I don't keep this when this late in flower...I throw it out. But, to each his own....hard to admit sometimes, but true

That was 4 months ago, either way I'm sure the plants are dead by now.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Sorry so late. I just saw this. Next time, save the bud.
Also, note the time of year you got it and do preventative milk sprays.
=====================================================

Get some Milk from the grocery store.
Mix it 25 % milk to 75% pH'ed filtered water.
Spray the plant. Double spray the bad spots.
Spray under full light.
Wait an hour and rinse the plant. You may need more than one treatment.

Using alcohol or anything else will destroy trichs.

Last edited:
Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

8th week of flowering and would appreciate some more experienced eyeballs give me their thoughts on chances of this being WPM or not. i have good vent i thing? 6" out, 4" in 45-50 RH temps high 70's-mid 60's at night? i read a some other older threads but they older gave me the noids as i'm baked... send well wishes and kind thought but i can handle the hard truth if need be don't sugar coat it.

thanks in advance guys

OG
Bummer man. I know some people do a h202 wash before drying, never done it though. Best way to prevent it is routine sulfur burns. In my veg room i do it once a month and in my flower room before i rotate them in i do a sullfur burn . Its cheap and effective. I havent seen pm in 8 years doing it that way. Looks great aside from that

Top Bottom