White slime on the base of clones

• Thread starter darookie2000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

darookie2000

Hi All,

I just got a turbo klone about 10 days ago, and I've been slowly adding cuts to it to see if I can get some viable clones. My stems were browning at the tips, so I took out the weak nute solution I had in there (water, roots excelurator, and liquid karma, pHed to about 6-6.5) and replaced it with water and a little roots excelurator. I noticed some white slime at the base of the roots the next day. I thought initially it was roots starting but now I'm not so sure. I added a little azamax to the solution and some h2o2, knowing that it would probably kill beneficials in the roots excelurator. Couple of questions - are these roots or should I be worried? Also, should I replace the azamax solution with plain water or leave it as is?

I scraped the whole side of one of the stems (accidentally - basically when I was detaching the fibers one pulled a little higher up the stem - I've switched to an x-acto type knife since - not a great quality blade, but it was 2 bucks), and that one is white up the whole scraped area, which is why I'm thinking it might be roots.

I'm attaching a picture of one of the older cuttings as an example.

Thanks in advance!

White slime on the base of clones
M

MIZZ ELVIS

I can't see the picture very clearly, but from what I see it dosen't look as if there are roots forming, but I could be incorrect...Time will tell...Here's my 2cents
Do you know your Water Temps????........Could be too hot, creating a lack of Dissolved oxygen, which is the perfect environment for anaerobic bacteria to take hold. I suggest trying botanicares hydrogaurd Bio-fungicide with their power clone solution. I would also try using some form of a water cooling device. Sunleaves Glass heatwave's can be adjusted to maintain temps. between 61 and 93 degrees fahrenheit. You could even freeze water in small plastic bottles and replace them as needed by using a thermometer.. It would be beneficial either way, as cooler water is capable of holding more dissolved oxygen, which would be great for your clones. Plus that H&G excelerator is $$$$ so you might as well add some form of water chilling, to maximize its efficiency.....Good Luck!

D

darookie2000

Water temp is 73, the turbo kloner has a fan built in to cool the res :) I'll look for some hydroguard this afternoon. I just realized that clone picture was of an accidental clone (broke a top off), so I'm not sure about it's viability. I'll try to get a pic of another one. Thanks!

J

Jalisco Kid

Get that crap out of your water. Plain pH water is all you need. Letting your water go over 80* is wrong or much under 68*. Root excellorator needs roots to work with. JK
Edit: What do you think about bringing in unfiltered air into that environment?

D

darookie2000

Get that crap out of your water. Plain pH water is all you need. Letting your water go over 80* is wrong or much under 68*. Root excellorator needs roots to work with. JK
Edit: What do you think about bringing in unfiltered air into that environment?

I cleaned the hell out of the res, cleared the nozzles and put in distilled water with half strength clonex and two tsp of 35% h2o2 (per the advice of the guy at the hydro shop). The res never gets over 80, it's got a fan cooling it :)

M

MIZZ ELVIS

73 degrees fahrenheit is not a prob, and is a good water temp, Get some form of rooting hormone solution with a bio-fungicide like hydro gaurd and youll be good!! With the sunleeves glass heat ray you can maintain a constant temp. relative to the changes in your local climate(Though the built in fan may be enough). Keep cool between 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit, add bio-fungicide and rooting hormone solution, keep ph at 5.5-6.0 for max nutrient Availability in hydro AND..................................Voila, you shall be set!!!

J

Jalisco Kid

Distilled water pulls nutes out of a plant. If you live in the city I would add some tap and ro water that comes out around 125 ppm. The chlorine will help keep bacteria at bay and give a little buffer,C, and Mg. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom