White spots on leaves

• Thread starter kowato12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kowato12

kowato12

Hey everyone,

so my first plant seems to be thriving! HOWEVER, i am concerned about these little white spots on the leaves. I've noticed them before but not to this extent. When i brush them on the leaf they seem to disappear pretty easily. I sprayed neem oil last week on the leaves, but i can't see any spider mites. I'm wondering if its possibly related to the humidifier I have next to the plant with the fan blowing the mist from the humidifier onto the plant resulting in some kind of deposit.

Anyone out there think they could help me? Really hope its not spider mites or mold. (It's all the same plant)

White spots on leaves
White spots on leaves 2
White spots on leaves 3
Anthem

Anthem

Are you using tap water in your humidifier? Water is the PPM of your tap water?

kowato12

kowato12

I am using tap water, but I'm adding some pH down (acidic solution) to it so the pH looks around 6.0.

I'm only using pH for the soil water.....Would adding pH solution to the humidifier water solve this problem?

Also thanks for replying so quick!

kowato12

kowato12

Also not sure how to calculate the PPM of my water. Should I get something to test that? Also would using a Brita to filter the water be useful?

kowato12

kowato12

Look like wall plaster, but maybe powdery mildew from last picture right side or maybe mites, try use forbid before flower
the white mark on the last picture on the right side is from me rubbing one of the white dots. I can't spot any mites (i sprayed neem oil today just in case). I really believe its what ^ said. seems to increase when the humidifier is on, hopefully its just deposits from the humidity on the leaves

mfed

mfed

the white mark on the last picture on the right side is from me rubbing one of the white dots. I can't spot any mites (i sprayed neem oil today just in case). I really believe its what ^ said. seems to increase when the humidifier is on, hopefully its just deposits from the humidity on the leaves
Actually...If it came from humidity might look like larger area, not a spot , I don’t know if u could understand . By the way , why do u use the humidifier?

kowato12

kowato12

Actually...If it came from humidity might look like larger area, not a spot , I don’t know if u could understand . By the way , why do u use the humidifier?

i use it to keep a humidity between 40-60% but i'm about to turn off my humidifier as the humidity in my tent seems to be around 40% on most days anyways.

idk, i don't have any reason to believe its spider mites as theres no damage to the leaf as soon as i wipe off the wipe "deposit". hopefully turning off the humidifier will change all this

mfed

mfed

i use it to keep a humidity between 40-60% but i'm about to turn off my humidifier as the humidity in my tent seems to be around 40% on most days anyways.

idk, i don't have any reason to believe its spider mites as theres no damage to the leaf as soon as i wipe off the wipe "deposit". hopefully turning off the humidifier will change all this
Then probably white powder, ez to fix on early, try close every fan after light off , not humidifier.
That why your spot looks small, probably your plant are small?

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
@kowato12,

Look on amazon for a PPM Meter, or TDS meter rather. Some reliable ones are like Bluelabs.

From what i gather from your pictures it seems like you have the same issue i do. I have 300PPM Tap water, and when i use tap water in my humidifers i will get a white buildup on my plants, kind of like small little white rocks. When you rub it off and its on your hands, it feels like your rubbing sand, rock, or something gritty together i guess, you can smoothly wipe your fingers, you get a weird feeling on your hands. ive looked at it under a 1200X microscope to verify.

By looking at this, you would think i have a case of powdery mildew arising. Thats not the case,i have resolved this issue buying distilled water for my humidifiers.

Im not saying, dont be on the lookout for PM. As growers, we should always be watching for error, keep an eye on it. But, if you find out what ppm your running, and it runs high, i would say humidifier dust is your case too.

Stay on the lookout, dont keep track of it. Look for growth if you see more arising, maybe grab a microscope and compare it to the pictures above.

kowato12

kowato12

Then probably white powder, ez to fix on early, try close every fan after light off , not humidifier.
That why your spot looks small, probably your plant are small?

what do you mean try and close every fan after light off? i typically do a 20/4 light schedule by the way, i keep my carbon filter/inline fan on 24/7 as well as my clip fan pointing above the canopy.
fyi i just wiped off the white spots for the majority with a glove and turned humidifier off. i did that earlier today and they seemed to come back after 8 hours but now that the humidifier is off i'll see in the morning if any white spots came back. here's a picture of my leaves after i wiped them off.

my plants an autoflower gorilla glue 4 weeks in, so still relatively small but its growing in a 5 gallon pot.

IMG 5348
IMG 5349
IMG 5350
kowato12

kowato12

@kowato12,

Look on amazon for a PPM Meter, or TDS meter rather. Some reliable ones are like Bluelabs.

View attachment 984166

From what i gather from your pictures it seems like you have the same issue i do. I have 300PPM Tap water, and when i use tap water in my humidifers i will get a white buildup on my plants, kind of like small little white rocks. When you rub it off and its on your hands, it feels like your rubbing sand, rock, or something gritty together i guess, you can smoothly wipe your fingers, you get a weird feeling on your hands. ive looked at it under a 1200X microscope to verify.

View attachment 984167

By looking at this, you would think i have a case of powdery mildew arising. Thats not the case,i have resolved this issue buying distilled water for my humidifiers.

Im not saying, dont be on the lookout for PM. As growers, we should always be watching for error, keep an eye on it. But, if you find out what ppm your running, and it runs high, i would say humidifier dust is your case too.

View attachment 984168

Stay on the lookout, dont keep track of it. Look for growth if you see more arising, maybe grab a microscope and compare it to the pictures above.
thanks!!!! going to purchase one right away. I live in Los Angeles so I have a feeling its something to do with the tap water (since i'm not filtering it, only changing the pH slightly). I just wiped all the tiny white spots off the leaves gently, and turned my humidifier off. going to see if white spots are back in the morning and hopefully they aren't.

speaking of water ppm, could this affect my plant when i'm watering it as well?

mfed

mfed

I mean If humidity high makes white powder , also tap water . can I see your monitor about humidity? and try pure water .

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
fyi i just wiped off the white spots for the majority with a glove and turned humidifier off. i did that earlier today and they seemed to come back after 8 hours but now that the humidifier is off i'll see in the morning if any white spots came back. here's a picture of my leaves after i wiped them off.

Looking clean, sounds like a decent idea. Keep us updated with results.

thanks!!!! going to purchase one right away. I live in Los Angeles so I have a feeling its something to do with the tap water (since i'm not filtering it, only changing the pH slightly). I just wiped all the tiny white spots off the leaves gently, and turned my humidifier off. going to see if white spots are back in the morning and hopefully they aren't.

speaking of water ppm, could this affect my plant when i'm watering it as well?

So when it comes to Tap water PPM,normally alot of it is cal-mag, which essentially, is good for your plants, so it could be decent to have higher tap water ppm, but ideally i believe the happy number is lower, around 150ppm or so.
and yes, i would say, being in los angeles, your water is probably more on the hard side. Not a bad thing, i use hard water for my grow and have had no negative effects as far as i know. but like i said, its been awhile since ive researched that magic ppm number for tap water, and i dont remember. (i just use my tap ppm and go on with my day)

So, when you go to add nutrients, and lets say you have 1000ppm nutrient solution, youll need to remember that X amount of that is tap water PPM of majority cal-mag.

Check out an article posted on Royal Queen,

kowato12

kowato12

So when it comes to Tap water PPM,normally alot of it is cal-mag, which essentially, is good for your plants, so it could be decent to have higher tap water ppm, but ideally i believe the happy number is lower, around 150ppm or so.
and yes, i would say, being in los angeles, your water is probably more on the hard side. Not a bad thing, i use hard water for my grow and have had no negative effects as far as i know. but like i said, its been awhile since ive researched that magic ppm number for tap water, and i dont remember. (i just use my tap ppm and go on with my day)

So, when you go to add nutrients, and lets say you have 1000ppm nutrient solution, youll need to remember that X amount of that is tap water PPM of majority cal-mag.

ok awesome. would a BRITA assist with lowering ppm of tap water adequately?

also since this was my first grow and all hydro stores around me were closed during quarantine, SO i went the easy route and ordered from this website:

They said their soil came with all the nutrients necessary, so I haven't even bothered with adding additional nutrients or feeding my plant anything else besides light and water to be honest. On my next grow i definitely want to go out and by my own soil and nutrients etc.

kowato12

kowato12

Check out an article posted on Royal Queen,

hey @CosmoGrows here's an update on the plants leaves. turning the humidifier off and then when back on using a lower humidity setting (40%) and filtered water from BRITA seemed to have stopped the "white spots" from showing up AS MUCH. It's not nearly as bad but still have tiny ones on some leaves. So i'm guessing it was calcium deposits or other mineral deposits from the humidifier water. Thanks for helping out with that.

Below are some pics of the leaves today. I did HOWEVER notice this on a couple of my leaves. Any chance you're able to identify what this is? The "blotches" are in the last picture. Hopefully its just water drops from spraying neem oil a couple days that could of simply burned the leaves. But I'm not so sure.

Best,
Tom

IMG 5355
IMG 5356
IMG 5357
IMG 5358
Anthem

Anthem

Looks like tap water is evaporating on your leaves and causing the white deposits. I would leave the humidity high at least 60 percent until you get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way thru flower. If you can look up VPD, Vapor pressure Deficit and try to follow based on your temperature in the grow. Also someone mentioned to turn off fans and close vents with lights out. Please do not do this. It will create a humidity spike and could cause PM. Pm does not like to grow in conditions that have a relative humidity under 50 percent. Once your buds are about 1/3 or 1/2 thru the flowering process you need to keep mind of the humidity. PM and Bud Rot love the high humidty and bud rot has a nasty habit of forming on the best colas. Good luck with your grow!!!!!!!!!!

kowato12

kowato12

Looks like tap water is evaporating on your leaves and causing the white deposits. I would leave the humidity high at least 60 percent until you get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way thru flower. If you can look up VPD, Vapor pressure Deficit and try to follow based on your temperature in the grow. Also someone mentioned to turn off fans and close vents with lights out. Please do not do this. It will create a humidity spike and could cause PM. Pm does not like to grow in conditions that have a relative humidity under 50 percent. Once your buds are about 1/3 or 1/2 thru the flowering process you need to keep mind of the humidity. PM and Bud Rot love the high humidty and bud rot has a nasty habit of forming on the best colas. Good luck with your grow!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, since i filtered the water before I put it in the humidifier I've had no issues with the deposits anymore.
On the humidifier I leave the humidity setting on 35% and then my humidistat/thermometer in the tent says the humidity is usually around 50-55%. I'm thinking about completely turning off the humidifier once it hits the flowering stage, just because my tent humidity with the humidifier off already sits around 30-40%

i always have my inline fan and clip fan going when the lights are out. I'm heading into week 5 next Tuesday, so my watering has increased as well. I keep the LED ufo light on no less than 20 hours on a day now

here are some photos today after spraying the neem oil 2 days ago. It seems like more leaves have these kind of blotches as compared to before. Could it just be the neem oil solution drying up the leaves? Or are these blotches / yellow leaf (first pic) a result of under-watering since my plant is getting bigger?

IMG 5362
IMG 5367
IMG 5368
IMG 5369
Golfr323

Golfr323

Would you say I have the same problem guys pls let me know what you think

C6586B0A 878C 4C44 A7F3 CBF6A67F41DD
551B6265 E845 4F6B 9305 79D80DFC8C21
E3913985 CDF6 4695 BDD6 0D98C1FE22D8
Top Bottom