White vinegar for ph down?

• Thread starter phoenix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

phoenix

I recently ran out of ph down and decided to use vinegar as a temp solution.We only had dark but i'm sure somewhere i have seen someone say to use white.Does anybody have any idea's about this?
If u can use it all the time surely it would be better than a strong chemical like nitirc or phospherous.Would it affect taste?

F

Finalopagus

I have never used it but know it will only last for awhile (less then 24 hours) same with lime juice...

Go to the pet store and buy some ph down, or order it from an online store. Both should get you back to normal within 48 hours. phosphoric acid IMO

P

ProGroWannabe

Like Final said, it's somewhat temporary, but I use it in coco as my only source of pH down. I've been using it since I read that it's what Mandala Mike uses--over a year now. I thought if it was good enough for him, why not try it. At 3 bucks a gallon, it's hard to look at other options.

7rayos

When running down of bottled liquids, vinegar is slightly more stable than squeezed lemon, but i prefer the latter, as it also provides antioxidants that are quite beneficial for the roots and keep them nice and white. I grow in 7-10 litre pots organic in the terrace of my house, and i always use lemon. What i do is get a 3 gallon bucket with water, squeeze half a lemon and leave it floating there until the next day watering. I use tap water so it has to rest for at least 24 hours for getting rid of chloride and let salt excesses fall to the bottom. When measuring the ph the day after (in ph8+ water) it shows a nice 6.4-6.8, but i don't know how does it affect to ec for more precise types of growth. When regularly using vinegar expect flies around. Not that they're harmful to the plant, they're just disgusting.

P

phoenix

3 great replys there,thanks farmers.I think i just prefer the idea of lemon or vinegar rather than chems.I never thought about the antioxidant properties of lemon[we had no lemon and just vinegar so the choice was made for me],good shout 7Rayos.
cheers for the tip Finalapogas,it would mean keep adding it then every 24hrs?
I agree Pro,if it's good enough for that cat,then it can't be crap.
I take then that no-one has noticed anything noticable in the final fruit?The thought of my bud smelling like vinegar isn't too appealing,but then again they don't taste of nitric when i use ph down so there's probably no reason they would!

P

ProGroWannabe

No bro, I've had no complaints on the taste of my bud.

F

Finalopagus

phnix I grow in Hydro. Soil, as said above, allows for a higher pH (6.5 is ok). In hydro you can't get the pH down to the 5.5 needed without a stronger more stable acid, like phosphoric acid. This makes lemons and vinegar not suitable as a long term fix.

u could keep adding lemons all the time for the grow but as u are thinkin the flavor will be affected.... not even sure if that would work ..:shake

P

phoenix

Yeah that about covers what i needed,thanks for that,i'm glad i asked,specially about the nft,i'm new to hydro as it is,don't wanna be giving meself more probs!

Top Bottom