White, yellow mold under seedling pot

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

These sit in a tray and likely had low to no air flow around the bottoms of the pots. The tray is on a heating mat which can dry out the bottom of the media after a while. Perhaps I was keeping these too moist even though "it's impossible to over water coco." This is my first time with coco.

It is 70/30 coco perlite with scant worm castings worked in. Have only received plain water and a couple shots with diluted FF Grow Big.

You think this is bad? Fuzzy white mold and a couple spots that look yellow almost like expanded foam.

My concern is that it's at the bottom of the pots and the plant roots are just about ready to hit bottom. When I transplant I'm not sure if I should be worried about adding these mold chunks to the center of the media.

What do you think? Should I remove from the pots, knock the chunks off, and backfill with fresh coco? Thanks.

White yellow mold under seedling pot
White yellow mold under seedling pot 2
White yellow mold under seedling pot 3
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Not yet. I'm going to transplant today and add some mycorrhizae to roots.

BigCube

BigCube

Not yet. I'm going to transplant today and add some mycorrhizae to roots.

I was just wondering, cause mycorrhizae can cause while/off while mould like growth in the soil. This is healthy mycorrhizae.

Not sure about what you have happening.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

The yellow looking growth deeper in the pot in the first pic looks like mycelium, and it might fruit some mushrooms. It creates CO2 as it grows (not much), and it breaks down chunks of wood bits in the soil.

20220717 212540
20220720 124002
20220721 190124
BigCube

BigCube

Yeah, exactly what it looked like to me.
Healthy mycorrhizae colonies do the same thing.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Good to know. I re potted, added mycorrhizae, and noticed more yellow mold looking just Mr macro logos.

DYNOMYCO

Supporter
I was just wondering, cause mycorrhizae can cause while/off while mould like growth in the soil. This is healthy mycorrhizae.

Not sure about what you have happening.
That's not mycorrhizal fungi in the photo! What you're looking at is the development of Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, a sapropyhtic fungus. It doesn't have any symbiosis with the plants, but breaks down organic matter in the soil.
Endomycorrhizal fungi, the ones you want to use when growing cannabis, don't produce any fruiting bodies, and you will not be able to see their hyphae with the naked eye.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

That's not mycorrhizal fungi in the photo! What you're looking at is the development of Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, a sapropyhtic fungus. It doesn't have any symbiosis with the plants, but breaks down organic matter in the soil.
Endomycorrhizal fungi, the ones you want to use when growing cannabis, don't produce any fruiting bodies, and you will not be able to see their hyphae with the naked eye.

While there's no symbiosis (the plants & fungus don't require one another for life), the plants get a minor benifit from the co2 and breakdown of complex molecules into more base elements.

Endo is better done in a container (5 gal bucket) of colonized substrat, and then, the co2 it offgasses while growing is vented into a grow space. It could be used in potting soil too, but it won't produce much co2.

Here is a 5 gal bucket product on Amazon, for example, (you can also get "co2 bags"):

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

Didn't say it was. I said it looked kind of like it. Then I straight out said I dont know what it is.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

So I look in my bag of coco that the above plants were in and look at this:

PXL 20220818 203749777

PXL 20220818 203739605

PXL 20220818 2037396052

Is this Leucocoprinus birnbaumii? I don't see mushroom heads, this looks more like a plaque. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Between you and me I am growing in coco w/ worm castings. I'm about to transplant soon and have some mix ready. Think I should throw some of this mold in there? Haha.
Thanks fellows.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

About to transplant tomorrow no cap. Any reason I should throw some fungus in the new mix chief?

New mix consists of dry fertilizer, worm poop, and coco-perlite asf. Thanks fam fr fr.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

So I look in my bag of coco that the above plants were in and look at this:

View attachment 1272471

View attachment 1272472
View attachment 1272470

Is this Leucocoprinus birnbaumii? I don't see mushroom heads, this looks more like a plaque. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Between you and me I am growing in coco w/ worm castings. I'm about to transplant soon and have some mix ready. Think I should throw some of this mold in there? Haha.
Thanks fellows.
Looks like mycelium... it can take a bit of time for mushrooms to fruit from it.

This is worth watching if you've never seen a shroom grow video. This lady gives a decent lesson with the basic science of it all.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I'm about to top dress and add some coco. This coco:
PXL 20220905 172748720

It's damp inside. Should I scrape the yellow and white off the top or mix it in? I will be adding EWCs and organic dry fert.

Thanks

Top Bottom