Whiteflies On Apple Tree

• Thread starter Savage Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

theres an apple tree in my backyard that I've neglected for years. A few months ago I started topdressing and watering with my weekly compost tea leftovers and the thing is actually producing some fruit.

Unfortunately I haven't done any preventative pest maintinence and when I was adding some support to some sagging branches massive swarms of whiteflies billowed off its foliage. Gnarly.

Any tips on getting things under control? obviously I'm not walking from outside into my grow rooms but that shit freaked me out.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Just goes to show how good a drop of tea is.try making some foliars with ewc teas,or beetle frass foliar is good for bugs and preventative measures.good luck.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Thanks guys, since I already use a bit of frass in my teas I might as well dilute some and give the tree a spray down a couple nights a week.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Thanks guys, since I already use a bit of frass in my teas I might as well dilute some and give the tree a spray down a couple nights a week.
frass is excellent as a foliar.i hit my plants regularly with it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
theres an apple tree in my backyard that I've neglected for years. A few months ago I started topdressing and watering with my weekly compost tea leftovers and the thing is actually producing some fruit.

Unfortunately I haven't done any preventative pest maintinence and when I was adding some support to some sagging branches massive swarms of whiteflies billowed off its foliage. Gnarly.

Any tips on getting things under control? obviously I'm not walking from outside into my grow rooms but that shit freaked me out.
Spinosad applied in the evening.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Thanks, @Seamaiden. Do you think timing it like I would for spider mites (every 3rd day) will work?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well shoot, I thought Spinosad was labeled for whiteflies, coulda sworn I'd read that. It is not labeled for whiteflies. But for the pests it is labeled for (on apples) it says, 2oz/gal, no more than 6 applications/season, used no more than 7 days and no fewer than 10 days apart.

I apologize for that mistake. Let me do some searching, see what else I can come up with.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7401.html

Neem, JMS Stylets, hosing the tree off with a strong stream, removing affected leaves/areas and insecticidal soaps seem to be the main organic controls. Otherwise, neonics like imidacloprid are the answer.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Thanks, sea! I'll probably start taking some stabs with neem or biowar leftovers. I appreciate the help.

Top Bottom