Whitefly Infestation 4 Weeks Before Harvest. Should I Spray?

• Thread starter royfree2grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Left the garden for a couple of days and came back to a nasty Whitefly infestation. i'm a month away from full harvest and been trying to avoid spraying anything at this point to keep humidity low so i wont induce fungi/bud rot. Mainly two plants are heavily infested although no bite marks on any of the plants.

all plants are outside and under a polycarbonate roof (which im learning more and more is bad) that we installed to combat the near rains- to avoid breakage and high humidity. -- fuck... im pretty sure (i see) it also reduces trichomes production.

As you can see and extrapolate this mentioned setup results in a low air flow environment and thus susceptible to rot, thats why im afraid to spray..
so how would you deal with these whiteflys? should i spray? how and with what?

Thanks farmers!!

Whitefly infestation 4 weeks before harvest should i spray
Whitefly infestation 4 weeks before harvest should i spray 2
Whitefly infestation 4 weeks before harvest should i spray 3
ODFarminSSH

ODFarminSSH

You can buy swarski mites in powder form and lay em on heavy on infested plant(s)…I believe white fly is there favorite meal.
They also make a "dynatrap" various sizes 1acre, 1/2acre, etc…
Last idea on top of my head would be placing a bunch of sticky traps around the infested plant(s)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Left the garden for a couple of days and came back to a nasty Whitefly infestation. i'm a month away from full harvest and been trying to avoid spraying anything at this point to keep humidity low so i wont induce fungi/bud rot. Mainly two plants are heavily infested although no bite marks on any of the plants.

all plants are outside and under a polycarbonate roof (which im learning more and more is bad) that we installed to combat the near rains- to avoid breakage and high humidity. -- fuck... im pretty sure (i see) it also reduces trichomes production.

As you can see and extrapolate this mentioned setup results in a low air flow environment and thus susceptible to rot, thats why im afraid to spray..
so how would you deal with these whiteflys? should i spray? how and with what?

Thanks farmers!!
Follow this link, got to page 4 about 1/3 to half way down is a lot of information on white fly infestation, remedies & prevention. Act fast as whitefly life cycle is relatively short and they will become prolific and suck the life out of those gals, diverting bud building energy trying to save itself from the attack.

Next run use yellow sticky traps as an early warning system so you can get proactive before you have a full blown infestation. Peace

below frigid

below frigid

I have the exact same problem. Hate to spray this late in flower but I am afraid if I don't it could be come a big problem. Only one plant had them at first now they are starting to move to the other plants. Leaving to go Albacore fishing in Ilwaco Wa. tomorrow, it will have to wait until I get back on Friday. Going to hit them with Pyrethrum Spray. Sprayed them today with Actinovate as a fungal preventative.F-ing bugs! Where do those bastards come from?

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Yo, don't use pyrethrins late in flower, use azamax it'll dissolve within 2 weeks but will get rid of your bugs and also milk is a great anti- fungal and will not leave a bad taste or residue, IMHO.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

@ODFarminSSH i must say i have bad experience with bio pesticides plus i doubt i can get this stuff out here but ill look into it...

hanged some yellow stickys yesterday and today they were no longer yellow, they're white now...:wideyed:;)
i dont think the dynatrap and sticky traps will do the job as some of my plants look heavily infested but it'll slow them down for sure.

Follow this link, got to page 4 about 1/3 to half way down is a lot of information on white fly infestation, remedies & prevention. Act fast as whitefly life cycle is relatively short and they will become prolific and suck the life out of those gals, diverting bud building energy trying to save itself from the attack.

Next run use yellow sticky traps as an early warning system so you can get proactive before you have a full blown infestation. Peace

Good link. yellow sticky traps as a per-infestation indicator is a good idea.

Azamax (about 30 ml per gallon) with an ounce of milk per gallon, spray either early morning or late afternoon so it dries up but the milk will prevent mold

Sadly i can't get Azamax out here neither Stylet or any Technical Grade mineral oil.. been trying to get these products forever but no one use them here (no such product is listed under approved organic products in IL neither).

Yo, don't use pyrethrins late in flower, use azamax it'll dissolve within 2 weeks but will get rid of your bugs and also milk is a great anti- fungal and will not leave a bad taste or residue, IMHO.

+1

i do have Pyrethrum but i'm saving it as a last resort, i rather use Azadirachtin but its not ideal either.
Milk? really? sounds very interesting. can you tell me a bit more on this from your experience?

So what do you guys think...should i keep treating it without spraying, only slowing them down with traps? can growth be unaffected despite the infestation which is mostly on two plants right now?

I mean-- without spraying the flies has a month from now tops to do all the damage they can.. question is will the scope of damage hurt my product or yield? do i have to choose between whitefly infest vs greater potential for rot?

Thanks farmers!

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Doesn't OG Biowar take care of white flies? I wouldn't use Azamax this late into the season, unless you want tainted buds and oil.

i wish i could switch my last option from Azadirachtin/oil based product to OG Biowar or even any other mycos product but unfortunately no one here has ever heard of it and its impossible to get.. i even considered asking Cap if its possible to send the small packages internationally but at that time it just seemed too much to go through for nutes.

Right now im not sparing anything, i dont want that moisture cause im pretty sure it'll induce bud rot which scares me more then flies. ATM i just monitor and hanging traps...

I typically recommend swirski's as a preventative against RM/BM but looks like they have a list of options for whiteflies, swirski being one of many.
If you could elaborate a little of your bad bio bugs?
http://www.koppert.com/pests/whiteflies/

Sure, i used Phytoseiulus persimilis againt spider mites, they didn't seem to interrupt the spider mites at all, if anything they helped them! all my plants were full of these fucking creatures and i stayed heavily infested till i chopped. plus the hydro shop i got it from sold the mites inside that peat nest which shattered upon releasing the mites, so some buds had peat sprinkles on them, i ended up cleaning and smoking most of these buds myself because they weren't transferable.

ODFarminSSH

ODFarminSSH

I'll keep in mind...sounds like a nightmare. GLTY hope those fkrs let those girls finish without to much problems

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Make sure not to breathe the dust or get it in your eyes. Resperator and goggles a must when using outside, gust of wind could give you a face full.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

@ODFarminSSH thanks buddy!

I would dust heavily with diatomateous earth, it is easily washed off with water.
After it was washed off and the majority were gone earth. l'd let loose the fly killing wasps from my earlier post.
http://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-...1442889154&sr=8-1&keywords=Diatomateous+earth
Use this to spread the diatomateous earth
http://www.amazon.com/Dustin-mizer-...8&qid=1442889284&sr=8-1&keywords=Crank+duster

thanks man! your thinking is super organic dude. did you ever used that method? currently i don't dare dusting especially with DE... i think dusting like that can get some DE on and inside the buds, and you don't wanna inhale that shit.

m8ty

m8ty

You can also spray them white fly bastatds with water and gardening soap it will drown them, do it in the evening when the breeze kicks in so it can dry the colas.

Here there is always a breeze that starts around 4 pm and last till 6 pm or so..

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

I'm glad i overkilled it with the yellow sticky traps. since hanging them it seems the flies overall population reduced by 15-20% or more, but they're spreading out... every plant has some flies flying around it when shaking its branches, some- not many.

Strange thing though; when i checked the two that are more heavily infested today, some of the smaller leaves on the top of the colas looked very infested with what looked like eggs and nymphs, and the leaves were wet...:yuck: what is this? their wax? or maybe the sap they're sucking up?

Also some bad news; during today's thorough checkup i saw some webs on a couple of flowers, so now i have spider mites too, on one plant ATM. im about 3-4 weeks from harvest... i think i better spray somthing now.

I'm thinking of foliage treatment with Neemix 4.5 (azadirachtin), we used it during veg as part of our pest control cycle with much success. it'll hit both mites and whiteflys, i think its safe to use at this point of flower, they say "Neemix has a 0-day pre-harvest interval (PHI) and a 12-hour re-entry interval (REI)... i know its not referring to products intended for smoking though. i'll be glad to get your opinion on using this product that late guys.

Thanks everyone!!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Water drying help remove neem? Not sure if it would make any difference but you change the water when water drying and it seems like that would remove some of the spray. If I saw webs I would probably just harvest early, sorry man.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Water drying help remove neem? Not sure if it would make any difference but you change the water when water drying and it seems like that would remove some of the spray. If I saw webs I would probably just harvest early, sorry man.

no...i don't think i'm gonna harvest early because of one (badly) contaminated plant... not yet. I took off the three flowers with webs, im gonna hit it with Neemix 4.5 and play it from there.

Top Bottom