Who All Is Running A Cmh With Hps Ballast?

• Thread starter username09
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

username09

Just wondering how many people here are running the CMH lights off their old HPS ballasts. I've got a few 1000w ballasts and after reading all the positives about the CMH lights I thought about giving them a run using my old ballasts before buying a completely new light.

HerbPotent

HerbPotent

From what I understand its really not a good idea to do that. They have 315 conversion kits on ebay though. All you need is the bulb, the small 315 ballast and the socket conversion for your existing hood. Its not to complicated just three things.

U

username09

Well hell, I thought I could buy the bulb and conversion socket and get away with it but I'll start looking into the conversion kits. Thanks guys.

dan1989

dan1989

I might be wrong but don't most CMH bulbs have the ballast built into the body of the bulb? I was looking at a reflector and I was under the impression it was pretty much plug n play? Like I say I could be wrong that's why I'm throwing it out there for the experts to jump on lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I might be wrong but don't most CMH bulbs have the ballast built into the body of the bulb? I was looking at a reflector and I was under the impression it was pretty much plug n play? Like I say I could be wrong that's why I'm throwing it out there for the experts to jump on lol

It's not on the bulb. It's built into the reflector. And like gnome said is available I use a remote reflector and galaxy ballast.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well hell, I thought I could buy the bulb and conversion socket and get away with it but I'll start looking into the conversion kits. Thanks guys.

They still have 400 w earlier mogul base cmh bulbs. But they don't have the killer par of the new 315. And they only use magnetic ballasts.

Growers house had a good deal on their prism ballast with a Phillips bulb and the sun system remote reflector. Like $320 I think.

Organikz

Organikz

The mogul style isn't worth it. Phillips stopped making the bulbs. GE makes one but it sucks. Honestly these bulbs are a bit volatile to be guessing with. One of the bulbs that came with mine had to be wiggled inside the jacket to work. I sent it back immediately. I also installed a watch dog fire extinguisher.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The mogul style isn't worth it. Phillips stopped making the bulbs. GE makes one but it sucks. Honestly these bulbs are a bit volatile to be guessing with. One of the bulbs that came with mine had to be wiggled inside the jacket to work. I sent it back immediately. I also installed a watch dog fire extinguisher.

I have heard that about the GE version too.

The new tech 315 with the low frequency square wave ballast is much better than the old Phillips bulb and a mag ballast by a lot anyway.

Leew421

Leew421

The Phillips bulbs suck ass. I went through 5 and all but one had issues with being seated correctly.

fatawa

fatawa

The Phillips bulbs suck ass. I went through 5 and all but one had issues with being seated correctly.
that suks...thought that was the go to bulb.i got 6×315 n the box still just wrking on design of new rm first.all philips bulbs tho

Leew421

Leew421

I would do some dry runs to make sure no fails. Leave them on for a solid 12 hours for the first fire up to break them in proper.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I made a call the day after I set my rooms up. 1 call to growershouse, 1 to Phillips.

Top Bottom