Who has the best thai??

• Thread starter mokush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mokush

Who as the best thai??? Pure thai not crosses? I'm looking for a pure thai for a couple projects I have in store!

M

mokush

well I finally got some og chocolate thai f3 coming soon but I want reg thai

ISeemToBeAVerb

ISeemToBeAVerb

I know World Of Seeds offers a landrace Thai from the Ko Chang Islands. You can find it here.

ISeemToBeAVerb

ISeemToBeAVerb

Hey, I didn't say it was good!! :-D I just said they offer one.

I can't really think of anyone that has a pure Thai landrace on the market right now. Everything I can think of is a hybrid. Aside from the fem seeds I posted, the only other commercial offering I could find was a Laotian Highland from The Real Seed Co.

Sorry, I know they aren't great choices, but that's what I could think of.

Good luck!

-Verb

T

trichburner

Ace's double thai (available through Ace) and Billy Goat's bankok betty(coming soon) are both crosses between two pure thai's . Gypsy has a thai available called thai stick sativa . A recent grow of it was just finished in the strains&hybrid section of IC . That thai flowered for 26 weeks . British Hempires highland thai is sometimes available over on another site . Billy goat will also be offering Chocolate thai which came from Drawoh(Drawoh's F3's are now available on the same site as BH's seeds) That Chocolate Thai was origionally from DNA , which they shelved it a long time ago .

Those are off the top of my head

O

Ozstoner

Hey mokush,

I scored a pack of them Choc Thai f3's. Looks like excellent breeding stock and can't wait to try it straight. I might have to leave them in the fridge till i get a bit more practice with mostly sativa plants though!

From some research i did on DJ short, i found that Blueberry's lineage is Purple Thai (Oaxacan Gold x Chocolate Thai) x Juicy Fruit Thai x Afghani. So if this is correct then i would think that Choc Thai must be a landrace strain?

Edit: here we go i found it, yes it is a landrace strain-

Part quote from DJ Short: "I used three P1 strains to breed Blueberry, Flo and others. They were the Highland Thai (also called Juicy Fruit Thai, a first-generation Thai seed grown in the Pacific Northwest); a cross called Purple Thai which was a first generation land-race Chocolate Thai crossed once with a first generation land-race Highland Oaxaca Gold; and an Afghani Indica which came to me one generation removed from Afghanistan via the California/Southern Oregon growing community.

The finished product from the Highland Thai was an all-around champion herb. Though difficult to trim and cure, the outcome was fully worth the effort. It was a powerful, long-lasting and exquisitely flavoured herb with little or no ceiling. The high could last up to seven hours! The flavour, aroma and taste were a totally sweet tropical punch – tutti-fruity all the way.

The Purple Thai was the other sativa in my repertoire. This was a first generation cross between the Highland Oaxaca Gold and the Chocolate Thai. This cross grew medium/tall and was very symmetric in structure. The side branches were shorter and, if left alone (untopped) the main stalk (meristem) remained the dominant shoot.

The entire plant of the Purple Thai was very dark-coloured and would express a deep royal purple colour at the slightest exposure to cold. It did not exhibit any of the spindly bud syndrome of the Juicy Fruit Thai, and the finished buds were a medium and compact sativa type. The finished product was equally as fruity and strong as the Juicy Fruit, also without ceiling.

For whatever aesthetic reason, I preferred the Purple Thai to the Juicy Fruit Highland Thai. I believe that the Purple Thai was emotionally kinder or gentler than the Juicy Fruit. At larger doses the Juicy Fruit could evoke quite a terror, especially when combined with psychedelics. Though no less potent, the Purple Thai seemed easier to handle, including when tripping. The Purple Thai was one of the first to show resin gland production in the early bud cycle, at roughly three to four weeks into the cycle. It also matured at 10 to 12 weeks indoor, and early to mid November outdoors." Un-quote

T

trichburner

The Thai's are not dominate in DJ's strains though . The cocoa kush would be the best shot at getting a chocolate thai pheno and with the True Blueberry one might possibly be able to bring out a highland thai pheno. But both strains will take some serious populations and some heavy handed selections to bring out the thai's . Also, the True Blueberry seeds are getting more rare and expensive .

O

Ozstoner

G'day Trichburner,

I wonder if British Hempire's highland thai is the same as DJ's Highland Thai (aka Juicy Fruit Thai)?

If so you could try to re-create Blueberry!

T

trichburner

I doubt it . There's no telling where in thailand BH's came from as he received it as an import in a package with thai lettering on the lable. for all any of us know , it could have came from China. But that didn't stop me from ordering a pack . I will say from the grow reports I have seen ; it does have several south east asian traits to it , so it is safe to say it did come from the region .

With current offerings on the market , the best route would be to go with any of the above that I mentioned or the Real Seed Company offering that was mentioned earlier (that is if it is even available anymore)

For a taste of the oldschool Highland thai talked about around campfires ; it would be better to grow out at least a couple packs of Sam Skunkman's Thai haze x skunk . Open polinate and cross the most south east asian phenos from the F2's to Tom Hill's haze (origionally from positronics) and backcross the most thai leaning F2's from that cross right back into the thai leaning F2's from the thai haze x skunk and from there on start pheno hunting through big populations . Sam has confirmed the thai in the haze line as being of the Northern Highland variety .

Flavors of the old Highland thais are said to have a broad range from sweet citrus/lemony to a light fruity to a sweet nutty/vanilla flavors . Large open/airy bud structure but very little foxtailing , larger tear drop shaped calyxes with thin whispy hairs , thin to medium leaves with wide/blunted serrations , bushy growth and of course a very long 20+ week flowering time .

The mexican/colombian side of the haze has thin leaves with little sharp pointy serrations , more foxtailing to the buds, smaller calyxes , earthy pepper/incense flavors , purple/red coloration to the buds/leaves , xmas tree branch structure , flowering time from a shorter 16-18 week to just as long as the thais .

O

Ozstoner

Wow Trich, you really are a fountain of knowledge.

That's some interesting info. I've got 4 packs of Tom Hill Haze, maybee when i grow them out, if i get any thai phenos that look compatible with the chocolate thai i could cross them

T

trichburner

All these pics are borrowed , I do apologize to all parties if it's out of place

Here's a Haze (Tom Hill) grown by CBF . IMVHO, Thia is showing through in the leaf serrations and bud structure .

cbf_-_hz.jpg

These next six images were borrowed from Pebble in the Ace forum at IC . Bud structure is what I see as a highland variety . This is the Double Thai .

pebble_-_dbl_T5.bmp

pebble_-_dbl_T6.jpg

pebble_-_dbl_T.jpg

pebble_-_dbl_T2.jpg

pebble_-_dbl_T3.jpg

pebble_-_dbl_T4.jpg

These last five pics are from Sativa Fiend over at Breedbay . This is a true highland variety from and grown in the region .

sf1.jpg

sf2.jpg

sf3.jpg

sf4.jpg

sf5.jpg

O

Ozstoner

Hey thanks heaps man, they're really good pics to help people identify thai phenos. When you said "leaves with wide/blunted serrations" i was trying to picture it in my head, but couldn't. Now i see what you mean, the serrations are very wide apart.

The second pic rings a bell. I see plants every now and then with leaves that look like that, in bagseeds i've grown and pics i see here and there. But the leaves i see are usually a bit broader and darker green, because they are not pure sativas but sativa dominant hybrids. Now i know where they get this trait from.

C

CrackMan265

awesome information in this thread.. makes me wonder why DJ never offered his purple thai in seed form

T

trichburner

The second pic rings a bell. I see plants every now and then with leaves that look like that, in bagseeds i've grown and pics i see here and there. But the leaves i see are usually a bit broader and darker green, because they are not pure sativas but sativa dominant hybrids. Now i know where they get this trait from.

The leaves of that second pic are not typical for the highland varieties but more common in the lowland SE Asians . There's a few pics floating around the web of Cambodians and Vietnamese that display a similar narrow width with a finer serration trait in the leaves . Ace's Double Thai I believe is a Highland x lowland . I'll have to go back and dig for that info .

Many moons ago about the second year I tried growing , I scored some weed from some local bikers . They told me it was thai , but being in the midwest not too far from the ohio valley , I really didn't believe them at the time (this was early-mid nineties) . I sprouted the seeds , the first set of leaves were a lot wider and longer and darker green than the mexican bagseed I had previously tried to grow , the seedlings also had a tremendous amount of stretch . Years later after a bunch of research , I'm really cussing who ever the asshole was that stole them when they were two weeks old , still in the seedling trays . That was some of the most trippy , bell ringing energetic weed I had ever bought and smoked and it still ranks very high up there compared to everything I've had since .

Latest posts

Top Bottom