Who runs sterile (dead) res's with coco?

• Thread starter KGJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KGJ

I am thinking about switching to a sterile res with coco and was wondering what you guys use to sterilize your res's and at what rate (H202, Bleach, Chlorine, Etc.) And would I still need an airstone in my res if it is sterile?

I

ibTheMan

A three day clean'n (24hours for each) first, Hydrozyme , second germicidal bleach, third H2O2 works real good.

K

KGJ

Thanks IB, I should have been more specific. I am asking about running a sterile (dead) res with nutes in it, essentially feeding the plants with h202, bleach etc. Btw I am running GH flora micro 6ml and Bloom 9ml.

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

no bleach. use dutchmaster zone. it's like 1 ml a gallon and keeps everything completely sterile. i ran a sterile coco round last time with dm. got really high quality but most of my strains never exploded the way they do with a living rootzone. back to bacteria this round for me. some did amazing well though, so good luck.

i ran an airstone because dm said to. some nutrients specifically say not to.

K

KGJ

So you noticed a decreased yield with a sterile res. Hmmm, thats not a good thing. Appreciate the info my man!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Huh? Sterile as far as no benies or organic teas? I Just run strait CNS 17 and SM90. I dont know bout the decrease in yield. My yield has pretty much been the same no matter what nutes I run. Works like a champ. Havent adjusted the PH in a week.

Are you flooding or what? You dont need an airstone in flood tables. The flooding oxygenates it plenty. Certain nutes need a recirc pump so they dont fall out of suspension (a la Flora Nova).

Benies are the only thing that need an air pump. I say stick to clean when running hydro. Makes your life alot easier and makes cleaning the res and tables less of a headache.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
I am thinking about switching to a sterile res with coco and was wondering what you guys use to sterilize your res's and at what rate (H202, Bleach, Chlorine, Etc.) And would I still need an airstone in my res if it is sterile?

if you have RO water and GH lucas formula (are you using any organic nutes? bennies? ) if not that is considerd a sterile system dont use any carbs and only chemical bloom or veg enhancers h202 for any bad microbes or fungi unless Im mistaken this is a sterile system

now my question is why ?

M

mrdizzle

theres really no reason I can think of to run a sterile rez with coco, disease isnt really an issuse with coco

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
theres really no reason I can think of to run a sterile rez with coco, disease isnt really an issuse with coco
this is also my thought .......if dirty res is a problem dont add any carbs
till you feed

K

KGJ

So you guys don't think I should run a sterile res? The reason I started looking into it was because my res was starting to smell a little fishy after about 4 days after mixing. I have about a 50 gallon res with an airstone,(running drip to waste) but the temps in the res are in the 75 degree F range so I thought the high temp might be causing bad bacterial growth and didn't want to risk root rot. As far as nutes I'm only running Gh fora micro, bloom, and the occasional koolbloom power. So even with my res temps being high, you don't think I should run a sterile res?

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
So you guys don't think I should run a sterile res? The reason I started looking into it was because my res was starting to smell a little fishy after about 4 days after mixing. I have about a 50 gallon res with an airstone,(running drip to waste) but the temps in the res are in the 75 degree F range so I thought the high temp might be causing bad bacterial growth and didn't want to risk root rot. As far as nutes I'm only running Gh fora micro, bloom, and the occasional koolbloom power. So even with my res temps being high, you don't think I should run a sterile res?

that fish smell is good for the plants becteria is why it smells proly

K

KGJ

that fish smell is good for the plants becteria is why it smells proly

If I am running synthetic nutes I don't want this type of bacteria though, right? I also noticed the beginning of a tannish colored film coating on my air hose line in the res too. Couldn't this lead to root rot, even in coco?

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
If I am running synthetic nutes I don't want this type of bacteria though, right? I also noticed the beginning of a tannish colored film coating on my air hose line in the res too. Couldn't this lead to root rot, even in coco?

dont think so .that is alge............any carbs? is res in the dark?
they are in your coco already proly . alge is bad though
and its proly the alge making the smell too if you dont have any carbs in res

just pump air in to water and when you feed mix nutes and problem solved

K

KGJ

No carbs. I keep it real simple with gh flora micro and bloom 6/9 formula with the occasional koolbloom powder feed. The film that was coating the air hose tube was a tannish color. I started using h202 the last two feeds, so far so good, they are reaching toward the sky, but I'll have to wait and see what happens.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I am running a recirc dwc style system, with the gh flora micro and bloom as well, and sometimes my res gets a little warm, if one was to use bleach how much per gal should one use, I have some 29% h202 will this work? if so how much per gallon of nutrient solution, and how often?

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
I am running a recirc dwc style system, with the gh flora micro and bloom as well, and sometimes my res gets a little warm, if one was to use bleach how much per gal should one use, I have some 29% h202 will this work? if so how much per gallon of nutrient solution, and how often?

whatever you do dont use bleach

3ml per gallon h2o2 = 3% h2o2

but for temp you need to cool it not fix what temp does know what I meen?

K

KGJ

Smoke1sun, good link man! Yeah a chiller would be optimal eventually, but for now I have to fight the less than ideal res temps (75 ish).

Top Bottom