• Thread starter Bbog47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Noobs, or at least this one, pick ff because there is the most readily available information and help resources for it. One has to start, learn and THEN adjust. But how can a noob know anything, so the easiest to google is a good go to.

I would have to ask, why? What component, or percentages are off with ff? I can call ff, can I call these others? What EXACT thing would you change, or add or take away to make ff "the one". Is it just money? Because for a noob, getting this "other" better (unspecified) thing is a bit iffy, I can buy what is commonly used or talked up, with all the grow journal references, the how to videos and the helpful hints from other users, or I can (not knowing a root from a stem) randomly pick something you aren't even calling by name or benefit, and then come to y'all and ask, who uses the "Joebitcher" dirt and can help me with some issues... Then they all say, I'm more familiar with ff products, why'd you buy that stuff anyway... And, me, a dummy noob has no real info on why, just finally figuring out the root/stem thing!

So, as a noob, please tell me what component you would alter so that I can look for this better mystery product easier and I'll try it. But to randomly hate on a product without any substantial info IS what noobs hate. I bought it, and now I'm questioning it, because I don't know, and you should, but there is no googlable knowledge shared! Frustrating, till I realize it's just a personal issue, and that there is a good reason noobs don't pick your mystery dirt

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Noobs, or at least this one, pick ff because there is the most readily available information and help resources for it. One has to start, learn and THEN adjust. But how can a noob know anything, so the easiest to google is a good go to.

I would have to ask, why? What component, or percentages are off with ff? I can call ff, can I call these others? What EXACT thing would you change, or add or take away to make ff "the one". Is it just money? Because for a noob, getting this "other" better (unspecified) thing is a bit iffy, I can buy what is commonly used or talked up, with all the grow journal references, the how to videos and the helpful hints from other users, or I can (not knowing a root from a stem) randomly pick something you aren't even calling by name or benefit, and then come to y'all and ask, who uses the "Joebitcher" dirt and can help me with some issues... Then they all say, I'm more familiar with ff products, why'd you buy that stuff anyway... And, me, a dummy noob has no real info on why, just finally figuring out the root/stem thing!

So, as a noob, please tell me what component you would alter so that I can look for this better mystery product easier and I'll try it. But to randomly hate on a product without any substantial info IS what noobs hate. I bought it, and now I'm questioning it, because I don't know, and you should, but there is no googlable knowledge shared! Frustrating, till I realize it's just a personal issue, and that there is a good reason noobs don't pick your mystery dirt
Maybe i shoukdve not doen the acid lastnighr. But the photot of the dog looks lie theres a puppy in its coat print or fur...look really good.....anyone else see what i see in his german Shepard photo...super cool...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I use FFOF because it's hot without being too hot. It comes pH buffered and is usually at or real close to the soil sweet spot pH of 6.5. I wouldn't "alter" any component. It simply needs better aeration and drainage than you get straight out of the bag. I add course perlite to the mix. Is there better out there? Probably/maybe/I don't know ... what I do know is I like my results with FFOF.

I've used other potting soils. Usually I find gnats and other undesirables in those mixes ... Even Miracle Gro potting soil has it's share of bugs. I've yet to have that issue with FFOF.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
The image of Quixote, my GSD, is done with illustrator, he's a funny fellow! Tongue too long, and really huge!

He's my service doggy, he's trained in mobility assist and medical detection (sniffs out cancer and diabetes and things), but mostly he's just a goofy smarty pants dog! He is pretty upset that he can't go see the plants with me, hes constantly with me.

He does like the smells from the ff soil better than my walmart soil. If that counts. He can be easily trained to sniff out bad pests in the soil, I've toyed with the idea. He can sniff aphids, but with each bug, I have to train and there are too many! Anything that has a scent, even one humans aren't aware of, he can be taught to sniff and react. He even knows to call 911...

Sorry op, it's my dog... Shouldn't have jumped off topic so far though.

I'm a girl, btw. Not that it matters, but a granny. I'm starting this at an older age than some.

Oh, and the image looks different because it's an illustration not a photo.

Thanks for looking at Quixote, he is my bbf.

Last edited:
Bbog47

Bbog47

The image of Quixote, my GSD, is done with illustrator, he's a funny fellow! Tongue too long, and really huge!

He's my service doggy, he's trained in mobility assist and medical detection (sniffs out cancer and diabetes and things), but mostly he's just a goofy smarty pants dog! He is pretty upset that he can't go see the plants with me, hes constantly with me.

He does like the smells from the ff soil better than my walmart soil. If that counts. He can be easily trained to sniff out bad pests in the soil, I've toyed with the idea. He can sniff aphids, but with each bug, I have to train and there are too many! Anything that has a scent, even one humans aren't aware of, he can be taught to sniff and react. He even knows to call 911...

Sorry op, it's my dog... Shouldn't have jumped off topic so far though.

I'm a girl, btw. Not that it matters, but a granny. I'm starting this at an older age than some.

Oh, and the image looks different because it's an illustration not a photo.

Thanks for looking at Quixote, he is my bbf.
No worries this thread sucks anyway. Cool dog though, that’s a great idea teaching it to smell out pests. Keep up the growing!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
I taught him to "recycle". We sat around the fire and watched sports (nascar is a sport, right?) And taught him to take empty beer cans to the bin, get a new beer and bring it. Worked great till I caught him knocking beer cans over just so he could do it again!

I'm keeping him out of the plant area, he is not pleased by that! I heard he might be bad for the plants.

Bbog47

Bbog47

The quality control on ffof is not there a lot of growers I talk to have had issues with super low ph as well as the stuff being super hot. Buddies at the hydro store have the same thing to say about it. Why buy a mix that you have to essentially fix half the time. People replying here are salt nute junkies anyway... running chem in organic soil never made sense to me go with coco at that point

Bbog47

Bbog47

NASCAR is definitely a cool sport 👍 it’s a mans dream to have a dog that grabs a beer for you let alone one that knows how to recycle.

Planewreck

Planewreck

A Nobody.
Supporter
Odd.Hard to find it in stock at any of the hydro stores here its always sold out.They all highly recommend it.Everyone that i know that uses it loves it.Its b.s. that its to hot for seedlings been using it for years without a hitch.

Bbog47

Bbog47

Odd.Hard to find it in stock at any of the hydro stores here its always sold out.They all highly recommend it.Everyone that i know that uses it loves it.Its b.s. that its to hot for seedlings been using it for years without a hitch.
I’ve also used ffof when I started out every noob grower buys it think it’s the best. If works for you good. It’s just mediocre and has poor quality control for being hyped as it is. A ton of people have problems with it not bs. Have you ever tried any other brands.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Anecdotal evidence is not the best way to analyze soil. If you get some that is not qc'd enough, and you, or those guys you are talking about it to could take it and get it analyzed (free here at the farm bureau) then let ppl know what is in it or missing from it that makes it so horrible. That would help the actual loop. They make soil, you evaluate, give feedback, they do the changes or justify not doing it. Then products improve. But the sales ppl just saying it doesn't make anything good happen, and always makes me think they are paid to push another brand

Planewreck

Planewreck

A Nobody.
Supporter
Not everyone that is using ocean forrest is a noob bro.

Bbog47

Bbog47

Anecdotal evidence is not the best way to analyze soil. If you get some that is not qc'd enough, and you, or those guys you are talking about it to could take it and get it analyzed (free here at the farm bureau) then let ppl know what is in it or missing from it that makes it so horrible. That would help the actual loop. They make soil, you evaluate, give feedback, they do the changes or justify not doing it. Then products improve. But the sales ppl just saying it doesn't make anything good happen, and always makes me think they are paid to push another brand
I’ve bought bags that are like 4.8 ph I don’t think you need a soil sample to tell you that’s not right. That’s personal experience not anecdotal.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
This noob has not tried others, I am just almost at 3 weeks trying this for the first time. So buying it, yes most noobs do because of the readily available info out there, and me? I'm using it because I made a list of questions, called them and 3 others, and I got a very informed person at ff who gave me answers, and not one of them was anecdotal. They even referred me to several independent studies on the soil, actual scientific, peer review stuff with numbers and everything... Now, I don't understand it all, but I'm working my way through it and gaining understanding. But to just declare these things seems like just a thing, a personal thing. And just because noobs use it, the "and thinks it the best" part is just a bit uninformed. If you have only used one, then of course it is the best... Like the "why is everything in the last place you look”... You stop looking when found.

If one is starting out and there are 5,942 things to get right and soil is one, so you get the one that has the most readily available info and support, and move on to the next thing, at the noob point, why revisit dirt when you still haven't gotten to water or air! So noobs use it, yes, but because of an unrequited love... No. It's because it works, and the other 5,941 things need to get figured out before revisiting what is working. So after several grows, I might switch products, develope love, or swap mediums entirely, but it will be after gaining knowledge of things, and not because some dudes at a store whine about it without proof while trying to sell me some other thing

Bbog47

Bbog47

This noob has not tried others, I am just almost at 3 weeks trying this for the first time. So buying it, yes most noobs do because of the readily available info out there, and me? I'm using it because I made a list of questions, called them and 3 others, and I got a very informed person at ff who gave me answers, and not one of them was anecdotal. They even referred me to several independent studies on the soil, actual scientific, peer review stuff with numbers and everything... Now, I don't understand it all, but I'm working my way through it and gaining understanding. But to just declare these things seems like just a thing, a personal thing. And just because noobs use it, the "and thinks it the best" part is just a bit uninformed. If you have only used one, then of course it is the best... Like the "why is everything in the last place you look”... You stop looking when found.

If one is starting out and there are 5,942 things to get right and soil is one, so you get the one that has the most readily available info and support, and move on to the next thing, at the noob point, why revisit dirt when you still haven't gotten to water or air! So noobs use it, yes, but because of an unrequited love... No. It's because it works, and the other 5,941 things need to get figured out before revisiting what is working. So after several grows, I might switch products, develope love, or swap mediums entirely, but it will be after gaining knowledge of things, and not because some dudes at a store whine about it without proof while trying to sell me some other thing
I understand where you’re coming from every brand is going to tell you they’re better and all the big companies have biased research to back up their claims on soil and nutes. Every brand has research saying they’re the best which conflicts. If fox farms was really that good here in Cali the legal growers would all be running their line up and soil.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I understand where you’re coming from every brand is going to tell you they’re better and all the big companies have biased research to back up their claims on soil and nutes. Every brand has research saying they’re the best which conflicts. If fox farms was really that good here in Cali the legal growers would all be running their line up and soil.
Michigan here ... where every household can have up to 12 plants. FFOF is a very hot commodity around here. I've not experienced the issues you are speaking of. I've used many soils including Happy Frog, and it's the best for me so far. I shop 2 local brick and mortar grow stores. FFOF is by far the most commonly used potting mix with soil growers in this area. It's also the most respected soil that doesn't cost a fortune.

I will say this ... with as large of a growing community as Michigan has ... if FFOF was all hype, we would hear about it rather quickly.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Yes, but not talking about sales points. I'm talking about reading stuff, it says you need x. I look, see if x is there, what quality, purity, source, results the x is, then compare to others. If different, I research why, is it good dif or bad dif. Then I buy. Then use, THEN repeat. After many many runs I might have the knowledge to say, yes ff needs xyz. Or has too much abc. But, with those other 5,942 things to get right, and the soil I picked works .. I just don't see it as so bad or expensive, not when I could have picked some other stuff and not had the resources available with ff.

I'm complaining of the lack of real data. And pointing out that you add to the no real data issue by all this. I can grasp that your preference is not ff, but that (I'm assuming) took you years and grows galore to deduce, and it could have been easier on the next guy if all that experience could be expressed in real data. Like the ph thing, if one bag is low, others right then why, what component in that one bag is "off" why wasn't it disbursed to all the bags in that lot, did you check all other variables, etc. Did you get the bags, check each prior to any outside influence that could effect it? I'd it 1 in 2 that are low, 1 in 10, 1 in 1000? What ratio is the difference, is it the same substance each time causing the ph difference... Just so many facts that could be shared instead of the personal put downs.

I'm sorry, but I saw the thread and thought I'd find some good info. Some numbers to note and research, anything that could inform my next buy. But I was disappointed and might be just pitching a fit, I do that some days

I was not referring to in house studies, I even said peer reviewed research...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom