whole plant drying then separating the branches

• Thread starter KidGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KidGrower

KidGrower

Im on day 5 of drying and one of my plants has a little hay/ grassy smell in the middle of the plant where buds are close together but the nugs dont smell like hay, im wondering if i separate the branches now would help it dry more evenly to get rid of that smell and doesn't make the buds smell like it either. or is there something i could use to spread the branches out more and keep it hanging whole. The stems are kinda dry but not snapping i would like to take it to 10 days but i dont know if that will happen.

mancorn

mancorn

Im on day 5 of drying and one of my plants has a little hay/ grassy smell in the middle of the plant where buds are close together but the nugs dont smell like hay, im wondering if i separate the branches now would help it dry more evenly to get rid of that smell and doesn't make the buds smell like it either. or is there something i could use to spread the branches out more and keep it hanging whole. The stems are kinda dry but not snapping i would like to take it to 10 days but i dont know if that will happen.
Depends on your temp & RU. If your temps are high I’d keep the plant intact to prolong the dry. If your RU are high separate the stems from the plant. At less than 10 days I’d imagine your temps are to high. The hay spell will dissipate (hopefully) during curing and I wouldn’t stress it at this point.

KidGrower

KidGrower

Depends on your temp & RU. If your temps are high I’d keep the plant intact to prolong the dry. If your RU are high separate the stems from the plant. At less than 10 days I’d imagine your temps are to high. The hay spell will dissipate (hopefully) during curing and I wouldn’t stress it at this point.
my temp is 60-66 its gets high in the morning when my heat turns on, rh is 47% and i had two fans oscalating but i just turned the bottom one off. im noticing the plant that has the hay smell the branches fell close together when they dried . I can add a humidifer to help raise rh if i have to but i just dont want the nugs to smell like hay if i leave it whole plant. I could even cut a couple branches off and leave some with the whole plant to open the middle up more. some top colas are dry but other than that the nugs are moist

mancorn

mancorn

my temp is 60-66 its gets high in the morning when my heat turns on, rh is 47% and i had two fans oscalating but i just turned the bottom one off. im noticing the plant that has the hay smell the branches fell close together when they dried . I can add a humidifer to help raise rh if i have to but i just dont want the nugs to smell like hay if i leave it whole plant. I could even cut a couple branches off and leave some with the whole plant to open the middle up more. some top colas are dry but other than that the nugs are moist
Your temp/RH should both be around 60. Obviously you want good air flow around your nugs, so do whatever it takes to give decent spacing. Cut, bend, tie, whatever. Don’t blow air directly on plant. Personally I don’t do full plant hangs as I don’t have a large enough room (like a barn 😀). If the plant dries too quick it’s hard to preserve the terps/flavor/smell. But it’s normally for the plant to have a hay/green smell while drying. It’s during the curing process that the nice aroma will develop. (The Grove Bags are waaaaaay easier then all the BS jar burping.)

KidGrower

KidGrower

Your temp/RH should both be around 60. Obviously you want good air flow around your nugs, so do whatever it takes to give decent spacing. Cut, bend, tie, whatever. Don’t blow air directly on plant. Personally I don’t do full plant hangs as I don’t have a large enough room (like a barn 😀). If the plant dries too quick it’s hard to preserve the terps/flavor/smell. But it’s normally for the plant to have a hay/green smell while drying. It’s during the curing process that the nice aroma will develop. (The Grove Bags are waaaaaay easier then all the BS jar burping.)
i removed 3 branches from the side that was kinda going into the plant to allow more psace between the buds, after i did that the smell has getton better i also turned my humidifier on to help with humidity. I wanted to let the plant dry first then i was going to bring the rh up to 55-60%

IMG 8278
IMG 8269
Newty

Newty

Thank you for mentioning Grove Bags!!! I've never heard of them before and I'm going to order some right now! I was using Mason Jars with Boveda packs because of the lower cost. The Boveda 1/2 ounce bag is $8.99 usd for just 1 bag, Groove Bags 1/2 ounce is only 56 cents or 84 cents with a window!!!! That's even cheaper then the Boveda packs, then add the expense of jars.

mancorn

mancorn

Oh for sure you’re way too tight and can’t get the air flow in this tent and easily lead to rot and funky smell. If you HAVE to stay in the tent then remove the large fan leaves and/or cut the branches off the main stem. It’s really only useful to do a whole plant if you’re hot/dry and trying to prolong the process. (Back in the day tobacco was hung in large barns and then moved up and down vertically to keep it in the optimum zone. Same with cannabis. 50 years ago growers didn’t have heaters/ac, de/humidifies and so needed to keep the plant intact to control temp/RH. So prioritize the temp/RH over keeping a whole plant.)

Most of the time your lug room is controlling the temp/RH of your tent and you’ll be much better off outside the tent (if smell it’s a problem). Try to keep your RH at 60. If it drops too low the plant will dry too quick, lose your terps, and never get the primo smell/flavor. Once the terp is gone no amount of rehydration will bring them back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom