Who's Growing Tlo Style (the Rev)?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

@goingtoguano wow, those are artistic. Some big fat colas. Ok, you've inspired me to throw up some photos too. Mine aren't nearly as pretty, with some of the topping and bending I had to do.

I'm at day 41. All is going very well. The plant in the back left is finally running out of nitrogen (yellowing a little), but not surprising considering it's older and was topped many times.

-> Left two plants: Darkling Sativa
-> Right two plants: Coma Cluster (Indica)

I'm seeing some minor tip burning of leaves, but nothing that really concerns me. All is well. Oh! I did decide to do a finishing tea & a Flower blend top dress around Day 28. Ever since the tea & top dress, the plants have gotten much stinkier!

(Macro photos are Coma Cluster first, then Darkling Sativa.)

IMG 3219
IMG 3221
IMG 3242
IMG 3246
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Thanks @Perception,
Your plants are kicking some ass. You got some frosty colas and secondaries going on. They are looking really good.
They are going to fatten up nice in the next few weeks.
I have some burnt tips too but at this stage, I feel like the leaves are just being stripped of everything and I don’t give it much concern.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Thanks @Perception,
Your plants are kicking some ass. You got some frosty colas and secondaries going on. They are looking really good.
They are going to fatten up nice in the next few weeks.
I have some burnt tips too but at this stage, I feel like the leaves are just being stripped of everything and I don’t give it much concern.

Yeah, I was just thinking when I read that @Perception is at day 41,”Those colas are gonna swelllllllll....”

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

So when I check them this morning, the Hemmy Black that is looking most done is looking really done and I am thinking I should harvest any day but I took a picture as close up as I could get and now I am thinking it's still a week out. It is only day 54 (it's supposed to go 70). The trichomes are clear and cloudy with very few amber.
Opinions? I'm the type that would rather have a little couch-lock verses paranoia.

Screen Shot 1
Screen Shot 2
Perception

Perception

So when I check them this morning, the Hemmy Black that is looking most done is looking really done and I am thinking I should harvest any day but I took a picture as close up as I could get and now I am thinking it's still a week out. It is only day 54 (it's supposed to go 70). The trichomes are clear and cloudy with very few amber.
Opinions? I'm the type that would rather have a little couch-lock verses paranoia.

This is not my specialty at all, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But i think you have another few days to a week. Especially if that first photo is from the top cola, and secondary buds aren’t as far along.

But you are close. trichome heads nice and swole, and getting milky. But i don’t see many ambers yet.

I’d love to hear others’ opinions as well.

Minitiger

Minitiger

I have a loupe, but I never use it. I usually judge by pistils and just by my overall “feel” of when to chop. I also usually take the breeder’s recommendation with a grain of salt and figure it’s gonna take at least a few days longer (if not a week or two, depending on the hybrid) than what they state. I feel like breeders usually shorten the recommended flower time, simply because most people don’t want to invest in an eleven plus week strain. Gotta sell those seeds! Also, a lot of breeders judge their flowering times based on how clones do, not seed plants. Clones almost always take a week less to flower than seed plants, so..... Just something else to keep in mind.

The Black Hemmy is what? Cherry Hemingway crossed with Vietnam Black? I’m not familiar with the flowering time of the Cherry Hemingway, but I know that that Vietnam Black takes like 14/16 weeks, doesn’t it? Also, these are f1’s, aren’t they? There’s probably pretty decent variation in flowering times in that hybrid, depending on if the pheno you have leans more towards either the Hemmingway or the Black.

I agree with @Perception I’m not seeing any amber there at all. Although I do see a pretty decent amount of clear trichomes. If you’re not a fan of speedy highs, I’d wait a little bit.

Nice pics, btw. I really gotta figure out how to get good closeups like that with my camera.

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

@Minitiger, Good guess, I am quite impressed. Hemmy Black is Cherry Hemingway (male) X KOS Darkling Sativa (Vietnam Black X Cherry Bomb). <-- @Perception is growing this.

So yeah, this plant has been on the fast-track ever since I flipped. It was the most impressive for a while ( the others have since more than caught up) and then it had an early fade of some lower leaves around week 4 which, had me concerned for a bit but, it just seems like it's early. The pistils have gone red, the calyxes have swollen big, the leaves are retreating, I think there is some fox-tailing at the top (not sure I know), if it wasn't for the better look at the trichomes, it has all the look of I'm ready. I have no problem waiting though. In fact, I would feel better if it was closer to the target date anyway.
None of the other plants show maturity anywhere near as close. Most still have mostly-white pistils. I wouldn't doubt it if they take longer than the recommendation like you said.

What I do for close-up shots is take the closest-up shot you can with your camera and then digitally zooming in that on the computer. My eyes arent good enough for loupes ect. I need to blow it up big lol.
This photo was done one my wifes dslr but I think I actually like my iphone camera better because its just easier.
I was under the gun trying to get a photo- the lights came on seconds after and then its all blurple.

Minitiger

Minitiger

@Minitiger, Good guess, I am quite impressed. Hemmy Black is Cherry Hemingway (male) X KOS Darkling Sativa (Vietnam Black X Cherry Bomb). <-- @Perception is growing this.

So yeah, this plant has been on the fast-track ever since I flipped. It was the most impressive for a while ( the others have since more than caught up) and then it had an early fade of some lower leaves around week 4 which, had me concerned for a bit but, it just seems like it's early. The pistils have gone red, the calyxes have swollen big, the leaves are retreating, I think there is some fox-tailing at the top (not sure I know), if it wasn't for the better look at the trichomes, it has all the look of I'm ready. I have no problem waiting though. In fact, I would feel better if it was closer to the target date anyway.
None of the other plants show maturity anywhere near as close. Most still have mostly-white pistils. I wouldn't doubt it if they take longer than the recommendation like you said.

What I do for close-up shots is take the closest-up shot you can with your camera and then digitally zooming in that on the computer. My eyes arent good enough for loupes ect. I need to blow it up big lol.
This photo was done one my wifes dslr but I think I actually like my iphone camera better because its just easier.
I was under the gun trying to get a photo- the lights came on seconds after and then its all blurple.

Thanks for that photog tip. I’ll try it out sometime. Got to admit, though, I don’t know shit about computers, but I’m sure my girl can show me how to do that.

One thing to keep in mind, buds can keep ripening once the plant’s been chopped and hanging. So if you chop with like, say, 10 percent amber, 10 percent clear and 80 percent cloudy, you could end up with 15 percent amber and 85 percent cloudy, zero clear. Or whatever. You get the idea. Like I said, I never use my loupe (like you, I have shitty eyesight and no glasses)(although now that I think about it, my girl’s prescription is almost exactly the same as mine, don’t know why I never thought to use her glasses), so I’ve never done a little “pre-chop/post-chop” comparison. But I do know that that’s something that can happen. Just something you might want to consider....

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Week 8+ update:

I just switched back to MH (+led) for the last few weeks. The plants and buds have stopped growing and seemed like they were really baking under the hps. I have no room to go higher. Some people seem to think going MH the last couple weeks helps too but, that is debatable. "Why not" is what I figured. Less heat and intensity- a more bluish color to simulate fall?

I'll give that Hemmy a look in a few days.
IMG 1179

Last edited:
Perception

Perception

Day 60 of flower.

Gettin there. I think these will be harvested in the next 5-14 days, depending on the plant.

They’ve started to yellow quite a bit as they fade toward harvest. Personally, i like a little less yellow at harvest so will feed a little more nitrogen in early flower next time, via an extra tea and/or top dress. But all is looking good!

36AB0464 D739 4034 93D0 40CDF0AB04F6
A4570E26 5352 4A7C BAF8 247303B6E101
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Wow @Perception, Looking great! Big buds and I love the colors. Good job!

I started to take mine down recently as I am on day 70. I still have mostly white pistils on the tops of the biggest colas but everything else looks done. I started chopping the Hemmy Blacks and am leaving the lower half (as well as the seeded branches) to mature a little longer before complete chop.
I forgot how much of a chore trimming is. ugh.

Perception

Perception

I started chopping the Hemmy Blacks and am leaving the lower half (as well as the seeded branches) to mature a little longer before complete chop.
I forgot how much of a chore trimming is. ugh.

I "should" do this: chop the top and give lowers a little more time. Although I'm experimenting with how I harvest, and plan to move the plants to my garage at about 65deg F for 48 hours in pitch black dark. Then chop and hang. We'll see though! Kind of depends on how far along my secondary buds get.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Day 60 of flower.

Gettin there. I think these will be harvested in the next 5-14 days, depending on the plant.

They’ve started to yellow quite a bit as they fade toward harvest. Personally, i like a little less yellow at harvest so will feed a little more nitrogen in early flower next time, via an extra tea and/or top dress. But all is looking good!

Looks good. Whatever plant that is in the first picture looks like it has a while to go yet, though. That’s a lot of white pistils.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Haha, I love how when harvest time rolls around, everybody just kinda disappeeeeeeearrrrrssssss..... How’d everything turn out, @Perception and @goingtoguano ?

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Hey Minitiger

Lol, I'm still checking in.. I just don't have anything going on (and I am baked:)) . My grow is completely torn down as I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and lots of people in&out. It is legal here but still- I don't like it.

That last grow turn out great except the yield was down which I expected with not topping.
I really like all three of the strains I had going. I could try to describe them but I really haven't put in the time to think about them and, they are still real new. I have barely smoked any but when I do, its seems like real good weed that gets me baked. lol
The Black Poison Skunk and the Dark Dragon were both very dense (especially the DD). The Hemmy black had smaller, lighter buds but, there were lots of them making the HB yield as much as the BPS. Trimming the HB was a nightmare -so many little leaves. The biggest problem with the Dark Dragon was that I only had one of her.

The branches that I pollinated turned out awesome. So many seeds. Way more than I expected. If the Zombie apocalypses happens, I'll be all set.

Here is a picture of the biggest bud after 5 days drying 40%rh (Black Poison Skunk). The immediate shrinkage is amazing. I cut it into smaller pieces right after.
IMG 1213

Minitiger

Minitiger

Hey Minitiger

Lol, I'm still checking in.. I just don't have anything going on (and I am baked:)) . My grow is completely torn down as I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and lots of people in&out. It is legal here but still- I don't like it.

That last grow turn out great except the yield was down which I expected with not topping.
I really like all three of the strains I had going. I could try to describe them but I really haven't put in the time to think about them and, they are still real new. I have barely smoked any but when I do, its seems like real good weed that gets me baked. lol
The Black Poison Skunk and the Dark Dragon were both very dense (especially the DD). The Hemmy black had smaller, lighter buds but, there were lots of them making the HB yield as much as the BPS. Trimming the HB was a nightmare -so many little leaves. The biggest problem with the Dark Dragon was that I only had one of her.

The branches that I pollinated turned out awesome. So many seeds. Way more than I expected. If the Zombie apocalypses happens, I'll be all set.

Here is a picture of the biggest bud after 5 days drying 40%rh (Black Poison Skunk). The immediate shrinkage is amazing. I cut it into smaller pieces right after.
View attachment 793189

Nice! Gotta love those kitchen remodels haha. And the best thing about not topping? You get those big, fat main colas that remind me of old High Times pictures. Nice pic! I always say I’m not gonna top, just so I can get a bunch of those big ol’ colas. But then I top.

So everything turned out well then? That’s good. They’ve been curing for how long now? Three weeks? If you ever feel the inclination, I’d love a slightly detailed smoke report, if for no other reason than there just really aren’t any smoke reports of The Rev’s gear online (or I can’t find them, anyway). That one El Jefe Thai I grew last run was so weird. I always let everything cure for about a month before I start sampling them, and I HATED the Jefe Thai after a month’s cure. It made me really irritable and kind of aggressive and it wasn’t nearly as strong as everything else I grew. I smoked a few joints of it and just kinda wrote it off and forgot about it. Six months later I was like,”I should check out that El Jefe again....” Seriously, those jars had just been sitting in a dark closet for months. Smoked some. Loved it. Seemed like it just needed a ridiculously long cure. It still doesn’t taste as good as it smells and the smoke is a little hot, but the high has definitely mellowed and turned into a really pleasant, happy stone.

Anyway, yeah, nice pic. I forget, did you have an actual grow log somewhere? Or were you just posting intermittently on this thread?

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I just posted here.

I’ll try to do a good job and provide a smoke report. It’ll take some abnormal effort on my part to actually think about it (maybe take some notes) but I’ll try.

Top Bottom