Who's idea were the big screened vents in Grow tents??

• Thread starter GrnMtnGrowR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I really can't understand why these rectangular vents were built into every grow tent I have seen, it doesn't make any sense to me. They are nothing but potential light leaks and even if you cover them with the velcro stuck covers there is still potential for light to leak because I covered mine as well as I could and could still see light through the velcro. Yes, slight negative pressure is good and I know if you are exhausting your air in your tent with a big fan then you need good air intake, but I have always found that you can either put 6" flexible duct in some of the skirted holes, as many as needed, or you can add a fan that blows in just a little less CFM than the fan pulling the air out.
Working hard to keep from having lights leaks is a big pain, so why create light leaks by adding those stupid rectangular vents? It's a totally foolish idea in my opinion, but maybe someone has an idea why those vents are in all tents.
P.S.
Even Gorilla brand duct tape does not like to stick to the surface of most of these tents, not does aluminum HVAC tape. Yes, I was taping my vents shut light tight!
Never owned or used one but I enjoyed the discussion. Last I grew indoors I used an 8' sliding door closet. Served my needs well and back then there were no such things as there are today. There was light leak from the room but still managed to make some buds.

I've been very fortunate with the places I've lived for growing outdoors. No external lights other than those from the sky or that I controlled. We have no streetlights here, private street but it cost all dozen of us $2500 last year to have it repaved so there's good and bad.

If, big if! I were ever going to grow indoors again I'd just build one.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't think I was venting, sorry that I sounded like that to you, just researching an idea.... I was just asking a question or questions. What the hell is this forum for if not questions?
relax, all is well. You did nothing wrong. I was just voicing that it was a subject currently we have no control over. I have to remember some forum members are more thin skinned than others. Didn't mean to offend if I did. :)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Perhaps you should give "Ace9137" a similar post about venting.....that boy needs therapy!
Not gonna lie this gave me a good chuckle. Dude is ok though he keeps things interesting and on your toes. Always manages to bait me in... Not that it's to hard to do but he is good at it.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Just enjoying a sunny mornin in the woods on my mountain bike. Nice to see ya.
Wish I was in the woods today. Always feel so much better and grounded after 2-3 days in the high country. Momma and I are heading to the Mogollan Rim next weekend. Get out of the 105-108 crap. Frikking wilting down here. The Monsoon Season seems to have forgotten AZ this season. Dry and brutally hot!!!!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
what part of az you in @az2000 ???

Indiva710

Indiva710

So I just got this new tent by green cube it is made in the UK the quick qube is the version I have which it uses a gazebo aluminum frame as well the tent also has a few other things that they changed like they put a vent sock level with the floor which is perfect for people who use hydroponics like myself... They also have a white version coming out soon too for this model..pinelab tents is probably thee most advanced tent made right now they are hella legit and does lots of new things that really improves tents...however the UK is a lot more ahead of tent building than the USA is except for pine lab is thee only exception and they have 2 tents a 4x4 and a 8x4 at this time...

az2000

az2000

the UK is a lot more ahead of tent building than the USA

I like that light baffle on the outside of the tent's vent. That's what I try to do with a piece of cardboard painted black. I lean it against the tent, around the base, making a darkened tunnel. Something attached right at the vent would be less clumsy.

It wouldn't be hard for those of us unfortunate enough to live in third-world tent nations (like the US) to add that sort of thing to their tents. Use "Shoe Goo" (glue) to affix velcro above and below the vent. Then make a piece of canvas that would hinge like shown in your photo, with velcro on its top and bottom. That hinge thing would have to be two pieces of canvas sewn together with a foam/baffling stiffener between the layers (to make it fairly rigid, so it won't suck against the vent mesh).

If the shoe goo didn't hold, then use a "Speedy Stitcher" sewing awl to tack it to the tent, reinforcing the glue. They make adhesive-backed velcro. But, I think the shoe glue would hold better. If it had to be tacked with stitching, I'd put a dab of it on those tacks to stop pin-hole light leaks. (There are inexpensive awls on e-bay.).

Indiva710

Indiva710

There's lots of stuff that the usa could do for improving there tents that they just refuse to do..Which is why I bought a tent from the UK and the thing is it took 4 days to get here only....
Yup it is pathetic how easily they could change things and yet they just don't do so no matter how many people complain and yet the few uk companies I spoke with are more than willing to hear new ideas and issues etc to improve it and make it better for us the customer....

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

There's lots of stuff that the usa could do for improving there tents that they just refuse to do..Which is why I bought a tent from the UK and the thing is it took 4 days to get here only....
Yup it is pathetic how easily they could change things and yet they just don't do so no matter how many people complain and yet the few uk companies I spoke with are more than willing to hear new ideas and issues etc to improve it and make it better for us the customer....
But unfortunately, I don't think you will find a tent made in the USA, we have to get Chinese made tents, that's all I can find. I'm not even convinced that Gorilla Tents are US made. I emailed them to ask and never got a reply.

Indiva710

Indiva710

Unfortunately you are correct on that about usa not making a tent here in the States actually agreed which is bs...I looked at the pinelab and it doesn't say other than designed by ppl in Cali and Australia so its probably made in China...As even my quick qube is made in in China too actually..I just don't understand what's so hard for a company to actually build them here in house...Use canvas outer skins and something like orca film for the inside..Honestly I was considering on building my own since I did sew automotive interiors for many years and even beds too so have plenty of experience with a sewing machine I should just start the 1st USA made tent company here and it be designed and made in the USA actually...hmmmmm.....

Goatbudsusa

Goatbudsusa

I can't understand how this didn't draw more conversation. I want to hear if people have found these vents to be helpful without creating light leaks because I sure haven't. The duct tape idea of sealing them up is exactly what I did, but it wasn't easy to get even Gorilla duct tape to stick to the inside mylar in my Vivosun tent and on the outside ....forget it, no tape I can find will stick to that black fabric, must be coated with something.
I would like to know who gave the Chinese the idea to put all those rectangular vents in the bottom of the tents to start with. More double socked holes 4", 6" and perhaps 8" depending on tent size, are all anyone would need and removes the chances of light leaking in and get required ventilation.
Who is using those meshed vents in the bottom of their tents? How do you use them and not have light come in during the dark hours? My tents are in a basement with the windows covered over, but if I need to go down there then I have to turn on basement lights.
Maybe I worry too much about light leaks, but even with no light leaks I still have occasional hermaphrodites usually from the feminized seeds, which is another subject for another thread.
My goal....to get these tent manufacturers to eliminate the inspection windows and meshed vents in grow tents!

I bought some velcro and cut a t-shirt in the shape of the vent folded it twice and added the sticky velcro and covered the vent, this way I get air flow to the pots to dry out and because its in my house carbondioxide. If I threw on a flash light im sure you can see in but otherwise no light.

1OneMarty

1OneMarty

So do you use the vents? That's what I am trying to find out...does anyone find any need for them? Do you remove velcro cover over inspection window every time you want to look in on them or do you just unzip the door?
I agree with you totally. I have two different tents and was wondering the same thing you were, what's the purpose. I sealed mine up in both my tents with a lot of black duct tape and never needed then. During the day when I want to look, or do maintenance I open the main zipper door. Go figure.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I think the question is whether being perfectly dark matters. I don't think it does. Or, it's a diminishing return.
Correct. Light does NOT cause hermies, bad genetics do. Too much light will cause re-vegging and might be a trigger to set off the genes that cause hermie.
And whoever originally said plants can't see green or reflected light is an idiot. Think about it for a minute. Why is the tent reflective inside?

Top Bottom