Why are grow tent insides reflective?

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Didn't it used to be said that white reflects the most light? When was the change?

Just curious.

If I was going to build a grow room, would it be better to have white walls or reflective?

growsince79

growsince79

Didn't it used to be said that white reflects the most light? When was the change?

Just curious.

If I was going to build a grow room, would it be better to have white walls or reflective?
Mylar looks really cool, but flat white paint is alot easier and works good.

Heywood

Heywood

Mylar looks really cool, but flat white paint is alot easier and works good.

I hear ya.

Lights2

S

snacks

I'm pretty sure most commercial white paints are 80-90% reflective, poly around 90%, and mylar above 90%. Whether or not that's the case with how crinkled and old my tent is, probably not lol.

Go with what suits your grow. I don't think the change from paint to mylar in either direction will be that noticeable to most small growers.

Ponky

Ponky

The poly keeps the sprays and mist from caking up on the walls and helps make it truly air tight. Plus if you have to commit something that rhymes with grime it's good to already have poly all over a room. It's a win win.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Mylar is also one the best thermal barrier insulants. Reflecting 90-97% heat and the diamond patterned mylar is meant to diffuse the reflected light vs focused.

So for thermal signatures, stealth, environmental control its hard to beat.

However, R type reflective sheets work really well and if you have extreme external environments it would hands down beat plain mylar.

Top Bottom