why are my babies always getting taller, but not wider?

• Thread starter MegaSuiter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Just seems like everyone else has small bushes when mine just shoot upwards.
Growing Afghani kush, recon, cheese, and orange bud. In the next week I will have my ebb and flow tables made. Got some Hella deals that made it possible :)

Why are my babies always getting taller but not wider
MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

One 250w metal halide. Hanging it vertically cause any light issues? So should I lower it? It is about twenty inches to the bottom of the plants right now. I thought that was kind of low.

P

paulycali

Are you sure it's a 250w? I can barely see any light coming down. Is it a old bulb or something? Put a temperature gauge at the top of your plant canopy. Lower the light and get it as close as you can without it getting to hot. They def need more light

squiggly

squiggly

Lower it and monitor leaf temperature (use an infared thermometer). When you up pot just prune the bottom and bury a good portion of the stem to shorten them up, the stem will sprout roots of its own after a few days.

You can either use leaf temperature as a fail safe or just watch your girls closely. They'll tell you if they want more light (like they are right now) or if they want less of it (they'll get droopy).

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Lower it and monitor leaf temperature (use an infared thermometer). When you up pot just prune the bottom and bury a good portion of the stem to shorten them up, the stem will sprout roots of its own after a few days.

You can either use leaf temperature as a fail safe or just watch your girls closely. They'll tell you if they want more light (like they are right now) or if they want less of it (they'll get droopy).
Hope this picture helps display things better. You guys and your thermometers! The ballast says 250w on it and it is a rather cheap bulb. Not buying another bulb when I got a 1000w I am building a splitter for to use two 600w's off of!

IMG 20130710 013603 866
MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Appreciate the input guys. Just seems like if I go any closer I will start to see some burn. Moving closer I guess for now.

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Found an old reflector for a hanging mh fixture. Nothing a little safety wire and creativeness can't do. This is the best I can do until like next week. Pretty proud haha

IMG 20130710 022028 189
homebrew420

homebrew420

top them. That will help with your height. More lateral branching will occur. Your plants have nice fairly tight internode spacing. Should help a lot.

peace

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I've always found growing in containers that are bigger in diameter will help plants spread and grow bushier rather than vertical. MGG

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
aim the light at the plants the reflector looks like its pointing outwards. like others have stated you need to bring the light closer if your getting stretch. make sure the room temp is ok and point a fan over the top of the plants so no heat pockets build up

F

FruitOfTheLabor

put the light closer .. put ur hand under the light.. wen ur hand gets hot.. and u cant take it.. put it a few inches above that and a fan on the plants.. and u should also top them if u want them to become wider.. or u could LST .. but its usually because the lights to far. n fans will strengthen stems ...

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Finally an update guys. I found out real quick you can't run two mh's off one ballast. What an experiment though. How's work. It took me most of the day to rig this and I have to build another tomorrow or sometime soon.

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Putting all twelve in one for now until I get the other one together. Drains well, filters well, a lot of aeriation now just need to catch some fish for my reservoir.

IMG 20130812 231936 356
symbiote420

symbiote420

IME flos seem to produce a wider, bushier plant than MHs .....I keep my 400w anywhere from 5" - 18" over my plants, just depends on the temps in there!

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Look what I managed to get done tonight....I could only imagine how much work will go into having 25+ plants. Also got a little northern pike in the reservoir with some perch. Should be right at home. Gonna document this whole thing in a journal.

IMG 20130815 012424 373
IMG 20130815 012306 468
Top Bottom