Why are my plants staying short and wide. Help

• Thread starter NorthenShark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

ucmenow hit it on the head. its the lighting in this case. throw some over head lighting (horizontal hoods) to encourage the stretch. vert bulbs are to be used below the canopy so the light emitted hits the sides of your plants, encouraging the bushy growth.

N

NorthenShark

Your issue is you're mis using your lamp. That's not a vert application, you're radiating all your light at the walls.

Aside from that if it were hanging horizontally as it should be that wouldn't be enough light for that system.

I am running my lights horizontal those verticals ur seeing are for extra light during flowering.
20140324 002544

N

NorthenShark

ucmenow hit it on the head. its the lighting in this case. throw some over head lighting (horizontal hoods) to encourage the stretch. vert bulbs are to be used below the canopy so the light emitted hits the sides of your plants, encouraging the bushy growth.

Im using over head lighting.

N

NorthenShark

I use my IPAD it lets me edit the photos by rotating them then saving....I ain't no genius ... Lol

Im using my phone to post and the pics are in the right position when I post them. And I am a genius lol

burn4me

burn4me

Those are some bushes bro. That'd be perfect for a cab grow and what not. Hope you bring it up to your standards. GL

O

OGwankanobe

Hey fellow farmers my question Is why are my plants staying short and seem to be getting wider I have lights above them but they don't seem to be going up they seem to be acting like grape vines

That is just the nature of the beast with vertical lighting. It makes them extra bushy and some strains react more than others. Turn off your verts for a little to help them stretch. Maybe next time veg with the horizontals only until you get the desired height and then turn on the verts.

Natural

Natural

I'm no UC guy brotha, but when I put plants in the bigger pots..they tend to go wide like that with some varietals. I clean up some of the lower horizontal growth and they shoot right up.

N

NorthenShark

That is just the nature of the beast with vertical lighting. It makes them extra bushy and some strains react more than others. Turn off your verts for a little to help them stretch. Maybe next time veg with the horizontals only until you get the desired height and then turn on the verts.

Thanks og

N

NorthenShark

I'm no UC guy brotha, but when I put plants in the bigger pots..they tend to go wide like that with some varietals. I clean up some of the lower horizontal growth and they shoot right up.

Thanks Natural ill try that.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I've had this happen to me once before with a few beds of purps strains. My belief was that I had topped too much too soon before flipping to 12/12. By removing that many auxins, the plant swapped to cytokinins and focused on lateral growth for the stretch instead. I have no idea if this is something that actually happens, but made enough sense to me. It also only seemed to happen to my Urkel and GDP plants. The whole canopy was only a few inches above the soil.
So I guess my questions would be:
Are you in 12/12?
If so, did you top the affected strains prior to flipping?
And again, if so, how far down the stem did you cut?
Is it only your grape ape strain doing this?

N

NorthenShark

I've had this happen to me once before with a few beds of purps strains. My belief was that I had topped too much too soon before flipping to 12/12. By removing that many auxins, the plant swapped to cytokinins and focused on lateral growth for the stretch instead. I have no idea if this is something that actually happens, but made enough sense to me. It also only seemed to happen to my Urkel and GDP plants. The whole canopy was only a few inches above the soil.
So I guess my questions would be:
Are you in 12/12?
If so, did you top the affected strains prior to flipping?
And again, if so, how far down the stem did you cut?
Is it only your grape ape strain doing this?

What's up guerrilla thanks for chiming in. And no I'm not in flowering yet I'm still in veg. I've been veging for about a month now And I have not topped them that's all natural. And ya it's only my ape that's staying short my other strain is about 3ft tall. And I think I'm going to have to pull those out because there roots almost fill up the buckets.

Alice D

Alice D

What's up guerrilla thanks for chiming in. And no I'm not in flowering yet I'm still in veg. I've been veging for about a month now And I have not topped them that's all natural. And ya it's only my ape that's staying short my other strain is about 3ft tall. And I think I'm going to have to pull those out because there roots almost fill up the buckets.
You can prune your roots but don't cut off more than 25% and make sure everything is sterile when cutting,you don't want infection. Grape is a slow growing indica and IME the UC grows much shorter bushier plants.

N

NorthenShark

You can prune your roots but don't cut off more than 25% and make sure everything is sterile when cutting,you don't want infection. Grape is a slow growing indica and IME the UC grows much shorter bushier plants.

Thanks for the input Alice maybe I'll try pruning the roots. The last purp I grew in the UC did fine but this is a different purp so idk. Im thinking of just throwing them in to flower and cutting my losses.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I've run some strains in the undercurrent that were great in soil, but not so great in the undercurrent. I like leggy sativa-like strains with weak stems for the undercurrent. Sometimes you get a strain in that just wants to grow bushy and grow a big stem and fill the bucket with roots. I have found some things that will get them to stretch up more though:
Getting your temps up as long as the solution is cool
More nitrogen
More humidity
Cutting away some of that bottom growth
Less lighting

All these apply in veg, hopefully it will help you out.
I only like to run one strain at a time in the system too.
I've grown grape ape in soil before and it probably would'nt be a choice of mine for the undercurrent.
It's a fantastic high though, super mellow

Latest posts

Top Bottom