Why are my roots so small?

• Thread starter augdawg507
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
augdawg507

augdawg507

Hey guys. New grower here. So, yesterday I moved my 6 week old plant to a new pot. When doing so, I realized my plant’s root system is TINY. Like hasn’t grown at all since it was 2 weeks old. The plant has grown, but is only probably 10-12 inches tall at 6 weeks. Obviously way too small. It has pre flowers and is still growing, but I’m pretty certain its not getting much bigger. My question is what do you think caused this? I started these in burlap jiffy pots, removed all the excess burlap I could, and transplanted them. Did I damage the roots while trying to do this? I started them in miracle grow without knowing that was bad. Could that have stunted the growth? They were under some Home Depot cheapo grow lights till about week 3. Did that stunt them? I think this plant is gonna yield, but I’m doubting it’ll be more than an 8th of flower. How can I improve root growth going forward so my plants grow to proper size? Any further questions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Why are my roots so small
P

Paradiced

That plant does not look stunted to me. Generally a damaged root system will reveal itself with undersized leaves and stupid tight internode spacing which I do not see here. Lighting and temp can play a factor. Why not get yourself a nice spider farmer LED? They will have the size to fit your grow and your budget.

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
Oh man first post, bit nervous but...when the plant is healthy like that and turgidity is good(stiff upward stems/leaves) and you dont have large roots, it means the plant is getting everything it needs right there. It doesn't need to send out feeders to go and find nutes.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Oh man first post, bit nervous but...when the plant is healthy like that and turgidity is good(stiff upward stems/leaves) and you dont have large roots, it means the plant is getting everything it needs right there. It doesn't need to send out feeders to go and find nutes.
Roots also hold it in firmly in place, search for food, absorb and transport and sometimes will also just store food

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

What up Mudballs. Assuming this is the same guy from RIU? Same avatar and everything. Looks like you got the shadow ban hammer as well? lol

That soil needs a lot of work - I don't see any aeration or anything. And it definitely looks dry as the dessert. Get your medium, nutrients, environment, watering in check and everything will come around.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Also if you are on 24 hours of light (which I'm assuming you are because of your day/night temps not being much diff) you might want to go to 18/6 to give your roots a better chance to develop a bit more in this case.

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
What up Mudballs. Assuming this is the same guy from RIU? Same avatar and everything. Looks like you got the shadow ban hammer as well? lol

That soil needs a lot of work - I don't see any aeration or anything. And it definitely looks dry as the dessert. Get your medium, nutrients, environment, watering in check and everything will come around.
Yeah it's me, but i wasnt shadow banned, nothing like that. I'd rather not relive the moment but if you know me well, you know it was pretty bad.lol.

Last edited:
augdawg507

augdawg507

That plant does not look stunted to me. Generally a damaged root system will reveal itself with undersized leaves and stupid tight internode spacing which I do not see here. Lighting and temp can play a factor. Why not get yourself a nice spider farmer LED? They will have the size to fit your grow and your budget.
Just can’t afford more lights right now. Have a single 2x2 vivosun VS1000 now

augdawg507

augdawg507

Also if you are on 24 hours of light (which I'm assuming you are because of your day/night temps not being much diff) you might want to go to 18/6 to give your roots a better chance to develop a bit more in this case.
No I’m running 18/6. I try to keep the daytime temps as close to 77 as possible and the night time temps at 68/69. Issue is I gotta grow them in a non temp controlled barn so there’s quite a bit of fluctuation. If i get it in the generally correct temp range I try not to mess with it too much cause if I mess up the intake room (just a bigger plastic greenhouse it’s in) and it gets hot during the day/ cold at night you can end up with temps in the high 80s or low 60s. I’m basically doing an outdoor grow inside lmao

augdawg507

augdawg507

Yeah I discovered the roots were so small while changing the soil. I used straight up peat moss with drainage rocks at the bottom. The top would dry out nearly instantly, while the interior stayed water logged. I moved it to a 2/4ths ocean forest, 1/4th perlite, and 1/4 peat moss, thoroughly mixed and aerated. The plant was actually praying when I came in the next morning after the transplant. I think it liked it. Now I’ve got a totally separate issue where I think I over fed it, but I think it was simultaneously drowning and not getting enough water in the right places. Hopefully growth will improve in this new medium.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

No I’m running 18/6. I try to keep the daytime temps as close to 77 as possible and the night time temps at 68/69. Issue is I gotta grow them in a non temp controlled barn so there’s quite a bit of fluctuation. If i get it in the generally correct temp range I try not to mess with it too much cause if I mess up the intake room (just a bigger plastic greenhouse it’s in) and it gets hot during the day/ cold at night you can end up with temps in the high 80s or low 60s. I’m basically doing an outdoor grow inside lmao
I put my temp in the 80's,they like it warm,and 60s isn't a problem at night,it hardens them .

augdawg507

augdawg507

I put my temp in the 80's,they like it warm,and 60s isn't a problem at night,it hardens them .
Yeah I’ve got a lot of purple in the stems from the changes In temps from night to day. Like it was 82 when I checked this morning, and was 67 when I checked the night temp yesterday. I hope when the buds come (if they do) they take in some of that purple too. I was gonna do some LST but the stalk is so stiff already I don’t wanna snap anything. So I figure you’re right.

augdawg507

augdawg507

Cool! I thought u were still on the Home depot grow bulbs which would run really hot lol! You'll grow respectable buds w the vivosun👍
Hahahah just to keep the tiny seedlings lit and warm when they first pop. This lil (hopefully girl) was born just today. Hope 4/20 grants her good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom