Why are my stalks growing sideways?

• Thread starter Charlie1387
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Charlie1387

Charlie1387

Hey, back again. Has anyone else had issues with seedlings/young plants growing strange bending stalks? I don’t really know how to explain it. But once they sprouted out of the soil they almost look like they took a 90 degree turn, went back in the other direction, and then started growing up straight. Is this going to effect the sturdiness of the plant since it’s at the very base? 4 out of 6 have done it and are now growing straight, but are these even worth growing now? Should I just support them with stakes? Lmk if anyone has had this problem and if they know what causes it.
oh they’re 3 1/2 weeks old and are Girl Scout extremes and gorilla glues. All autos. Fox farm soil, 2 1K LEDs. PH and everything else is good so far.

Why are my stalks growing sideways
Why are my stalks growing sideways 2
Why are my stalks growing sideways 3
Charlie1387

Charlie1387

Don't worry about it. You want a short gnarly stalk. No need to act.
Good to know. I always keep my plants short. I’ve just never had a grow where the stalks almost loop over each other. I’m more curious about what causes it. Too much light intensity? Are they shying away from the light? Lol

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Good to know. I always keep my plants short. I’ve just never had a grow where the stalks almost loop over each other. I’m more curious about what causes it. Too much light intensity? Are they shying away from the light? Lol
Most likely happened when the seed sprouted. As long as your plant goes through proper wet/dry water cycles that twist won't cause you any issues.

Ponky

Ponky

When it happens to me it's because I've had my seedling get leggy and fall over a bit.

Charlie1387

Charlie1387

When it happens to me it's because I've had my seedling get leggy and fall over a bit.
I can definitely see that happening. But none of them got very stretched out. I keep all my plants short. I think the first pic I posted you can see how close the nodes are. Which probably is part lights being too close and genetics. But I haven’t really ventured out with too many different strains yet, but the ones I do grow have stayed relatively short the whole time

B

Beezi

This is happening to me as well. I think this time I didn’t put the sprouts very deep in the medium and maybe that caused it. My only other thought was that these were free seeds and maybe the genetics were bad?

Happyreefing

Happyreefing

Does it possibly have anything to do with the direction of the tap root maybe it was placed upside down and had to re-curl over the top of itself to direct down into the soil and then shoot a stem up?

Latest posts

Top Bottom