• Tagged users None
H

Hugo

Ok,
I am an experienced grower,
But, out of growing for 3 years, not by choice,
But,
Back at it again.

Ok, so when I grew my plants, I did everything in my power to avoid leggy or stretched out plants.

I mainly kept my night time temps(or attempted to) at a few degrees warmer than my daytime(lights on) temp. Negative differential.

I strived to veg out my plants this way, keeping the nodes as tight as possible....aiming for long tight nodded colas during veg and flower.

I see people here with nodes 2-5 inches apart. That would set me in a panic.

Not sure if I'm outta the loop now cause of my time off or if things have changes, but,

Isn't compact tight nodes while vegging out a plant the goal? Or is it not needed when growing out 4 foot bushes wide bushes with horizontal lighting?

My methods were used when I would work with higher plant numbers(10plants/1000w)...

But,
Now I will be working with one plant per 1000w.

Please explain the theory of why people look for a nice stretch.

I need to learn why this is done.

I cut short 3-4 inch clones, and strive to have the plant not as long and lanky to not waste a plants energy to shuttle nutrients such a far distance.

In general, I like to super crop, lst and keep nighttime temps almost as warm if not warmer than daytime temps to avoid stretch. I try to keep the nodes as right as possible. Is this not right when growing 4ft wide 4ft high bushes?

Am I wrong?

Please explain.

Thanks

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
they don't.

many people like tighter nodes and less stretch. I know I do. Most important is just to know your strain, so that you know when to flip. You don't want the plants running in to the ceiling/lights.

I

ibTheMan

modern genetics bro, tight nodes most of the time mean slow vegers and plants that dont stretch in flowern lead to poorer yields and the smaller buds tend to be crappy.

H

Hugo

My experience is to cut short stalky healthy clones and to grow the plant so it veggies longer with tighter nodes.

My new "money partner/investor is bringing in the clones.

He cuts log 8-12" clones, saying that we save time in veg this way, which makes me think he is very old school and that that is just wrong. Am I wrong? I've had great success keeping my clones and small plants tight, vegging them till they about 18", and then flip.

But, we are keeping numbers down and growing out bushes with one 1000w light horizontal per plant in 25gallon pots with promix hp.

He has a wealth of experience, probably over 300 lights at different places in total.

But the pic I saw of one of his places wasn't overly impressive.

He uses breeds like shark, kushberry, alien dog, Chemdog #4,....just to name a few, and he gets a pound a plant with one light over each.

It's driving me nuts cause he is pushing his clone technique which looks long and lanky, and talks about purposely increasing the temps to high 80's in veg to hurry up the veg process.

The above makes me wonder if he knows something that I don't. My ways worked with smaller plants, does he have right approach? Just seems wrong....

Thoughts?

I

ibTheMan

well, one question, how many zips per plant you getn? no lies, no inflaten #ers just str8 truth.

H

Hugo

I "was" running 1000w lights, 10 plants per light, my yields averages 1.79-2.05 pounds per light.

I was not running small numbers 3 years ago. Mind u I was running critical mass.

I don't have experience growing larger bushes but I am very versed in canopy management and take pride in full canopy with even hieght of colas. That is what I pay much of my attention to...

Ps. Exaggerators are losers.lol

H

Hugo

A very average crop would have been 1.5pounds per light, but that would be with bad helpers, lazy liars, or thieves who,
Eventually would no longer be working

A pound and a half is/was the minimum requirement

U probably know as well as I do that when u do maintenance yourself that yield always is increased dramatically.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
modern genetics bro, tight nodes most of the time mean slow vegers and plants that dont stretch in flowern lead to poorer yields and the smaller buds tend to be crappy.

"Modern Genetics" That's the silliest thing thing I have heard in a minute, especailly since it is pretty much the other way around but no hard fast rules for sure....in fact most real stretchers are usually doin it due to a little higher ratio of sativa in the hybrid mix and in most cases will yield a little less than its indica dominant counterpart..I do however have some sat dom stuff that will yield right with the indicas but as a rule the indicas rule the roost on yield.

Get more yeild from a plant that stretches than from a short stocky one? I almost spit my milk...lol

Tex

B

Bluenote

Say WHAT? What's that mean anyway " modern genetics"? And I must disagree with the rest of it , completely.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I agree with theman, I like the stretchy plants better, and I yeild better off them. Indica dom need extra veg, dont stretch enough, need leaves plucked, and get larf on lower shit real fast from the top. Then you have watch for mold, but the only indics ive grown are GDP mostly.
The OGs I grow stretch 20" past the screen after I scrog them for 7 days. With all the space between nodes it lets light down to those lower nugs and I dont have to pluck very many leaves if any. I love the sfvog cut i have.

MendoCruz

MendoCruz

"Modern Genetics" That's the silliest thing thing I have heard in a minute, especailly since it is pretty much the other way around but no hard fast rules for sure....in fact most real stretchers are usually doin it due to a little higher ratio of sativa in the hybrid mix and in most cases will yield a little less than its indica dominant counterpart..I do however have some sat dom stuff that will yield right with the indicas but as a rule the indicas rule the roost on yield.

Get more yeild from a plant that stretches than from a short stocky one? I almost spit my milk...lol

Tex

I must have the opposite experience than Tex. I don't have a lot of "shorties" in my stable, but the ones that I do have are not the yielders that my taller, more "stretchy" girls are. Granted, I am NOT pulling 1.75-2lbs per. Personally, I like a slight elongation between nodes, It seemes to let my flower expand to their full potential. The tops of course are big, but the secondaries also get very big. Plus, I can shorten my veg time, letting the girls do half of their growth in the first 3 or so of bloom. Granted also, Most of the strains that I run are 9-10 weeks, giving me less pulls per year.

E.C.U.G

E.C.U.G

Breeder
You only scrog for 7 days???

KMK

I agree with theman, I like the stretchy plants better, and I yeild better off them. Indica dom need extra veg, dont stretch enough, need leaves plucked, and get larf on lower shit real fast from the top. Then you have watch for mold, but the only indics ive grown are GDP mostly.
The OGs I grow stretch 20" past the screen after I scrog them for 7 days. With all the space between nodes it lets light down to those lower nugs and I dont have to pluck very many leaves if any. I love the sfvog cut i have.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
There is no way that a stretchier plant yields more. That is not a guarantee.

I can prove it all day. One of my best yielders was a cannadential. Barely stretched. Huge rock hard nuggets all over.

One of my worst: a destroyer. Stretched like 6x its flip height. barely developed some tiny shit airy buds. potent as fuck but horrible to grow.

I

ibTheMan

Tex

You for real? which breeders are breedn with short plants? Not many, and hell yah plants with a good stretch yield hella better, ive grown plenty of short breeds, it aint close, so before you spout off know what your talkn about.

H

Hugo

Look,
Sativa or indica, I still see people here veg out their plants with big spaces between nodes.... 3-5 inches apart.

I'm talking about only in veg! ...not after the flip(which I still try and reduce stretching with temperature).

When I'm done my veg, I like to pick off the nodes that don't seem to catch up to the rest of the nodes that will form a 12"-24" cola. I through out the veg keep picking off the nodes that might fall behind the cola I'm trying to create.

Does anyone else do this?

Those big spaces attribute to the buds not joining up,...no?

I get paranoid when I see my nodes far apart.

Why do a lot of people here not strive to keep their sativa or indica plants tight during veg....and into first few weeks of flower? Is this just laziness, lack of knowledge, or is it just not necessary because those large spaces join up anyhow? Do they? Don't they?

I don't know the answer to that because I don't let that happen...

Experienced opinions please..

Thanks in advance

H

Hugo

Also, keep in mind that I used to veg my plants and finish them about 3 ft high about 2 foot wide(10 plants per 1000w).

I would like to veg my "new adopted style" of growing so that they finish with a two month veg from clone, with tight nodes, 4ft high, 4ft wide bush finished flower dimension. One light(1000w) per plant, 25 gallon promix hp

So,

Keeping the nodes tight not the way to go? I will probably be scrogging also.

I

ibTheMan

Also, keep in mind that I used to veg my plants and finish them about 3 ft high about 2 foot wide(10 plants per 1000w).

I would like to veg my "new adopted style" of growing so that they finish with a two month veg from clone, with tight nodes, 4ft high, 4ft wide bush finished flower dimension. One light(1000w) per plant, 25 gallon promix hp

So,

Keeping the nodes tight not the way to go? I will probably be scrogging also.

IMO 4 plants per 1000w is the ticket, 7 gallon buckets and some 18"inch top hoop tomato, click my name go to Statistics, click threads i started check um out, good logs with good pics.Sour Kush#6, Motorbreath#6, Chems Sis, and Cheesedawgs(which where to tall for sure,lol)

H

Hugo

Yes I hear ya but we want to keep plant numbers down and veg for 2 months but use more lighting for yield. We have the space for the longer veg, and want to pound more lights over our already low plant numbers. It's more of a numbers thing for our situation

H

Hugo

Those big spaces attribute to the buds not joining up,...no?

I get paranoid when I see my nodes far apart.

Why do a lot of people here not strive to keep their sativa or indica plants tight during veg....and into first few weeks of flower? Is this just laziness, lack of knowledge, or is it just not necessary because those large spaces join up anyhow? Do they? Don't they?

I don't know the answer to that because I don't let that happen...

Experienced opinions please..

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

??????

B

Bluenote

You for real? which breeders are breedn with short plants? Not many, and hell yah plants with a good stretch yield hella better, ive grown plenty of short breeds, it aint close, so before you spout off know what your talkn about.

This is about to get good. You might wish to figure who the guy you were replying to is. That might verify whether he " knows what he's talking about" or not.

And it rather seems that there are quite a lot of breeders " breedn with short plants"..........

And really this isn't a question that can be covered with a " one size fits all" blanket answer.

I maintain some strains on both ends of the spectrum and **for me** it comes down similarly to certain others here i.e. the strains I have that stretch the most tend to yield the least . This could of course be exacerbated by the genetics behind them.

Top Bottom