Why Are They Turning Yellow/burning?

• Thread starter Peff
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Peff

Hi,

I have a couple of plants vegging, and some of them have yellow leaves and some even looks burnt. Am I overwatering? Not giving enough nutrients? Lights are too far? Etc..

Would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me how to spot whats wrong by looking at the leaves. Thanks!

( In the process of changing pots, which is why theres dirt on some leaves. Took a break lol )

Why are they turning yellowburning
Why are they turning yellowburning 2
Why are they turning yellowburning 3
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
2. How old are your plants?
3. How tall are your plants?
4. What size containers are they planted in?
5. What is your soil mix?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
7. What is the pH of your water?
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
14. What is the pH of the soil?
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
16. How much experience do you have growing?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Can you provide some info on the type of growing medium, type of lights, height above plants, type and dose of nutrients, type of water...those all help to determine the problem. There is a chart in the infirmary section that shows the most common issues. Things look kind of pale, but also look like they are possibly overfed. IMHO/

Monster762

Monster762

Look kinda dry. What’s your rh ? And how often are your inputs(water feed etc)
just curious

Your First step is to uppot (yesterday )n water real good. Rinse real good. Leaves n all n sit low light ( not dark just not intense either) til the leaves dry. Get ready to feed. Add mykos when you uppot. Or cheap alternative Home Depot. Dr earth root zone. Little purple pouch. Like $5 at Home Depot (mykos is $20 and not as easily available usually online order. )
Seriously uppot n water check roots while you’re in there but I think they’ll just be dry
Those pots
Spread fingers around both sides of stalk turn whole mess upside down tap bottom n sides your full root ball in there will come out clean into your hand in one clump . you’ll see. You’re bound or damn close. Causing crazy demand and showing dry starving symptoms. If your humidity is low this is adding to the issue. Causing more rapid uptake.
Add more soil with good amount of perelite good solid watering then go to your feed n top it off with 1/2 strength nutes. Balanced. What nutes you running?

But get the beneficial microbes in there while you uppotting. Just mix em in the whole soil mix forget sprinkling the transplant hole. You want to almost bind the next pot too. I’d go straight at 3-5 gallon fabric pots. Unless you want a monster then 7+ gal
Like 1diesel1 said Usually that list is like a mandatory before someone will spend time trying to figure it out. It takes too long to do this here one piece at a time. I think uppot ,good soil, good to go. Always check for bugs n if you don’t have an ipm you need that yesterday too. So 2 things yesterday are ipm and uppot

Just my opinion I’m far from a pro n still have fumbles myself.

P

Peff

Look kinda dry. What’s your rh ? And how often are your inputs(water feed etc)
just curious

Your First step is to uppot (yesterday )n water real good. Rinse real good. Leaves n all n sit low light ( not dark just not intense either) til the leaves dry. Get ready to feed. Add mykos when you uppot. Or cheap alternative Home Depot. Dr earth root zone. Little purple pouch. Like $5 at Home Depot (mykos is $20 and not as easily available usually online order. )
Seriously uppot n water check roots while you’re in there but I think they’ll just be dry
Those pots
Spread fingers around both sides of stalk turn whole mess upside down tap bottom n sides your full root ball in there will come out clean into your hand in one clump . you’ll see. You’re bound or damn close. Causing crazy demand and showing dry starving symptoms. If your humidity is low this is adding to the issue. Causing more rapid uptake.
Add more soil with good amount of perelite good solid watering then go to your feed n top it off with 1/2 strength nutes. Balanced. What nutes you running?

But get the beneficial microbes in there while you uppotting. Just mix em in the whole soil mix forget sprinkling the transplant hole. You want to almost bind the next pot too. I’d go straight at 3-5 gallon fabric pots. Unless you want a monster then 7+ gal
Like 1diesel1 said Usually that list is like a mandatory before someone will spend time trying to figure it out. It takes too long to do this here one piece at a time. I think uppot ,good soil, good to go. Always check for bugs n if you don’t have an ipm you need that yesterday too. So 2 things yesterday are ipm and uppot

Just my opinion I’m far from a pro n still have fumbles myself.

Thanks for the answer and sorry about the lack of info, this was only my 2nd post and I'm pretty new to growing, this is my 3rd batch but the first that it happened to.

My RH was pretty low as I had a tent in a new room and had issues for a bit, so this could very well have been the main problem. I couldnt really tell you how often I water since I just put my finger in the soil and lift the pots to see if they need water ( is that a good way of doing it? ) They were also clones, but were much more green and looked healthier. The roots looked pretty good to me, they're currently under two 600w MH in a 4x8 tent, temp is 75-78F, RH currently at 45% which is a bit low according to the VPD chart but I'm still trying to get it higher ( currently have 3 humidifier in the tent ). Looks like they're getting better a bit, I'll try to give some photos tomorrow. I'm going to try to make clones out of those for a mom, will they be " fine " since they'll be coming from plants that are unhealthy atm?

I gotta head to my hydro store tomorrow, I'll ask about the IPM.

P

Peff

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
2. How old are your plants?
3. How tall are your plants?
4. What size containers are they planted in?
5. What is your soil mix?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
7. What is the pH of your water?
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
14. What is the pH of the soil?
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
16. How much experience do you have growing?

I'll give all those infos tomorrow to make sure they're exact

Isnt the soil's pH the same as the water's pH? I usually water between 6,3-6,8 ( aiming for 6,5 ), what should the soil's pH be and how do I make it higher/lower?

New2dagame

New2dagame

I'll give all those infos tomorrow to make sure they're exact

Isnt the soil's pH the same as the water's pH? I usually water between 6,3-6,8 ( aiming for 6,5 ), what should the soil's pH be and how do I make it higher/lower?
Check the PH of the run off water next time you feed . That will let you know the PH of the soil . Even though your feeding correct PH doesn’t always mean soil PH is perfect . Good to check the run off a few times a cycle.
As far as your plants I have no idea .. but first thing that came to My mind was insects. Are you keeping your grow area clean and using good air flow also a rotating fan ?

P

Peff

Check the PH of the run off water next time you feed . That will let you know the PH of the soil . Even though your feeding correct PH doesn’t always mean soil PH is perfect . Good to check the run off a few times a cycle.
As far as your plants I have no idea .. but first thing that came to My mind was insects. Are you keeping your grow area clean and using good air flow also a rotating fan ?

What would be a good soil pH? And as I said, how would I go about lowering it or getting it higher? Higher/lower water's pH?

There doesnt seem to be any insects, but Monster talked about IPM so I'll look into it tomorrow morning as soon as I get there. I have a small round fan ( I'll post pics tomorrow of the setup ) as well as a fan that goes through my lights

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Calcium Calcium Calcium

Then make sure there is enough N to drive the plant. You are low in P also, look at the purple stems. Also, might be low in micros such as Fe and Mn.

She is HUNGRY!

I also see some PM...... Might want to start over with fresh plants and more feed. Just my two cents.

Monster762

Monster762

Calcium Calcium Calcium

Then make sure there is enough N to drive the plant. You are low in P also, look at the purple stems. Also, might be low in micros such as Fe and Mn.

She is HUNGRY!

I also see some PM...... Might want to start over with fresh plants and more feed. Just my two cents.
Basically feed me.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The chart that is used to determine what the deficiencies are is great, but there is NO information on what to look for when being overfed, which can look a lot like underfeeding, but is usually much harder to recover from. Every one of my plants gets purple stems as a reaction to the intense light and not a nutrient deficiency. Perhaps the entire stem, including the areas not exposed to light, turning purple will indicate a deficiency, but from my experience, I have been dealing with purple for 30 years or so and find it normal.
Of course, I deal with Promix and 6 gallon buckets, so I can't comment on hydro or other types of horticulture. In my experience, the less you mess with your nutrients and stuff the better your chances are for a successful run. I would say that you can achieve 95% of a plants potential using non specialized nutrients/fertilizers, finishing products, and soil modifiers. The extra 5% might result from perfected growing techniques, but by and large, if you have decent soil, 20-20-20 fertilizer and enough light you will have a good crop without worrying about Ph, Rh, PPMs, and the thousand other issues that everyone stresses over.
Growing can be as simple as throwing a seed into some dirt or as complex as running a full lab. Once you get comfortable growing a successful run, you can concentrate on tweaking your methods to get that extra 5%. I have seen WAY more grows screwed up by trying to find the "sweet spot" for nutes, Ph, or a dozen other things than simply letting the plants grow in a decent soil mix...even potting soil works great. Sorry for the rant. I just HATE seeing folks screwing up a good grow because they think that it's necessary to use all of these fancy solutions and additions that cost $$$ but contain $1 worth of nutrients.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

The chart that is used to determine what the deficiencies are is great, but there is NO information on what to look for when being overfed, which can look a lot like underfeeding, but is usually much harder to recover from. Every one of my plants gets purple stems as a reaction to the intense light and not a nutrient deficiency. Perhaps the entire stem, including the areas not exposed to light, turning purple will indicate a deficiency, but from my experience, I have been dealing with purple for 30 years or so and find it normal.
Of course, I deal with Promix and 6 gallon buckets, so I can't comment on hydro or other types of horticulture. In my experience, the less you mess with your nutrients and stuff the better your chances are for a successful run. I would say that you can achieve 95% of a plants potential using non specialized nutrients/fertilizers, finishing products, and soil modifiers. The extra 5% might result from perfected growing techniques, but by and large, if you have decent soil, 20-20-20 fertilizer and enough light you will have a good crop without worrying about Ph, Rh, PPMs, and the thousand other issues that everyone stresses over.
Growing can be as simple as throwing a seed into some dirt or as complex as running a full lab. Once you get comfortable growing a successful run, you can concentrate on tweaking your methods to get that extra 5%. I have seen WAY more grows screwed up by trying to find the "sweet spot" for nutes, Ph, or a dozen other things than simply letting the plants grow in a decent soil mix...even potting soil works great. Sorry for the rant. I just HATE seeing folks screwing up a good grow because they think that it's necessary to use all of these fancy solutions and additions that cost $$$ but contain $1 worth of nutrients.
I’m using quantum and getting purple on some new growth plants fine though.

P

Peff

Calcium Calcium Calcium

She is HUNGRY!

Thanks, as Jimster said I too have pretty much always been getting purple stems from my 1st to this one ( that is my 3rd )

Why would you recommend to start over with new plants? Are these not really good anymore?

Lastly, whats PM?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks, as Jimster said I too have pretty much always been getting purple stems from my 1st to this one ( that is my 3rd )

Why would you recommend to start over with new plants? Are these not really good anymore?

Lastly, whats PM?
PM is Powder Mildew. It can be caused by a variety of factors, mostly lack of air circulation and high humidity. The thing about humidity and mildew...even if your Rh is low, if you don't have enough air circulation, the area surrounding the leaves might be much higher due to plant transpiration. A fan will usually keep the Rh uniform as well as strengthen the stems...just don't run it at hurricane speed!
On a final note...I usually mix about 15-20% of composted manure to my promix and it makes a big difference. It also supplies most of the micronutrients and calcium that you would need for a run. Wood ashes are a great source of micronutrients although it can alter the Ph towards the alkaline side (7+) if you use too much...but it can also offset the acidic nutrients. Use with caution unless you have a pretty good idea of your water's and soil's Ph. It can cause lockout if used excessively. I add a cup/bucket. FWIW.

Last edited:
P

Peff

PM is Powder Mildew. It can be caused by a variety of factors, mostly lack of air circulation and high humidity. The thing about humidity and mildew...even if your Rh is low, if you don't have enough air circulation, the area surrounding the leaves might be much higher due to plant transpiration. A fan will usually keep the Rh uniform as well as strengthen the stems...just don't run it at hurricane speed!
On a final note...I usually mix about 15-20% of composted manure to my promix and it makes a big difference. It also supplies most of the micronutrients and calcium that you would need for a run. Wood ashes are a great source of micronutrients although it can alter the Ph towards the alkaline side (7+) if you use too much...but it can also offset the acidic nutrients. Use with caution unless you have a pretty good idea of your water's and soil's Ph. It can cause lockout if used excessively. I add a cup/bucket. FWIW.

Thanks, its pretty dry where I am though so I dont think thats really an issue as its now 40% RH with 3 humidifier ( goes between 40-50% )

They were due to be transplanted as the roots were visible in the pot's little hole at the bottom.

Are those spider eggs? Or the white thing thats in Promix? The guy at the hydro shop told me to watch for those

IMG 4662
IMG 4663
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Are those spider eggs? Or the white thing thats in Promix? The guy at the hydro shop told me to watch for those

I don't think they are eggs although they look a little like white flies...but you would see a few buzzing around any time you shake the plants. I think, looking at your original pics, that the spots are the same as seen on top of the leaves. If it was promix or anything else you should be able to rinse it off...the issues you show appear to be in the leaves themselves. a quick wipe will give you a better idea of the problem. With the plants being in small cups, they could have used up the nutrients in the soil and are hungry, or you might be overdosing them on nutrients...what, if anything, are you feeding them. I initially thought they might be overfed, but it's hard to tell without some info on fertilizers or nutrients. When you have little amounts of soil, you lose some of the buffering ability the soil provides and it becomes an almost hydro type of setup until you get bigger containers, since the soil doesn't hold much moisture when it is badly rootbound.

P

Peff

I don't think they are eggs although they look a little like white flies...but you would see a few buzzing around any time you shake the plants. I think, looking at your original pics, that the spots are the same as seen on top of the leaves. If it was promix or anything else you should be able to rinse it off...the issues you show appear to be in the leaves themselves. a quick wipe will give you a better idea of the problem. With the plants being in small cups, they could have used up the nutrients in the soil and are hungry, or you might be overdosing them on nutrients...what, if anything, are you feeding them. I initially thought they might be overfed, but it's hard to tell without some info on fertilizers or nutrients. When you have little amounts of soil, you lose some of the buffering ability the soil provides and it becomes an almost hydro type of setup until you get bigger containers, since the soil doesn't hold much moisture when it is badly rootbound.

Sorry ive been pretty busy. I'll give a full list with the exact amount tomorrow in a couple hours, the guy at my hydro shop said it's some insects ( did a peroxyde + water foliar spray, and doing a Growth Plus + Bug B Gone + water in a couple hours ) and the RH being too low, not allowing the plant to take in all of the nutrients I'm giving. RH was at 20~ for a while due to a new room that had troubles, I've moved them inside a new tent since then where its 75-78F and 45-50RH which is still kind of low but I've started spraying water on the leaves so that RH goes up

Off the top of my head, its A+B Growth, CalMag, some magnesium powder, there's another thing or two that I cant remember right now

Also, the hydroshop guy did mention flies but nothing is flying inside the tent and when I brush the leaves those white things doesnt move so I'd say thats not it, but the Bug B Gone should take care of whatever's in there

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Rh of 20% is low, but certainly not too low to grow a successful crop. I'm often skeptical of relying on hydro shops for fixing problems, as they have a direct financial interest in treating any problems you do, or don't, have. I'm not saying that your shop is crooked, I am just saying that they sometimes sell you stuff that you might not really need. Sometimes.
I think that people tend to overthink and overworry about their plants, panicing every time they see a spot or curled leaf tip. I have used the same semi-minimalist recipe for 30+ years and have never had a problem other than one of my creation. As long as the plant has enough nutrition, root space, enough light and water...you will be good. Plants don't really need much nutrition for the most part. A bag of good potting soil will grow a decent plant even if you don't pour potions and enhancements into the soil. Larger containers allow a few pluses...more room for roots, more soil to hold nutrients and water, and it acts as a buffer, preventing wild Ph and nutrient swings that are hard on plants. It helps to keep the Ph in the sweet spot, which is probably the most important issue since everything goes to hell when the Ph is wrong. Nutrient lockout and related overfeeding, ie chasing your Ph tail, is only one problem.
Sorry for the Sunday morning rant I have a buddy that is constantly adding stuff that the local hydro shop recommends, despite having a lot more problems, like you are seeing, he keeps buying and adding stuff that has caused him problems. Any changes in his crop is mostly psychological, IMHO, as he is always having problems that aren't really problems. I use an analogy with cars. 95% or more of cars on the road today run fine on the available gas. Unless you are a professional or very serious racer, regular or premium gas will suffice. Putting racing gas into your car doesn't make it go faster until your car has the modifications that require the high quality racing fuel. Remember, you are talking about your everyday car, not a specialized dragster that needs to get every bit of energy out of the gas. Plants are the same way...give them food, light, water, and a growing medium, and they will grow well. Can you get more out of them by using the special soils, fertilizers, and every other item known to man? Sure...but only to a degree. You might get another 10 or 15%, but you are typically seeing the increase due to the extra care you give them, such as daily pruning and other small things that add up over time.
I would transplant them into bigger buckets/bags with decent grow mix and see what happens. Once they get some room and better soil they will probably take off.

Top Bottom