Why Do I Have Seeds??

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Dont panic!! its not that bad.. But every year I always seem to find a couple finished pounds that have a couple seeds in the bottom.. I can never find them in the bud but this year I had a couple plants that I found a decent amount on when i was harvesting... Here are my questions... I have neighbors growing all around me.. How far can pollen travel?? Did someones breeding project get a little sloppy and accidentally let some pollen out??.. Did someone accidentally leave a male in the garden.. Did one of my plants hermie out and self pollinate?? Many of these questions about the neighbors I am never going to be able to figure out I just want to hear peoples opinions...

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I have two different gardens. It appears to me that the garden with no other neighbors growing around it doesn't get the seeds.. This leads me to believe it was one of the neighbors who messed up..

Homesteader

Homesteader

I have been pollinated the past few years by neighbors and it is frustrating to say the least. I suspect much depends on your geography

"As a result of aerobiological samples taken on the Costa del Sol (S. Spain), Cannabis sativa L. (marihuana) pollen was detected from May to September 1991–1996, always sporadically and usually during the afternoons. Sampling was by two volumetric spore traps set up in Malaga and Estepona, two coastal towns approximately 90 km apart. A study of the days when this pollen was recorded points to the movement of air masses from North Africa to southern Spain. Furthermore, the isentropic air trajectories calculated for these days reinforce the possibility of the pollen originating in marihuana plantations in northern Morocco (Rif). This study demonstrates the application of aerobiology to the control of the source, quantity and phenology of the crop."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231097001611

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

Dont panic!! its not that bad.. But every year I always seem to find a couple finished pounds that have a couple seeds in the bottom.. I can never find them in the bud but this year I had a couple plants that I found a decent amount on when i was harvesting... Here are my questions... I have neighbors growing all around me.. How far can pollen travel?? Did someones breeding project get a little sloppy and accidentally let some pollen out??.. Did someone accidentally leave a male in the garden.. Did one of my plants hermie out and self pollinate?? Many of these questions about the neighbors I am never going to be able to figure out I just want to hear peoples opinions...
I would say self pollinate brother, you know this but plant think or knows it life is over soon jmo

Blaze

Blaze

Everything you mentioned could have happened and there is no way to know for sure. Pollen does not stay viable for all that long - heat and moisture all deteriorate it. Depending on on the conditions and the wind it can potentially travel for miles but that is rare. With other species of plants it usually can't travel more than 100 yards, but I have read that there have been cases of traveling over 2,000 miles under extreme circumstances.

I always find a few seeds in my outdoor as well and I am literally a mile away from anyone else. Where it comes from every year I have no idea but it is never enough to be an issue.

M

mendel

Hi there I hope im not butting in but have some thoughts on this subject. here goes....

Cannabis is a weed and wants to perpetuate itself. Seeds are a given esp in a decent sized population.

Neighbors are a pisser.

I always have a few seeds as well. I dont sweat it, its part of the game. It has never been an issue for us.

I also think genetics can play a role as well. There is some dodgy gear on the market these days.

grayarea

grayarea

bitch i might be.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Studies have shown pollen with the right conditions can travel miles. Up to and including a continent away. The real question is, with its exposure to the elements during this travel, how long can it remain viable.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok, thought about this. Some questions to answer:

Was the plant on the broad side of the wind stream? First to get hit by wind or in the middle of all the other plants?

Was it Cherry pie or a cherry pie cross?

How many plants got pollinated, and were they in a group?

If your plant was in the middle of the crop, and the other plants around the one with the worst seeds also showed signs of pollination, then it was a self pollination job.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh, I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say after these questions have been answered, @Bulldog420

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

It was most mostly on one side of the garden. About a 1/4 of my garden is where we found about 20 seeds in about 60 done units. It was from the colas mostly. I'm pretty darn sure it from pollen being blown in or from a bee or something bringing it over. I have noticed about a mile or two away is looks like someone is growing 12 foot tall plants with no buds that he still hasn't harvested. Not sure if it's just hemp or cbd or males. But it's not regular female plants

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
It was most mostly on one side of the garden. About a 1/4 of my garden is where we found about 20 seeds in about 60 done units. It was from the colas mostly. I'm pretty darn sure it from pollen being blown in or from a bee or something bringing it over. I have noticed about a mile or two away is looks like someone is growing 12 foot tall plants with no buds that he still hasn't harvested. Not sure if it's just hemp or cbd or males. But it's not regular female plants

Was that spot the broad side of the prevailing winds?

Sounds like somebody missed a male, or like you said, CBD breeding project?

Hearing you say it was mostly colas, makes me think males. If you were to say the insides of the plants, that would indicate hermi pollen. Awesome little mystery here, thanks for sharing.

BTW, when I did a select pollination in my light dep greenhouse, I painted around 6000 seeds, and had about 200 stray seeds inside the greenhouse from over spray on the pollen. I mark my branches I paint, then harvest the rest. That is where I found the extra 200 seeds, and most likely, those 200 seeds were probably right next to the buds I painted.

I painted all those with full season plants showing pestles right next to them, (30ft) no seeds in anything else.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

the area that I found the seeds in the garden and the fact it was mostly in the colas is what made me think it was a male or a neighbors breeding project that got a little sloppy.

Top Bottom