Why do my roots look like dreads?

• Thread starter bob.fn.seger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bob.fn.seger

OK i've got an aero/dwc setup and my roots are looking like dreads. whats goin on and are they ok?:rasta2:

R

ReadySetGrowD9

i think i know what your talking about they are all braided togeting in the rez right??

If so your roots are fine its just bc when a plant is grow in hydro the roots grow different they are water roots instead of soil roots......

Post up a pic j.i.c. im wrong i would like to actually see what u are talking about

RSGD9

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

Had a similar problem. My dreads looked like roots.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Do you mean like this

16cord_roots.jpg

If so, then you need to raise the water level in your bottom pots. This needs to be at or just below the level of your plant containing pot with the medium....

This type of root isn't bad or wrong, its just inefficient as all it does is to support the weight of the finer roots below. Hope that makes sense.

R

ReadySetGrowD9

wow herb thats a new one for me thanks for the info bro

B

bob.fn.seger

Thanks guys. here's some pics. i couldnt get a shot of the one that is doing it really bad, but you can get the idea. they are 12 days past the light flip.

102 1423
102 1424
102 1426
102 1427
K

Kaiser Puff

That's happening due to running aero with the roots suspended in midair, it's not a major cause for concern.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Them are some nice fuzzy roots. Thats good. Im not sure about the stain on the roots probably from your nutes.
They are fine
BG

R

ReadySetGrowD9

bob those roots are looking great there is no problem if you want to help them get whiter and grow better you can add some SM90 to for feeding or folier spray.....

RSGD9

B

bob.fn.seger

Thanks RDSGD9. they have been a little brown now for a few weeks but no negative signs in growth. everything else is looking good. so i figured that it wasnt a huge problem. or at least i hoped it wasnt.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Hey man not trying to hurt feelings at all but those roots are in bad shape. You should not have brown roots at all. Your roots should smell like a fresh cut potato. If you can easily squish a root in your fingers and they smash up easily then bingo, root rot which it looks you have. In one of the pics it looks like some of the flowers are starting to brown out and yellow a little. This is a good sign of root rot.
Also you mentioned using Superthrive in Aero. That is a NO NO!!! Everyone I know that has used it in aero has had problems with roots.
The only time my roots look brown is cus I use H&G Roots Excellerator but the brown washes off.
I have never seen healthy roots that are brown when using the nutes you are using.

Do you have a water chiller for your setup? Can you please tell us the water temps in your hydro setup and res?
If it is root rot I know Roots Excellorator will help the rotted roots re grow. Best root stimulant on the market hands down.

B

bob.fn.seger

Well the roots are healthy other than the color. they are very thick and strong. they aren't squishy like you're saying. Yeah they do smell like taters. i never could place the smell. this is my first try at aero/dwc but i've been using it since the very begining. anything i have ever used superthrive on has turned out better than not i would think. i dont have any way to measure my res temp atm but when i dip my fingers into the water it is cool. and there isn't any browning of bud like you mention in the pics. it may just be the pics. using a new camera. i do think that i am using to much nutes even though they don't show it. my ppms have been in the thousands since transplant and for the past 3 or 4 weeks it has been above 1250. i keep adding more water but it always stays high. i got a res change coming up tommorrow or so andi am going to go with a third less than what GH suggests. i am using their nute calculator on the website. i very much so appreciate the advise though dude.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Are you using the Liquid Karma also? I think that will make your water and roots brown. Did not think of that.
I really would get a PPM/PH meter with Temp on it. If you are doing Hydro it is a must. You need to be below a certain temp in hydro or bad things will happen. Usually around week 6 in flower.
I didnt want to sound rude at all just being upfront and trying to help. So many people sugar coat things. If I was doing something wrong I wuold want to know.
As long as your roots are fine and smell like a fresh cut tater than you should be good. Also your water temps need to be in check.

R

RMCG

Pet Store.

1$

11GKVDVA6AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't think I would choose to run an aero system without even the most basic tools.

B

bob.fn.seger

naw. i'm not using liquid karma. i have a ppm pen but it doesnt have a temp on it. i'll be pickin up a therm today. i'll let you know what my temps are like later on.
Voss, do you have any kind of info on that. not that i'm saying its not true but if i listened to everything someone on here said was true i'd be "growing" in an 95F closet with 1 incandescent bulb and a black light and using cat shit mixed with toilet water for my nutes. HAHAHA.

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
i would say pithium attack on the roots , add some beni bacteria like companion
it has bacillus subtilis wich combats pithium attacks

Top Bottom