Why I Stopped Using Grow Light Spreaders- Reflector Discussion Only

• Thread starter GanjaGardener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I happen to run w/ adjust-a-wings reflectors but the breakdown below can be applied to all spreaders. I started to post in another thread, but due to length and the potential for violence, I decided it best to start my own thread- a rare treat indeed. I haven't proofread but will make corrections on the fly, as usual. FYI I'm a 30 yr TV/mo pic cameraman vet. last position- Lighting Cameraman or Director of Photography, take your pick.

When I was eye balling the pictures of tinker toy and erector set knock-offs on the internet, the adjust-a-wings stood out from the rest. I got lucky because I got what I figured I was getting. Took about 30 years to be able to know what I was getting off of an internet picture, though. Works great! for me and my style but there are a lot of styles and tastes out there so I/m tryin' to stay on technical and skirt either-or type comparisons.

I will tell you why, based on solid, easy to understand principles, most of my spreaders are in a box collecting dust. Guaranteed to make some of the spreader lovers cover their ears and bite back but who am I to stir up controversy, discuss applied lighting, physics for dummies, (ie me), let alone, dick around w/ op's paradigms?

Ahh...WTF? yuh~only go round once, in this epoch, (dimension?) anyways. So. Lets clear the room of adults, roll up our sleeves, and get down 2 it.

Hey! Teacha! Leave us kids alone.

And.....
Let's kick out the jams, MFs! :banana1sv6:

Blue Cheer?

Just goofin' on ya, (w/ the drama queen thing, that is). What can I say? I was an aspiring actor who got kicked back to the set and lighting design dept during my 1st semester in grad school.

The info I've gleaned while working w/ a-a-w spreaders can be applied to any spreader and it isn't earth shattering, either. Otherwise all of my spreaders would be collecting dust.
==~ ==~ ==~

The Down Low

There are applications for them. I'll use a spreader on a light that's dedicated to a single plant (or two) that's been lollipopped, and LSTd for a wide, shallow canopy and I'm sure there are other situations where a spreader could optimize the light.

Economics and redundancy are where the problem lies.

If I stood up at a IA 600 lighting workshop w/ an a-a-w reflector/spreader combo in hand and asked the crowd if the spreader would have an effect on lamp life expectancy, after an awkward moment while everyone turned to get a better look at the idiot who asked the question, the resounding answer would be, "Yes!"

Maybe not all would know the theory but who needs theory when you've had the unique experience of seeing/hearing/smelling and eating, (I've seen more than one gaffer picking glass out of his teeth after a lamp had gone off in his face), hundreds of lamps pop early as a result of having spent most of their lives in close proximity to screens, gobos, "cuc's", patterns, gels, cutters etc. Lamps for horticultural applications share the same laws and principles..

A lamp w/ a spreader tucked in next to it as it should be to optimize it's use, (will get to that, IAM), will have one area that receives a continuous kick (reflection) back at it- there's no way around it. The bend in the a-a-w spreader is the kick point. The same could be said of the reflector and, a reflector will, indeed, decrease lamp life but it does so in a gentler, wider, more diffuse manner.

The spreader kick focuses light and heat in a single line to the glass, the heat on the lamp surface is uneven, the lamp burns hotter than normal** due to the proximity, (ie** its specs), a stress point is created and poof! you've lost anywhere from one to four months of life from your lamp which would concur w/ my own experience w/ lamps and the a-a-w spreaders for the past 2 years.

To save some time and to keep it fresh for me, (I'm retreading ground covered in another thread), I'll do my own Q&A.

Rosebud: I've been using spreaders on my a-a-w rigs for years and I haven't noticed any difference in lamp life.
GG: Than they're either not mounted properly, ie too far away from glass or we are living in two universes w/ distinctly different physical laws. I can only address the first issue.
R: Do tell.
GG: The spreader was designed to be positioned 2-5mm away from the lamp- the closer to the lamp, the more enhanced the effect. Moving/bending the spreader farther away will save on lamp life but will also diminish the effectiveness of the application.
R: OK.So I lose a couple of months of bulb life. Big deal. The spreader will make that up for me by increasing the effectiveness of the lamps. I mean, I can almost drop the light right into the canopy. Great penetration.
GG: Do tell. (pregnant pause) OK. A spreader breaks up direct light from the source. Some of the light is thrown back at the spreader, some is thrown outside (ie below.) You can bring the light in closer but that isn't so much the result of having a wider spread. The light can be lowered because the spreader is blocking the direct shot that the light would normally throw out. That's the magic and main function of a spreader. It blocks direct light to keep the plant tips from frying at close distances. A Blocker or Blocker/Spreader would be a more accurate term.
R: Yeah, well isn't that exactly what it's supposed to do?
GG: It does what it's supposed to do, but it doesn't buy the additional penetration that some folks believe they are getting. A more dispersed pattern? Yes. A wider area of penetration? Yes, however w/ the caveat w/ the wider area of penetration comes less depth. If you want deep, don't block direct light w/ and object, even if it has holes in it.
R: But doesn't a light source that you can get right down in there compensate for the direct light loss? And how many foot candle are lost just to maintain a safe distance between light and plant top?
GG: Great question, and therein lies the Catch 22...well, almost. It's a trade-off, a borrow from Peter-pay Paul loop. You can block the direct light and re-disperse its luminosity, but realize that you're also losing efficiency because light loses transmission every time it hits a surface and is, a) absorbed, b)refracted or c) reflected. What you gain in distance by using a spreader, is essentially being lost in transmission. At best it's a wash.
R: And then there are the economic considerations- the cost of the spreaders and the increase in lamp expense.
GG: I'd add that intelligent energy use, resource management and environmental economics are underlying factors, and more important in the long run, as well.

M

mrbong73

Thanks! I was considering buying one too. Guess I'll skip it for now.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
They were on my list also

Glad I read this cuz I was in the market for a couple of those also, now I don't want one. Thanks

mal

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Glad it helped you my brothers. Not baggin on, just analyzing. Although simple, as a design, the a-a-w is a work of art but isn't the end-all either. A higher level of sophistication, ie tight, standardized specs would be something I think growers should push for. Go to a motion picture/theatrical lighting company and check out the specs. I can see why the growlight people have avoided going there. It's no putdown. Typical of any new, emerging industry. I'm, at once, above it looking down and swimming in it just like everyone else.- it's all the same...somehow.

PS They make great wall sconces!!

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Thanks for the informative post! I have a couple of spreaders and I use the adjust-a-wings. I love the wings. The spreaders, not so much. They really didn't seem to help out with light dispersion or hot spots. Any time I would compare with my eyes, one light with spreader vs another without, the one without looked better on my plant canopy. No science here, but just a layman's observation. Thanks for filling us all in on a little science behind the mysterious spreaders.

-TF

symbiote420

symbiote420

I bought a Spreader last year, I felt like an ass afterwards, how could I let them get me?, it did remove the hot spot but it took most of the damn light with it. It's around here collecting dust with a couple of other BS products.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I have spent hours fiddling with the ajw and spreader. Like you all, found the most efficient light pattern was without the spreader. Only way it makes sense is for a Christmas tree shape plant. There is a cold area right below the bulb and the light intensity increases toward the edges by a factor of approx 4 with the spreader; by a factor of at 3 without. I use mine with a mover so the most intense light is shared by all.
Next run I Plan on using the large with 2 sockets mounted at the very end running 2 600w bulbs with a splitter on my ballast set to extra high. Total of 1200 watts but the most efficient wattage bulbs. I was also thinking of trying to find a reflective material to mount flat just above the bulb to try to get more light toward the center. Now that I think of it I could flatten out the useless spreader and use that.
Otherwise, love i'm.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Good feedback. Thx folks. Nice to connect, especially when the people yer connecting w/, happen to essentially be in agreement w/ your opinion. :hiDissensions are also acceptable- the thread starter promised me that he wouldn't, (couldn't?) bite anyone.

more compassion- less ego...alas...i still seem to get pissed by someone/thing at least once a day. quick in and outs nowadays, though

TF- Whether you need to work to figure it out or have the wiring to intuit it, when you are looking at it through the right lens, it's easy as hell 2c, isn't it?
symbiote420- i've felt like an ass a few times my self. if being an ass costs me $29.95 or under, i consider it a good day.

dorjewright- dig the tech vibe and didn't think about the light mover application, but didn't go that route because moving lights and/or too much wiring and duct are a bit too chaotic in this ADD boys already chaotic field of vision.
I've thought about the dual light solution and will have 2 think some more about it if I'm to have an opinion. Whenever modifying or adding material to a reflector make sure to include air flow and the potential for uneven heat build-up when you're writing the equation. Remember, an open light or, in my old world, "an open", (what a-a-w would be classified), benefits from ventilation and a smooth burn just as much as hooded or closed. Just because it's easier to move cooler air to it, doesn't mean that it doesn't want it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think I need some terminology definition help here. What's the difference between a hood (reflector?) and a spreader?

I didn't realize/know that the simple act of placing a bulb in a fixture shortens its life. Does that explain the Livermore Light Bulb?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
May I ask what might ultimately prove to be an incredibly stupid question? (presuming the answer is yes)

Why would anyone pay the money for the light, reflector, and power to run it, only to then pay to BLOCK the light?

Am I a fucking cheap bitch, or what?
(That question doesn't need answering, answer's already yes.)

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

May I ask what might ultimately prove to be an incredibly stupid question? (presuming the answer is yes)
Am I a fucking cheap bitch, or what?
(That question doesn't need answering, answer's already yes.)
I don't know about the cheap part, but "bitch" would be a value judgment that would fall under the category of selective perception. One person's bitch, can be an other persons shaman. I have you somewhere in the shaman class, (and please, save the false modesty. I have enough of my own to deal with.
Why would anyone pay the money for the light, reflector, and power to run it, only to then pay to BLOCK the light?
Same reason that some people use the nutes that they do? Slick marketing and word of mouth.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I welcome this discussion. When I bought mine it was highly recommended by the local hydro shop. They even sold me the diffuser for the hot spot on a normal reflector. All wrong. After months of fiddling with it and rereading the literature it finally dawned that the designer developed it for his style of growing ie 3' plants in containers growing more or less like Christmas trees.
unlike most other reflectors that have a hot spot right under the bulb the AJW has a cold spot right under the bulb; the light increases toward the edges of the wings. The spreader just intensifies this characteristic. Makes sense if the growing style requires light to the outside of the growing area; bt is not helpful at all with multiple reflectors or sea of green/scroging. My solution since I had the reflectors was to use a mover sweeping that intense light at the trailing edges over the whole grow. Made it possible to cover a good 6' of grow space with 1 large reflector. So not a total loss.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Exactly the way I see it to. A spreader rearranges the density pattern and moves f/cs outwards, but it doesn't add to the reflectors efficiency and, in fact, cuts down on the total f/cs transmitted (direct and off the reflector), because of a simple law of physics that I break down in layman terms- the more surfaces light comes in contact w/ (ie bounces off of), the less light transmission (in f/cs) received by the object.

One way to distill it down-
- direct light provides the most efficient transmission. Vertical growers have figured this out. The difficulty w/ vertical growing is that you have to be a master plant arranger to optimize the light's potential within the 3 dimensional forest. An definite algorithmic headache for me due to aforementioned inclinations.

- spreaders "spread" the light out over a broader field and provide a different density pattern to work with, but sacrifice a degree of depth and efficiency to provide the effect.

You can favor one or the other but you can't have it both ways- physical laws simply don't allow it.

A third alternative is to draw a compromise between the two extremes and that's what a good horizontal reflector, (or an "open") does very well.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

My solution? Go w/ the lighting style that fits you and your scene the best, get intimate w/ the spread and throw of your lighting instrument, and learn to use it's density pattern to your advantage. In other words, get in there and work your hot spots.

PS
Once you get that down, (directed to those who understand that they may not have it all or most of it, <-[me...to a degree] down, yet); once you can see and have a sense for the logic of light, you may be surprised in the shift that your perspective has undergone a year or two from now, (shorter for quick studies), when you're in your favorite hort store checking out a new light that you've been hearing a lot about.

And therein lies what motivated this thread.

M

mrbong73

Do you change any of the adjustments on the wing during different growth stages?
How do you have your a wing set up? (Posed to all a wing users)

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I'd show you mine but I'm shy and want to see some other people show theirs first.
PS (typical)
I'd like to see and get some down low on other reflector brands, as well...particularly horizontal because it keeps the scope/comparisons, (not "either-ors", i hope) tight.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Do you change any of the adjustments on the wing during different growth stages?
How do you have your a wing set up? (Posed to all a wing users)

i keep my a-wings in the in the widest position throughout all stages of growth (no theories here, i just like simplicity). i found the spreaders to be worthless gimmicks as well but can't complain too much as i got them for free.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Hi delae632 I like simple too. My favorite works of Picasso are the simplest- 1 or two brushstrokes and there it is. I may be a little more curious than you about what constitutes simple, you may be more no "nonsense" than me, which I'm sure has has some definite advantages, but one way or another, simple is simple and it rocks.:ninja
Peace
I. B. Fuzzed
Advanced Techniques & Problems
:banana1sv6:

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I go wide as well.

161518d1312172525t-coco-round-2-alien-dogs-doom-img_2666.jpg.att

-TF

Top Bottom