Why is light bad during drying?

• Thread starter southern
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I’ve often thought about spray painting my jars white or black, which would eliminate any ambient light from entering the jar during curing. Thoughts?

Madmax

Madmax

Gee ive never used a fan in 30 yrs lol or hygrometers to check..at the end of my grows im in autumn and temps are still 16-20 with humidity around 60 odd % .being an outdoors grower i dont have to worry bout say if your growing indoors in winter.cause right now its about 9deg cel lol with 30% humidity inside ..brrrrrrrrr. 14 days i hang with it still on about 1-2 ft branch trimmed..after i feel them getting drier i lay the whole branch in the draw and nxt day i will turn it .leaving it on the stem stops the man handling and easier to turn over..its all about feel at the end before it goes into a jar...that reminds me...picks up bong..................yeah woooooheeee 🌲🌲🌲🌲

Madmax

Madmax

Coughs...i should say i have a little trick when i think the bud is near dry.i will put say 4 ounces in a plastic container and put it in the sun by the window sill.this draws the moisture out of the bud and if any buds dried quicker than other it draws moisture into them making it all even.i ltake away from window and leave lid off till it cools then i will feel it if itfeels still a little damp soft i will do it again.once im happy shes into a jar.i only have to check it once a week.i use to blowout reading how you guys burp them so i guess i speed that bit up what i do..30 yrs doing it this way...beautifull firm buds...gees ..wheres me lighter gone haha...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think this is somewhat over thought. A bit of low intensity light like a 100w lightbulb isnt going to degrade the THC much if at all. But direct sunlight will absolutely degrade it. It's the intense UV you want to avoid.

I used to be around a lot of oil making and when its extracted and suspended in alcohol it's a piss gold color. Now stick that jar in the sun for 20 mins and it will turn a cherry red color, hence cherry oil.
People used to do it when they fucked up and extracted too much green clorophyll, a few mins in the sun turned it into cherry oil.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I place a small 6” oscillating fan at the bottom of my closet circulating air. Not directly on your plants. That will dry them out fast. I have an ac cooled room which stays 60-70 degrees always with humidity 50/55%. The hotter the temps the faster your plants will dry, not allowing the chlorophyll to exit the plant. That’s what leaves us with the hay/grass smell. Never really allowing us to smell the true terpene profile.

This is pretty much how I dry as well. I use a small hepa air purifier for my fan but using the AC has made such a huge improvement to my harvests I'll never dry anything over 70 again and much prefer those low 60s with everything kept dark or very low light. Like nothing more than a small dim CFL for light.
I also cure at those temps in a small wine fridge.
The terp bouquets are phenomenal and that grassy hay smell I'll read about is never an issue

Last edited:
AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I’ve often thought about spray painting my jars white or black, which would eliminate any ambient light from entering the jar during curing. Thoughts?

You could also line the inside with parchment paper. I use stainless steel containers to block light but still use parchment so the buds dont rub the walls of the container and leave resin behind. All the good sticky stuff stays on the buds with no more *jar hash*😋

KDB42

KDB42

I place a small 6” oscillating fan at the bottom of my closet circulating air. Not directly on your plants. That will dry them out fast. I have an ac cooled room which stays 60-70 degrees always with humidity 50/55%. The hotter the temps the faster your plants will dry, not allowing the chlorophyll to exit the plant. That’s what leaves us with the hay/grass smell. Never really allowing us to smell the true terpene profile.

When you say that will dry them out fast, you don't mean too fast it'll hurt the outcome? Thats what i'm worried about the most being my first time. I really want them to dry out slow and steady for the best possible taste and smoke. Basically (from what ive gathered) as long as the fan doesn't blow directly on the buds and temps around 60-70 and humidity about 50 to 55% i should be ok?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
When you say that will dry them out fast, you don't mean too fast it'll hurt the outcome? Thats what i'm worried about the most being my first time. I really want them to dry out slow and steady for the best possible taste and smoke. Basically (from what ive gathered) as long as the fan doesn't blow directly on the buds and temps around 60-70 and humidity about 50 to 55% i should be ok?
That’s why I place at bottom of closet and hang pants higher in closet. Eliminates the fan blowing directly on them but still keeps the air moving. Yep that’s perfect. Hang the plants as high as possible.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

That’s what leaves us with the hay/grass smell. Never really allowing us to smell the true terpene profile.

That's not accurate. Humans absolutely cannot smell chlorophyll in a plant. Its scientifically impossible, the threshold for olfactory detection requires concentrated amounts.

The answer to the question was posted above, and it seems to be the piece of the puzzle that young growers refuse to grasp and completely ignore: the distinction between life and death. The grass smell is from letting the plant know its injured. All energy is redirected away from fatty acid derivatives that attract humans, towards fatty acid derivatives that attract predator bugs, as the plant thinks its being eaten by bugs. Sadly this reality has reached bro science myth status, along with flushing, curing, and bone dry sticky weed. And it's all related to the same issue: people harvesting while the plant is in full photosynthesis, Npk, water, sunlight, room temperatures, stomata open, the total package that's got kids buying moisture packs to keep their incurable nitrogen-loaded lawnmower weed nice and wet so they can pretend it's dank.

Frosty78

Frosty78

Supporter
Duct tape 0r Electrical tape would do
Would you have to sand the glass no pun intended so the paint would stick

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
That's not accurate. Humans absolutely cannot smell chlorophyll in a plant. Its scientifically impossible, the threshold for olfactory detection requires concentrated amounts.

The answer to the question was posted above, and it seems to be the piece of the puzzle that young growers refuse to grasp and completely ignore: the distinction between life and death. The grass smell is from letting the plant know its injured. All energy is redirected away from fatty acid derivatives that attract humans, towards fatty acid derivatives that attract predator bugs, as the plant thinks its being eaten by bugs. Sadly this reality has reached bro science myth status, along with flushing, curing, and bone dry sticky weed. And it's all related to the same issue: people harvesting while the plant is in full photosynthesis, Npk, water, sunlight, room temperatures, stomata open, the total package that's got kids buying moisture packs to keep their incurable nitrogen-loaded lawnmower weed nice and wet so they can pretend it's dank.
Source please? Or bro science?

citygrower18

citygrower18

so after readying all these posts, it seems like its not that bad that I left the lights on in my closet overnight for 12 hours while my buds were hanging and drying. Not long enough too be significantly detrimental and not UV only, low powered house hold light

Latest posts

Top Bottom