Why is My 4 week Plant Bushy?

• Thread starter jcas004
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jcas004

jcas004

Hi Everyone,
I'm a beginner at this, my third plant and first to grow outdoors in the southern sun! Someone gave me a seed and it germinated in 3 days..I transplanted into a 6mth fertilized miracle grow soil and put it outdoors to Do it's thing. This is 4 weeks in..Very low maintenance and rapidly growing..seems to be quite happy..But I never seen it grow like this, always tall and leggy. I did top it for the first time today and was really debating if I should of. Can anyone tell me why it's growing full like that, ..just curious as I haven't seen this and was it ok that I topped it? Thank you!

Why is my 4 week plant bushy
Why is my 4 week plant bushy 2
Madmax

Madmax

Thats about the norm on node spacing in an indica leaning plant..she looks healthy a nice green too and off to a great start for an outdoor plant...especially being in woodchip substrate it actually absorbs up N then once broken down is released back into the soil....you using it as a mulch layer to keep moisture in..

jcas004

jcas004

Thats about the norm on node spacing in an indica leaning plant..she looks healthy a nice green too and off to a great start for an outdoor plant...especially being in woodchip substrate it actually absorbs up N then once broken down is released back into the soil....you using it as a mulch layer to keep moisture in..
Should I not use that mulch it's actually an orchid plant mulch, I don't know why I put it in...I just put a thin layer and didn't want it to go into drought...I'm hoping it's a female..I don't even know for sure yet, I was still waiting to see the sex, just a random seed, hopefully it will be a medical indica for pain relief and body relaxation. Thanks for responding this helps alot!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Tall, spindly plants can also come from low light, but if your other plants were in the southern sun, it was probably genetics.

Don't automatically top a plant you've never grown before until you see if will be a benefit for the way you grow. If you want to try and recover a single, main stalk, you can remove one of the two branches coming out of the top.

jcas004

jcas004

Tall, spindly plants can also come from low light, but if your other plants were in the southern sun, it was probably genetics.

Don't automatically top a plant you've never grown before until you see if will be a benefit for the way you grow. If you want to try and recover a single, main stalk, you can remove one of the two branches coming out of the top.
No the others where indoors one was a male and the other I couldn't get much harvest but what I did get was fire. I have been researching for years as I do with any plant I grow in my garden ..but I guess it's too late now..and we will just have to see what happens..its always trial and error thing with me when growing anything. The soil is also moisture control but I still added that thin layer of mulch and again I don't know why other then I didn't want it to go into drought stress in case I couldn't get to water it In the event I go outta town...which would be rare and I check my plants daily for water.

Madmax

Madmax

Should I not use that mulch it's actually an orchid plant mulch, I don't know why I put it in...I just put a thin layer and didn't want it to go into drought...I'm hoping it's a female..I don't even know for sure yet, I was still waiting to see the sex, just a random seed, hopefully it will be a medical indica for pain relief and body relaxation. Thanks for responding this helps alot!
Im not sure how the plant will cope later once it starts warming up..maybe something like promix bx is more suitable depending on the nutrients you are using..but dont quote me on that 😃 id wait for some more experienced growers that grow in pots to comment whats best..will def need a waay bigger pot though..

jcas004

jcas004

Im not sure how the plant will cope later once it starts warming up..maybe something like promix bx is more suitable depending on the nutrients you are using..but dont quote me on that 😃 id wait for some more experienced growers that grow in pots to comment whats best..will def need a waay bigger pot though..
Bigger pot ?!? Are you serious!!! I knew I should of gotten a 5 gal paint bucket! This pot is pretty large though.. maybe. You can't tell by pix. Oh it's pretty hot here... I'm sort of afraid to transplant it at this stage, I don't want to disturb it's happiness!

20210604 125335 1
jcas004

jcas004

This is less then one week after topping..wow! This pic was taken 2 days ago.

20210608 080049 1 1 1
Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

No worries. That means it's getting plenty of good usable light penetration. Looks healthy. It seems all my plants stay relatively short and bushy. That's how these plants have been genetically engineered over the years for the most part.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Topping adds serious stress to your plant, the only time i do it is when my plant is going to outgrow my light, your plant is outside and smallish i would have let it be, keep a sharp eye on your ph bc miricle grow is not ment for cannabis, a it is infused with food so everytime you water you feed, b for some stupid reason miricle grow contains sodium (salt) not an ideal medium, your plant is not bushy and does not need pruneing and in my opinion to small to put outdoors, by topping only 1 plant the stress can make it hermi or dwarf out, my advice is to grow feminized seeds made for outdoor grows in a proper medium. This plant is only 22 days old.

jcas004

jcas004

Topping adds serious stress to your plant, the only time i do it is when my plant is going to outgrow my light, your plant is outside and smallish i would have let it be, keep a sharp eye on your ph bc miricle grow is not ment for cannabis, a it is infused with food so everytime you water you feed, b for some stupid reason miricle grow contains sodium (salt) not an ideal medium, your plant is not bushy and does not need pruneing and in my opinion to small to put outdoors, by topping only 1 plant the stress can make it hermi or dwarf out, my advice is to grow feminized seeds made for outdoor grows in a proper medium. This plant is only 22 days old.
Thanks for the info...this stuff is so conflicting and confusing! Everyone says different things that contradict each other....I will watch the pruning on the next one I have started ....but honestly I think natures way is best to do its thing? A good soil suggested will be appreciated. But I will just use organic sources for this plant as it grows. This is today at almost 6wks

20210610 081904
20210610 105057 1
Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

I am doing a little experiment at the moment. I have 3 rainbow reserve exoticgenetix that came out of soil the same day 5/24 so 17 days old. I topped 1 of them. It is still as healthy but the two I left alone nearly doubled in size. The topping does stunt the plant growth but it didn't have any factor on its overall health. Also I have a sweathelmet that popped up on 5/4 I topped twice and made into a mainline. What I've learned is you can very easily manipulate the growth of the plant with topping and tieing but it does stress the plant out and slows the growth. I like simple LST the best so far with no major cutting. Just bend the plant sideways and continue to tie new shoots down. Which creates multiple main bud sites. Like on my red runtz.

#1-2 rainbow reserve
#3 other 2 rainbow reserve
#4 topped rainbow reserve
#5 sweathelmet
#6-7 redruntz

Screenshot 20210610 115301 Gallery
20210610 114720
Screenshot 20210610 115329 Gallery
20210610 115907
20210610 114816
20210610 075240
20210610 114808
Moeboi

Moeboi

This is less then one week after topping..wow! This pic was taken 2 days ago.
Yours looks alot bustier than mine ill have my new lights in today going with cfl bulbs instead of led taking to long for plants to grow been growing same plants for months my lighting been 18/6..they still look good but still in veg due to lighting just changed their soil from miracle gro to stay green pottin soil perlite and vermiculite

20210608 114559
20210608 114541
Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Yours looks alot bustier than mine ill have my new lights in today going with cfl bulbs instead of led taking to long for plants to grow been growing same plants for months my lighting been 18/6..they still look good but still in veg due to lighting just changed their soil from miracle gro to stay green pottin soil perlite and vermiculite
What kind of led and how close? I found that they like them within 16-24 inches with my mars hydro 600 100wat actual. And I'm running them about 30 inches right now because I have another led in there. I like the cfl 6400k for early verging. I noticed adding a small 24wat 6400k cfl within 8 inches of plant really helped node spacing.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

I don't know I'm new to this ...it's just growing outside with my garden ..just letting nature take it's course..we have had several days of cloudy rain so might be why...had to keep putting it under my gazebo to keep from drowning out but the sun has begun to shine again so we will see
Don't worry about the size. It looks really healthy. I put 1 of my rainbow reserve outside and the other 3 inside. The one outside is growing 5 times as slow. It's just due to conditions. Keeping a plant in a tent at perfect conditions is like a shot of steroids lol I also use very small amounts of nutrients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom