Why is my calyx browning?

• Thread starter Kgunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kgunge

Kgunge

Hello 👋🏼 been a while. Hope everyone’s well.
i came across something funky in the garden. I’m not sure what this is as I haven’t seen it before. The calyx or “pre flowers” almost seem to have a brown colour to them. This is the only plant in the room like this.
week 2 : day 14 of flower
Coco perlite 70/30
DE hps
Daytime :temps 78-81f RH 60-65
Nighttime : temps 65-69 rh 60-70
PAR 650-800 ppfd

Why is my calyx browning
Why is my calyx browning 2
Why is my calyx browning 3
Why is my calyx browning 4
Why is my calyx browning 5
GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Not looking good. What it the white debris on the leaf surfaces when I zoom in?

Upping your humidity and lowering light intensity would be good first steps towards recovery.

Kgunge

Kgunge

Hey! Woah thanks for all the responses.
the lights are 3ft from canopy. de hps running at 80%. 700ppfd give or take. I didn’t think of it being light burn because the environment checks out to me, or so I thought. Room temp of 78 would give me about a 80f leaf temp in the hps. PPM7 1300 right now getting fed until runoff everyday.
@GreenMtnGuru @tobh @growsince79

tobh

tobh

Supporter
in that case, start looking for pests. @GreenMtnGuru might've caught this one. possibly something like root aphids, those nasty fuckers will straight destroy crops and require nuclear protocol for treatment.

Kgunge

Kgunge

my only guess would’ve probably been something in the root zone. Even though I’m feeding twice a day , it still seems that they dry out too soon. This is the first time I’m using a smaller medium. I went from 20 gal fabric pots to 7 gal hand fed twice a day 6 hours apart.
@tobh

tobh

tobh

Supporter
ah.... my bad i completely bypassed the details on the grow. can you post full plant pics? are all the plants in the grow affected or just this one?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
even two times a day seems low to me, which could indicated toxicity, or a serious pest infestation. both will present symptoms like this. i would also be curious what your runoff EC is. that will be the tell of toxicity. otherwise, pest issues are very likely. i've not seen such serious nutrient burn in years and am hesitant to believe an obviously competent grower would roast plants that way.

Kgunge

Kgunge

Thanks for your responses. I’ll check under the microscope for any pests @MeechDGAF @BurnzYzBudZz and update the post. I just got to work I’ll be doing that soon

@tobh , yeah man I didn’t think that my coco would dry out this quickly in the 7 gal pots. I’m limited to feeding twice a day manually by hand until we get our drip system built. (2 months from now). I wish I could feed more but I have to balance my life with the garden :/ here are some whole plant shots. There was 3 plants out of 50 effected , all 3 were in different parts of the room not near each other. Here are some more photos. It’s so odd that I have some colas on other plants that are 1-2 feet from the hps and they’re doing fine but these couple plants that happen to be shorter in height and further distant from the lights are having this weird yellowing / browning of the calyx and this clawing and crusting of the leaves NEVER seen something like this before. Besides the leaves , where else should I be check with the microscope ? Thanks tobh

D64D55CC C3DD 4253 B9FD D5F181E1ACE9
73E4242D 17F3 4B17 9BAC 5D8C9CCA1086
3B63410F 8181 46FA AC4D E7281C6538DA
99E648A1 D3B0 406A 9591 FE2B75605723
A3FFAF82 6C29 4BAE AA61 A0B1F77B13E0
FBB3F407 49F2 4D44 B12C F16F4302706D
B5BBAF28 6807 4D26 8E86 8758DA11812D
Kgunge

Kgunge

Dang fellas now that I look into mites …. Very similar symptoms. Wow…. I’ll be going under the microscope soon and posting microscopic photos soon.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
fuck man, i'd also quarantine the affected plants ASAP. get em out of that room if you can. three plants aren't worth losing your entire room to mites.

you'll need to dig into the coco and check the roots as well, again with a microscope as root aphids aren't visible to the naked eye iirc. lots of older growers here have war stories about dealing with em, they're the last pest you want in your room for sure.

Kgunge

Kgunge

Hey everyone , here’s an update.
@Aqua Man @tobh @MeechDGAF @GreenMtnGuru
Currently in week 2 flower day 14, any recommendations on what to do from here ? Thanks for everyone’s Input 🤙🏼

F6AAD4EA A98C 4D37 8545 DB578C57A301
53381697 4299 4E2B A6DD C1DB39E54F17
B519B4E2 CE1A 431C 9688 1A4DE897DDCF
AB2ABFC7 7F45 43CA 94BE 2F0171EE57AC
3092D68A DDED 4DC6 B76C 89853FF6325F
MeechDGAF

MeechDGAF

Ive never personally had them just read stuff. It seems that sulfur, oils (to suffocate), and certain pesticides like azadirachtin and pyrethrin. I believe insecticidal soaps are made to be applied but not sure the ingredients or proper ratios at the moment.

P

Pike

Fuckin russets are rampant, holy shit.

kill the whole shooting match, I mean plants, Bomb the whole show. Anything else your wasting time and money

there already everywhere, look closer to the other plants, and look at the bottom of the buds, as the hairs die and they eat your trics. Your tops will outgrow um for a bit but once the stretch is over and there budding, they just destroy the plant from the bottoms up.

ravinous mofos, you can spray shit to knock um back, there just to small and are in spots that don’t get hit.

you can go primal on um and use avid, or any other nasty pesticide and that will kill um dead, but you really don’t wanna do it in flower really. And imo at this point the damage is done.

good luck, sorry to see it happen to anyone.

Last edited:
P

Pike

One more little surprise with russets, they continue to eat on your buds even when dried. Eat all the resin right off. And they can continue to survive eating dry material, as in trim and such.

Kgunge

Kgunge

Fuckin russets are rampant, holy shit.

kill the whole shooting match, I mean plants, Bomb the whole show. Anything else your wasting time and money

there already everywhere, look closer to the other plants, and look at the bottom of the buds, as the hairs die and they eat your trics. Your tops will outgrow um for a bit but once the stretch is over and there budding, they just destroy the plant from the bottoms up.

ravinous mofos, you can spray shit to knock um back, there just to small and are in spots that don’t get hit.

you can go primal on um and use avid, or any other nasty pesticide and that will kill um dead, but you really don’t wanna do it in flower really. And imo at this point the damage is done.

good luck, sorry to see it happen to anyone.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up. Unknowingly, you’ve just connected some puzzle pieces for us that has been going on for 6 months now, especially with the drying. I’m going to have to do some more research because yes in week 3 in flower to me it seems like fighting a losing battle…. Especially since we don’t have the kind of walking space to spray consistently without getting caught up in trellis netting and breaking down branches

Top Bottom