Why is my oscillating fan suddenly so weak?

• Thread starter Shneex0338
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shneex0338

First of all - I don't know if this is the correct subforum, I hope I'm right here.

I got this oscillating fan around a month ago, it's a pretty big one. When I got it, it literally blew the hair off my head, at least that's what it felt like. I had to reposition it carefully so it doesn't rip my plants apart in my 3x3 tent, it was more than enough on low settings.

Now as of a few days, it just feels.. weak, for whatever reason. It sounds the same, noise level is 1:1 the same, it doesn't make any strange noises at all, but it just doesn't put the air out at all. The position hasn't changed, it was always there, but it just doesn't want to do what it once did. I even took the fan out the tent, because maybe, for WHATEVER reason, it was suddenly to close to the tent walls behind it. It was always there and always worked, but who knows? Sadly it didn't change anything, even if it doesn't have any obstacles behind it.

What exactly is going on here? How is it at maybe 20% of it's actual power, when it literally sounds the same? It isn't dirty at all in the back, there's just a tiny amount of dust collecting on top of the casing.

As you can see in the video, I literally had to grab one of my seedlings and hold it as close as possible to the fan to get SOME kind of movement from the seedling. In the first 2-3 weeks, this fan would've knocked the seedling over at that range, easily. It would've killed it in a few seconds.

EDIT: I FIXED IT! For anyone having the same issues, especially if you're a noob like me - Your fan does NOT nearly operate as good as when it was new if there's just the tiniest amount of dust ON the blades! I had some fine strands of coco on the edges of the blades, literally just like tiny hairs, things you may ignore. As shown in the image (I didn't take a picture so I drew this masterpiece), it's just stupidly tiny fibers that collected on the edges of the blades, like tiny hairs.

These fine inconspicuous hairs will lower the fans efficiency BY HALF OR EVEN MORE! Remove them if you have them!

Last edited:
Top Bottom