Why my leaves are not dense and my plant has long stems with leaves only on the top?

• Thread starter Ganja_mama93
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ganja_mama93

Ganja_mama93

Hi, everyone. Iā€™m always asking something but the truth is that you always help me and i appreciate it!
My next question is why my indica auto plant doesnt look dense at all. I defoliated it a bit today for a first time because i saw that some of the fan leaves were preventing the light to reach the lower nodes and future buds.
But any way, the stems look very tall without any nodes on them which probably means that the final result wont be promissing.
The left one, which is auto sativa looks denser but about 2 weeks ago, when i decided to start training, i broke the main stem by mistake and i got scared that nothing will come out of it but then i saw that i actually did it a favour. The more they were growing, the less light was reaching the lower parts so i decided to try again.
So what do you think? Is there something that can be done to make it denser? I started feeding them last week with the trio: micro, grow and bloom by advanced nutritions. I think they are in early flower.

Why my leaves are not dense and my plant has long stems with leaves only on the top
Why my leaves are not dense and my plant has long stems with leaves only on the top 2
Ganja_mama93

Ganja_mama93

Big spaces between nodes normally is a sign of inadequate light or light hung to high.
Thanks, but look the left one. The light has been the same for both of them and the left one is denser. The light is not high at all, i even put it a little bit higher yesterday as they are becoming taller and the light has been about 40,50 cm away from them.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Thanks for the joke šŸ˜
Depending on how you plan to flower I doubt itā€™s a joke, spacing like that is excellent for scrogging, nodes too dense and you have to start thinning or you will have more than one node per square, 3-4ā€ spacing between nodes for scrogging is ideal

Or at least it is for me šŸ˜

Donā€™t worry those nodes will split and youā€™ll fill in fine, or however sheā€™s genetically geared to produce leaves to support how that strain flowers

IMG 4483
Ganja_mama93

Ganja_mama93

Depending on how you plan to flower I doubt itā€™s a joke, spacing like that is excellent for scrogging, nodes too dense and you have to start thinning or you will have more than one node per square, 3-4ā€ spacing between nodes for scrogging is ideal

Donā€™t worry those nodes will split and youā€™ll fill in fine, or however sheā€™s genetically geared to produce leaves to support how that strain flowers
Your ladies look absolutely fantastic. I wish mine become like yours ā¤ļø!
Is scrogging when you put a net over them? Im not really familiar with this method as this is my first growth. What should i do?
Yesterday i removed quite a lot of fan leaves, so im not touching them more for now. Im afraid of overdoing it šŸ˜. I wanted to use every part of the plant so i decarboxylated the leaves until dry and infused them with coconut oil, dried chammomile, bees wax and zinc oxide and thats the result. Absolutely amazing balm for cuts, dry skin, rashes and etc.

IMG 6011
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Your ladies look absolutely fantastic. I wish mine become like yours ā¤ļø!
Is scrogging when you put a net over them? Im not really familiar with this method as this is my first growth. What should i do?
Yesterday i removed quite a lot of fan leaves, so im not touching them more for now. Im afraid of overdoing it šŸ˜. I wanted to use every part of the plant so i decarboxylated the leaves until dry and infused them with coconut oil, dried chammomile, bees wax and zinc oxide and thats the result. Absolutely amazing balm for cuts, dry skin, rashes and etc.
Yes I use a self built table of PVC and sting up a net with 3ā€x3ā€ squares

These plants where defoliated about 3-4 days before I put them in there

Hereā€™s it being set up, the video shows the sparseness of leaves in the plants but you see what they turn into, that video was on march 31st, they were also fully lollypoped (everything below the net removed, all bud sites, all leaves, and then once stretch is progressing anything the at does not clear the top layer of net gets removed as well

I like to build the first net and fill it 65-75% then flip and install the 2nd net and let the stretch fill it in to what I showed above

IMG 2588
IMG 3223
IMG 3224
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ā™„ fat colas
Supporter

I have a hard time taking big branches off and with over vegging, so I typically turn the fans up to hurricane speed, drop humidity to desert like conditions and šŸ™

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I have a hard time taking big branches off and with over vegging, so I typically turn the fans up to hurricane speed, drop humidity to desert like conditions and šŸ™
I try haha but with this much foliage in a 4x8 Iā€™m running a 1400w dehu in the 20x10 lung room and barely holding the room at 50%RH, and the tent at 52-55%, luckily today the temps are lower outdoors as is the humidity so fingers crossed that helps lol

I have a tower fan, a 16ā€ standup fan, 2x 6ā€ fans and an 6ā€ exhaust and filter running at 100% in there

Ganja_mama93

Ganja_mama93

Yes I use a self built table of PVC and sting up a net with 3ā€x3ā€ squares

These plants where defoliated about 3-4 days before I put them in there

Hereā€™s it being set up, the video shows the sparseness of leaves in the plants but you see what they turn into, that video was on march 31st, they were also fully lollypoped (everything below the net removed, all bud sites, all leaves, and then once stretch is progressing anything the at does not clear the top layer of net gets removed as well

I like to build the first net and fill it 65-75% then flip and install the 2nd net and let the stretch fill it in to what I showed above
Thank you so much for the comprehensive info.
Your set up is amazing, but cant expect less from a professional šŸ‘ŒšŸ».

Can i ask you about the lollypopping method. Which node i should remove everything down from? Also how often can i do it if i dont want to shock the plant too much? I defoliated the plants yesterday so should i wait a few days?

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

Very awkward. Did you find the problem? Apart from that it looks healthy..
i had over watered it not bad but enough to stunt it but seriously i cant grow a plant over 2 ft tall at harvest i wish mine was likes yours was no joke here is 2 more same age but in the 2nd week of flower no joke the 1 on the right i did top it so that was not good
IMG 20240520 180621997
IMG 20240520 180638432
IMG 20240520 180648331

Bilber

Bilber

Thanks for the joke šŸ˜
Ha.....your plant that looks like a joke.....that is the exact same structure and size of my Alien O.G. ! And she is 1, of so far 2 plants of mine, that are the most incredibly šŸš¬ing strains....

Sizes of plants can vary, depending on many variables.....

My point.....my small ass joke of a plant, Alien O.G., will always, hopefully, be with us!

And buds, you've grown some killer autos! They are little bitches though......I try to stay away from them.....they are just so tempting......

Ganja_mama93

Ganja_mama93

Ha.....your plant that looks like a joke.....that is the exact same structure and size of my Alien O.G. ! And she is 1, of so far 2 plants of mine, that are the most incredibly šŸš¬ing strains....

Sizes of plants can vary, depending on many variables.....

My point.....my small ass joke of a plant, Alien O.G., will always, hopefully, be with us!

And buds, you've grown some killer autos! They are little bitches though......I try to stay away from them.....they are just so tempting......
Haha. Why do you try to stay away from them?
Thats my first growth and as a girl, i worry about everything haha. I watch videos all the time and i always find something thats wrong with my babies šŸ˜. The plant that you are talking about is a fast bud Banana purple punch and is supposed to be with 26% THC.. which is pretty high.. i keep my fingers crossed that she will become a killer. The other one is Purple haze.. old but gold šŸ‘ŒšŸ» and i absolutely love sativas ā¤ļø.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Thank you so much for the comprehensive info.
Your set up is amazing, but cant expect less from a professional šŸ‘ŒšŸ».

Can i ask you about the lollypopping method. Which node i should remove everything down from? Also how often can i do it if i dont want to shock the plant too much? I defoliated the plants yesterday so should i wait a few days?
For me the goal is to remove anything below the top canopy and main colas, in veg you i defoliate once a month, than about a week before they hit the nets they get a big defol, once they hit the nets I remove everything on the bottom 1/3 of the plant, everything, every new node, leaf anything, then I let them recover and put them in the nets after that, then once they are in the nets I let them fill in until the net is 65-75% full then I install the top net, once they reach that net I remove everything from where I stopped before up to the first net, then I flip to flower, during that week every 3ish days Iā€™ll remove a bunch of foliage and bud sites between the nets, then around day 20 you want that whole section between the nets and under them completely bare from that point (day 20 and on) I check for any nanners etc in case one herms etc, if nothing by day 30ish then itā€™s just ride until there done

I know I had pictures somewhere but I probably deleted them by now, but theyā€™d be at the beginning of flower of my current grow in my grow log

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Haha. Why do you try to stay away from them?
Thats my first growth and as a girl, i worry about everything haha. I watch videos all the time and i always find something thats wrong with my babies šŸ˜. The plant that you are talking about is a fast bud Banana purple punch and is supposed to be with 26% THC.. which is pretty high.. i keep my fingers crossed that she will become a killer. The other one is Purple haze.. old but gold šŸ‘ŒšŸ» and i absolutely love sativas ā¤ļø.
That is your problem! So many things look identical to another disease or deficiency or toxicity when you compare to others plants, if you divide to diagnose that way, definitely use 3-4 points of reference (multiple sources showing the exact same issue) for me if I had asked anyone woulda said mag def, but nope.

The color of mine should be a dead giveaway to that, no matter how much magnesium and calcium I feed the cali blues freak (I nicknamed freak after 2 consecutive runs off the same pheno And her leaves always look like they have mag def, (lighter color striping between the veins of the leaves) now I know itā€™s just a trait of the strain after testing with much higher cal mag levels on this current run than are usually needed (near double, I have been feeding fox farms cal mag at full directed rates, on top of my normal amounts of Gypsum and epsom that I usually feed my plants) nothing touched the ā€œdeficiencyā€ and clones have the same trait. Now I know, feed em normal and let ā€˜em rip

I found even if you do have a def, if itā€™s minimal, let it ride, donā€™t try a drastic swing to fix it, itā€™ll probably be the downfall of the plant, plants donā€™t like major changes quickly, but small changes over a period of time, They can handle and adapt to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom