why so bushy? Is this good? Will this make nice flowers?

• Thread starter Progshim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

It sounds like you're saying that your light schedule is 18 off/24 on. Am I reading that correctly? Or are those numbers meant to represent temperature in Celsius? I'm in the States, and although I would have to agree that the metric system is more efficient, it never really took hold here, especially temperature. Most Americans know a little bit of grams/kg, fewer know that booze comes in 750ml bottles, but Celsius might as well be Latin.

During Veg I do 18 hours on/ 6 hours off. Then to trigger flowering I switch to 12 hours on/ 12 hours off. This time around I'm thinking of increasing the flowering daytime light by 5 minutes per day, my thought being that more light means more growth. I'm not sure if that will work, I don't know if it will trigger re-vegging, but it might be worth a try.

Ten percent at a time is what I read, so that's what I did initially. Once I got them shaped like I wanted, I re-trimmed each plant every third day eventually removing more growth than I left on. I've got 3 plants growing in a small (4ft x 4ft) room, so they can't be too bushy.

Thank you for all the information, Oldmanbud50, and good luck to you too brother. 😊
I have 4 in a 3foot X 5 foot. Tent gets a bit full but trimming a little here n there works for me. The 5 mins extra or less don't make a difference in my opinion.. As I have to turn lights off manually and I have missed it a few times by 5 mins n don't notice any difference. But that's just my opinion.. Gl 2 u m8 n just let them grow.. I probably go up in mine 2 times a week.i don't touch them if there not needed.. Plus it's like watching time stand still. Lol..

Progshim

Progshim

I have 4 in a 3foot X 5 foot. Tent gets a bit full but trimming a little here n there works for me. The 5 mins extra or less don't make a difference in my opinion.. As I have to turn lights off manually and I have missed it a few times by 5 mins n don't notice any difference. But that's just my opinion.. Gl 2 u m8 n just let them grow.. I probably go up in mine 2 times a week.i don't touch them if there not needed.. Plus it's like watching time stand still. Lol..
My lights are on a timer but I've been watering by hand every day or every other. I'm sure that once the novelty wears off I'll get sick of tending them but it hasn't yet 😊

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

My lights are on a timer but I've been watering by hand every day or every other. I'm sure that once the novelty wears off I'll get sick of tending them but it hasn't yet 😊
True but I just prefer to do it all by hand. Carnt blame no-one but me if it goes wrong.. Iv about 3 to 4 weeks to go. On mine then on to the next 1.purple punch agent orange diesel. Mimosa. And white skunk. Gl m8. N happy growing.. Not been up for 2 days. So hopefully see a difference in mine.

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

True but I just prefer to do it all by hand. Carnt blame no-one but me if it goes wrong.. Iv about 3 to 4 weeks to go. On mine then on to the next 1.purple punch agent orange diesel. Mimosa. And white skunk. Gl m8. N happy growing.. Not been up for 2 days. So hopefully see a difference in mine.
Do u use your trash for eds. Or do u chuck it I use everything don't waste nothing lol. Keep ya pic n progress on here lots of good peeps on here.. Aqua gnick meds but to name a few.. Time for a fat 1 n chill.. Lol

Progshim

Progshim

Do u use your trash for eds. Or do u chuck it I use everything don't waste nothing lol. Keep ya pic n progress on here lots of good peeps on here.. Aqua gnick meds but to name a few.. Time for a fat 1 n chill.. Lol
Well, I mounted the second light and changed the timer for 12/12. I also ordered a roll of mylar (I used aluminum foil the first round), and a fan and filter so I can bring in air from outside at night. I'll put the fan on a second timer, suck in air for a few minutes every hour. If by trash you mean the clippings from trimming the buds, yes I made butter with them. For some reason my oldest son wanted the stems. I'll post some more pics after I install the new stuff. Have you ever tried breeding your own? Seems like a ton of work, but maybe it's worth it.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If you're not tending them every day you're neglecting them.😃 How can you leave your babies alone without at least poking your head in to say hi and hows things going?

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

Well, I mounted the second light and changed the timer for 12/12. I also ordered a roll of mylar (I used aluminum foil the first round), and a fan and filter so I can bring in air from outside at night. I'll put the fan on a second timer, suck in air for a few minutes every hour. If by trash you mean the clippings from trimming the buds, yes I made butter with them. For some reason my oldest son wanted the stems. I'll post some more pics after I install the new stuff. Have you ever tried breeding your own? Seems like a ton of work, but maybe it's worth it.
Ya m8 we just call it trash. 😁😁🇬🇧Have u tried making oil with ya trimming.. Butter. Oil. Tichure.. All good stuff for eds.. Not sure what ya son want the stems for mybe he chews on them. Only thing I chuck are the few fan leafs the rest I use. Makes some super strong butter and coconut oil.. 7oz per 4 250gs of butter. Half pint of water. In the slow cooker for 12 hours. Drain stain done.. Iv had my m8s go 🤢🤢🤢🤢. On 1 🍪😂😂

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

I'll leave the breeding to the experts m8.. Wudnt have a clue.. 100% u need to know a lot to be able to breed successfully.. I once said on another site that I had 1 plant pop 1 seed.on a blue cookies. And found 1 on a chocog. In my mind I cudnt figure out how there was no meat n veg. Visable.. So I ask boy. I shud of kept my gob shut. I got ripped to fck. Lol.. U know fck all leave to the pros.. Noob. Had to laugh. Some very touchy ppl out there. Sorry didn't reply. 🙏🙏👍👍

Progshim

Progshim

If you're not tending them every day you're neglecting them.😃 How can you leave your babies alone without at least poking your head in to say hi and hows things going?

So far I haven't tired of looking in on them, but I can tell they don't need me every day.

Ya m8 we just call it trash. 😁😁🇬🇧Have u tried making oil with ya trimming.. Butter. Oil. Tichure.. All good stuff for eds.. Not sure what ya son want the stems for mybe he chews on them. Only thing I chuck are the few fan leafs the rest I use. Makes some super strong butter and coconut oil.. 7oz per 4 250gs of butter. Half pint of water. In the slow cooker for 12 hours. Drain stain done.. Iv had my m8s go 🤢🤢🤢🤢. On 1 🍪😂😂

Just butter with the trim so far, remember I've only harvested one plant yet. BUT, I did order some 200 proof non-denatured ethanol online, and I've made two batches of tincture with 7 grams of bud each. After extracting I used a mini hair dryer to evaporate the alcohol, then added enough vegetable glycerin to fill a 5ml dropper bottle. 5 drops held under the tongue is enough for me. A heavy user might want more than 5 drops.

I'll leave the breeding to the experts m8.. Wudnt have a clue.. 100% u need to know a lot to be able to breed successfully.. I once said on another site that I had 1 plant pop 1 seed.on a blue cookies. And found 1 on a chocog. In my mind I cudnt figure out how there was no meat n veg. Visable.. So I ask boy. I shud of kept my gob shut. I got ripped to fck. Lol.. U know fck all leave to the pros.. Noob. Had to laugh. Some very touchy ppl out there. Sorry didn't reply. 🙏🙏👍👍

I'm just getting started growing. I may get bored with it at some point, but until then I plan to learn all I can. Knowing how something works is the key to doing it well. 😃 And fuck those trolls that wanna rip you for asking questions.

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

Never heard of anyone getting bored when growing the herb. Lol..am hoping for a nice batch of trimm this round.. Iam going to do a 2nd harvest. 3.4 weeks after 1st cut. See if them small nuggs at bottom form any more. Or I could just drop it all n use them for eds.. Gl m8

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah thats what id do brother...get that nxt grow straight in there 😃

Miiikke

Miiikke

Here are some pics, I hope you they're detailed enough. You can see how bushy the tops get, and the trunk pic shows all the places I trimmed a new branch away. You guys know more than I do, but I swear the mother plant didn't branch like this. The "BranchTop" pics show how every node sprouts a new, growing top.
Thanks again guys. And girls.
Wow! I didn’t expect that! Nice!👏🏼 Sounds like your accidentally on your way to some great training!

Progshim

Progshim

Never heard of anyone getting bored when growing the herb. Lol..am hoping for a nice batch of trimm this round.. Iam going to do a 2nd harvest. 3.4 weeks after 1st cut. See if them small nuggs at bottom form any more. Or I could just drop it all n use them for eds.. Gl m8

That's an interesting idea....It never occurred to me to take the big buds and leave the little ones to keep growing. Good luck with it, I hope it works.

Check out the pics below. Today I trimmed 29 (!!!) growing, branching tops from one plant. It's the same plant that I trimmed a bunch of tops from just last week. The biggest 6 tops all have a few nodes (with their own tops growing out of each node) and would be great for cloning, so I put them in a ziploc bag and texted some friends to offer them up, but no takers yet. The rest of them are in the pile of green, along with a few fan leaves that were in the way. This is why I started this post to begin with.... SO many branching tops. There is also a pic of my wife's first attempt at cloning. They made it from clones to saplings and I'm pretty proud of her. 😊

Wow! I didn’t expect that! Nice!👏🏼 Sounds like your accidentally on your way to some great training!

These are only my second try at growing, so it's all pretty much by accident lol. I read up on training after my first harvest because I was disappointed with the yield, so I'm hoping to persuade them to focus all their energy into about 8 or 9 main colas. Kind of like lollipopping.

Here she is, freshly clipped

JustClipped

These are today's clipped tops

TodaysClippings

Here are her first clones

HerFirstClones

Progshim

Progshim

I got the mylar installed. It beats the shit out of the aluminum foil I was using. I bought a roll 4' x 50', 2mil for I think $22 on Amazon. Plenty for all 4 walls and even the floor. I love it. I hope the girls do too.
Mylar1

Progshim

Progshim

Yes sorry forgot US diff to UK.. I have them at approx 18.9.f lights off. 26ish f wen lights on.. There on 12 12 light schedule.51 days into flower. UK temps are really low in UK at the mo but managing the temps..

12/12 light schedule for 2 weeks now, using just one 1500 watt LED. The girls are just starting to flower.

3 White Runtz in their new mylar room

TheGirls2WeeksIntoFlowering

You can see the flowers are just starting to come out. They're getting bushy again and need trimming.

MoeAtTwoWeeks

Here is the nursery. Two from seed and two clones of an unknown strain. (My wife's first attempt at cloning, I'm so proud of her 😊) The mother was a bag seed that grew as if it didn't want to grow. We cloned it because in the last week of its flowering period it turned completely purple. I'm hoping the clones grow with more enthusiasm.

TheNursery

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
12/12 light schedule for 2 weeks now, using just one 1500 watt LED. The girls are just starting to flower.

3 White Runtz in their new mylar room

View attachment 1107094

You can see the flowers are just starting to come out. They're getting bushy again and need trimming.

View attachment 1107095

Here is the nursery. Two from seed and two clones of an unknown strain. (My wife's first attempt at cloning, I'm so proud of her 😊) The mother was a bag seed that grew as if it didn't want to grow. We cloned it because in the last week of its flowering period it turned completely purple. I'm hoping the clones grow with more enthusiasm.

View attachment 1107098
clear cups is generally not a good thing!
you don’t want roots exposed to light, maybe slide that cup inside another one..

Progshim

Progshim

clear cups is generally not a good thing!
you don’t want roots exposed to light, maybe slide that cup inside another one..

Ok, good to know. I'll dig deeper and bury them up to the top of the dirt so I can pull them out to check their progress. Why is it bad for the roots to be exposed to light?

Progshim

Progshim

It's been 41 days since I changed the lights to 12/12, and the girls are looking awesome IMO. The defoliation experiment is going so well that I'm going to call it a success. After stripping most of the lower leaves and bud sites the girls are putting all their energy into the tops, and with the other changes I've made (more lights, mylar, air and temp control), the yield is much greater. Also, the buds are much, much denser. They still have 19 days to go, and I can't wait to see the final results.

Here are a couple of pics

Day41 4

Day41 3

Day41 2

Day41 1

I'll keep posting for anyone that's interested.

@Oldmanbud, what do you think?

SSgrower

SSgrower

I water 3-4 times a day since I am in coco/perlite, what is your media? The girls look great and your doing a fine job, thanks for the views.

Latest posts

Top Bottom