Why the size difference? Mycorrhizae? Air flow?

• Thread starter Munch517
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Munch517

Munch517

About my grow setup: I'm currently growing 8 plants, four Gorilla Glue and four Do Si Do, scrogged in a 4'x8' area. Each plant was topped four times for 16 tops apiece and is in a 7 gallon smart pot filled with BioBizz lite mix. I'm using the complete heavy 16 line of nutrients except I swapped their roots for House & Garden Roots excelerator and added Terpenez, I pH to 6.0-6.3. Lights are two Fluence Spydr2p, total room is 6'x12'x7'. CO2 from bottles @1300ppm, 80f / 45%rh day 74f / 40% night.

The differences in how the plants were grown: When transplanting from 5 gallon to 7 gallon pots (I will be going straight from 2g to 7g in the future as opposed to 1g to 5g to 7g), I repotted 6 of my plants at first. Two of the Gorilla Glues weren't quite ready, as they had been cut a week or so after the others, so they got potted two weeks later and I forgot to add mycorrhizae to the soil like did on the other six. One week after that all four Gorilla Glues (four plants further back in the first picture below) were very similar in size. In total the first six plants spent 5 weeks vegging in 7g pots and the second two spent 3 weeks vegging in 7g pots.

In flower, the size difference became more and more apparent. I haven't cut yet so I don't have a weight in but I'll let the video below speak for itself. The left half is the two plants that were potted earlier with mycorrhizae in the soil, the right half are the other two without it. The only other difference is that the left two plants are exposed to a strong upward air flow from a floor fan, which I've read can make a huge difference.

My question: Which factor is the most important in the size difference apparent in the video? Is it the later transplant even though the plants were of similar size at the beginning of flower? Is it the mycorrhizae in the soil? Or is it more likely because of the upward air flow?

Two weeks before flipping:
IMG_20191228_055512.jpg

At just under 8 weeks:

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Ok assuming you had clones, judging by the first photo I would hazard a guess and say some plants had a harder time establishing than others. Perhaps drooping clawing etc after a water. Bio bizz is a Pete mix, nothing wrong with Pete at all, but I can just tell by looking it's to little perilite, highly likely the soil itself held to much water. Some plants overcome that faster than others. Specifically plants that have more airflow close to the rootmass, it dries to a tolerable consistency faster.

I would do everything the same next run add 30 to 50% perilite and see how it works out.

That's my best guess anyways, the end results look great, I love a neat looking scrog.

Munch517

Munch517

Ok assuming you had clones, judging by the first photo I would hazard a guess and say some plants had a harder time establishing than others. Perhaps drooping clawing etc after a water. Bio bizz is a Pete mix, nothing wrong with Pete at all, but I can just tell by looking it's to little perilite, highly likely the soil itself held to much water. Some plants overcome that faster than others. Specifically plants that have more airflow close to the rootmass, it dries to a tolerable consistency faster.

I would do everything the same next run add 30 to 50% perilite and see how it works out.

That's my best guess anyways, the end results look great, I love a neat looking scrog.

I hadn't thought it about much but I'd definitely agree that the soil could use more perlite, I'm probably going to do that if I stick with that soil next time. I can't imagine that's what made the difference in size though, all plants were potted in the same soil save for the lack of Mykos in the smaller two GGs.

Thanks for your thoughts, as for my scrog I just adapted it from what I've seen other people do. I had to build a rolling cart with the scrog attached so I could get to all sides of the plants in my small space, it's worked out well so far.

Top Bottom