Why unsalted butter when infusing cannabis?

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This is my first attempt at making cannabutter. It looks simple enough but do I have to go out and get unsalted butter? I have butter wtf is the difference in making it with salted butter?

TSD

TSD

Clarify your butter first, the milk solids and salt will drop to the bottom and foam up, scoop the foam off and scoop out the golden clarified butter. Just put it in a pan and bring it to a simmer on low heat and once it's bubbling let it go for a few minutes. This also helps the butter fats bind to the thc and it can end up a bit more potent. Fyi I've made butter in the past and the only difference with the salted is you see.some salt in it once it settles... taste and potency wise, not much difference. I've learned more about edibles now and I only use clarified butter.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
IMO It doesn’t taste good in any recipes. But I don’t use it for medicine. Good luck.
Thanks folks, I've started the process, 7 grams bud - 32 grams butter...cannabis in the oven at 250 - 3/4 hr. If its just a taste and looks difference then I can get over that. Its for my wife to help with her sleep, she's restless at night, getting up to go pee and tossing & turning. eatables help her sleep through the night. lol sometimes a bit too early and is out her her recliner. ah well sleep is sleep.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Right on, PC. It will probably help. Tell her to hold her nose when she chokes it down. LOL
I had popcorn one time with unsalted butter on it.....tasted like it smelled like someones sour socks. It's been in my mind for over 40 years, I don't think I could cook with it. I don't cook very often so using it isn't something I'd be familiar with, it just sounds gross ( from memory ).

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Lol! I think the reason they call for unsalted is because it will be used to bake cookies, bread, rolls, etc. Salt I think interferes with The rising properties. So the finished product is not as airy and light. So if she likes the effect maybe snag some unsalted next time. You can always add salt to the finished product. If you are not using for baking leavened goodies. Good luck man, hope it works for her!

TSD

TSD

Right on, PC. It will probably help. Tell her to hold her nose when she chokes it down. LOL
I make edibles with my butter and you can't even taste it... I make fudge. Chocolate and peanut butter are the best at covering the flavor... strain it through a cheese cloth and only do one good squeeze to get out the excess butter... a lot of chlorophyll gets pushed through with excess squeezing and that's what gives you the grassy taste. I've had edibles where they didn't strain the weed out and yes those taste disgusting.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I make edibles with my butter and you can't even taste it... I make fudge. Chocolate and peanut butter are the best at covering the flavor... strain it through a cheese cloth and only do one good squeeze to get out the excess butter... a lot of chlorophyll gets pushed through with excess squeezing and that's what gives you the grassy taste. I've had edibles where they didn't strain the weed out and yes those taste disgusting.
I didn't have any cheese cloth so I used nylons. It has a finer mesh than cheese cloth so I figured wtf. It worked I have the butter made but its a dark green. It taste okay, we'll see tonight if it gets her off or not. its not as clean as it should be but eh first try and it tastes fine.

100 5963
TSD

TSD

I didn't have any cheese cloth so I used nylons. It has a finer mesh than cheese cloth so I figured wtf. It worked I have the butter made but its a dark green. It taste okay, we'll see tonight if it gets her off or not. its not as clean as it should be but eh first try and it tastes fine.
That's normal, mine is always very green. I bought a magic butter machine and it was worth it, makes the process easier if you're just doing small batches.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
That's normal, mine is always very green. I bought a magic butter machine and it was worth it, makes the process easier if you're just doing small batches.
The stuff on the top is just a thin coating of ugly underneath it looks much better.

NairnM16

NairnM16

Nobody wants extremely salty edibles, there already buttery enough 😂

freezeland2

freezeland2

im not sure if theres any real reason but a lot of recipes call for salt, and adding salted butter throws off the recipe.
Go look on the back of a package of Semi sweet tollhouse chocolate chips. Calls for 1 cup of softened butter (does not specify salted or unsalted) and also a tsp of salt amongst other ingredients. They taste just fine to me using salted butter.

Allegedly

Allegedly

The stuff on the top is just a thin coating of ugly underneath it looks much better.

Go look on the back of a package of Semi sweet tollhouse chocolate chips. Calls for 1 cup of softened butter (does not specify salted or unsalted) and also a tsp of salt amongst other ingredients. They taste just fine to me using salted butter.

I asked land of lakes
Capture

Top Bottom