Why wont my bho stick

• Thread starter stonymcpothead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stonymcpothead

stonymcpothead

I have made some bho and for some reason its really oily.
Even after keeping it in the freezer it still won't stick to my tool it's super slippery. The only way I can get it a little of the parchment is by sliding the tool around it but it's not collecting. Never had this happen before someone know the solution?

Why wont my bho stick
beluga

beluga

Any info on your process would help.
What kind of starting material - fresh, dried, frozen? What brand of butane?
What size mesh is it going through?
Has it been purged? If so, at what temp for how long, vacuum or water bath?

stonymcpothead

stonymcpothead

Any info on your process would help.
What kind of starting material - fresh, dried, frozen? What brand of butane?
What size mesh is it going through?
Has it been purged? If so, at what temp for how long, vacuum or water bath?
Fresh frozen material trim.
Idk some Dutch brand but its clean.
Mesh is 2 coffee filters amd a strainer.
Purge is water bath and later a jar in boiling water.

IMG 20220916 WA0010
IMG 20220916 WA0018
IMG 20220916 WA0027
beluga

beluga

Fresh frozen material trim.
Idk some Dutch brand but its clean.
Mesh is 2 coffee filters amd a strainer.
Purge is water bath and later a jar in boiling water.
I think your issue is that you're getting lots of other plant material in there and you're overheating it.

You need a fine mesh to filter the resins from everything else, something around 30 microns should get you a clearer end product. Screenprinting mesh is a great choice, I use a mesh count of 390 which is about 40 microns and it even that makes a nice end product. You can go even lower, down to ~10 microns, to remove even more plant matter like waxes etc.

And boiling is way too hot - you want to aim for 130ºF/54ºC for about an hour with a hot water purge.

stonymcpothead

stonymcpothead

Okay I think I get it.
Te thing is I make my bho always like this and this is the first time it happend.
I made this last week This is same material same method different result.
I dont know what I did different.
Can I use a cheesecloth? As mesh?

IMG 20220911 WA0011
IMG 20220911 WA0009
beluga

beluga

Interesting. I'm certainly no expert, maybe some else can chime in as to why it could be so runny compared to others done with the same method.

Coffee filters are probably going to be finer and definitely more consistent than cheesecloth. A fine durable mesh is ideal if not imperative to take that from a brown-green yellow to a nice golden yellow. You're getting a lot of excess plant material in there.

stonymcpothead

stonymcpothead

Interesting. I'm certainly no expert, maybe some else can chime in as to why it could be so runny compared to others done with the same method.

Coffee filters are probably going to be finer and definitely more consistent than cheesecloth. A fine durable mesh is ideal if not imperative to take that from a brown-green yellow to a nice golden yellow. You're getting a lot of excess plant material in there.
I think I figured it out!!
I has somewhere to do with the purge.
The remains in the Pyrex tray are sticky as f#ck.
I think you where right about the temp of the purge.
Gonna soak another batch when I have time and try to purge it in my oven. (I don't have a vacuum purge)

beluga

beluga

I think I figured it out!!
I has somewhere to do with the purge.
The remains in the Pyrex tray are sticky as f#ck.
I think you where right about the temp of the purge.
Gonna soak another batch when I have time and try to purge it in my oven. (I don't have a vacuum purge)
Nice! Hopefully that works.
Definitely report back. I don't see too many posts on the topic that have pictures of the troubleshooting and I'm sure it could help people in the future if that does resolve your issue.

I do still recommend getting a finer mesh on that to get yourself some better extract.
The rig I use is just a stainless steel turkey baster with a hose clamp securing a small square of screenprinting mesh. Pretty simple and cheap and it tidies up the process a bit compared to open extraction.

stonymcpothead

stonymcpothead

Nice! Hopefully that works.
Definitely report back. I don't see too many posts on the topic that have pictures of the troubleshooting and I'm sure it could help people in the future if that does resolve your issue.

I do still recommend getting a finer mesh on that to get yourself some better extract.
The rig I use is just a stainless steel turkey baster with a hose clamp securing a small square of screenprinting mesh. Pretty simple and cheap and it tidies up the process a bit compared to open extraction.
Yes I'm glad I'm so passionate I take a million pictures everybatch I make. Hahaha
I use a thermos to soak the butane.
For the mesh I'm def gonna look into one. Thank you.

stonymcpothead

stonymcpothead

Okay another try,
smaller batch this time.
Now im not curing in a jar but using my oven instead.
Same method as before used a thermos to soak frozen material In butane.
Cant wait to see the end result but it looks alot better than the previous batch.

20220924 152252
20220924 150710

Latest posts

Top Bottom